Are the minimum OS requirements absolute?

AmigaOS specific forum
ivory
User
User

Are the minimum OS requirements absolute?

Post by ivory »

I have some older amigas (a couple 1000's and a 2000 with os 2.?)

Is there any chance the compiler would run on these machines? Even if I run UAE, those are the roms I have.
Doobrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Are the minimum OS requirements absolute?

Post by Doobrey »

Dunno, the docs say you need 3.0 as a minimum, Fred must have written that for a reason.
You could always try to run it under 2.x, and see what happens.. but my guess is it`ll come up with a load of messages saying it needs V39 of whatever libraries it uses.

I`ve spent the last week or so using it on WinUAE. The hardest bit is trying to remember that the old miggy version is several steps behind the windows version, and even though the help file for the windows version says a command runs on Win32 and Amiga, it isn`t always true !! :evil:
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It needs AmigaOS 3.0+ because of Pool'ed memory function support which helps a lot to have a clean design.
Seldon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Seldon »

Hi Fred,
do you plan to move the current AmigaOS version to OS4 and PPC ? You had already a PPC compiler and since (if I am not wrong) you're making a Mac version, I don't think an OS4 port it'd be difficult. Of course to port all the .LIBs to native PPC won't be easy, but at first the 68k versions can be fine since OS4 has its 68k emulator. The AmigaOS API hasn't changed a lot, except the calling convention for libraries (though the old system is still supported for 68k libraries).
Doobrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Doobrey »

Seldon wrote:.. but at first the 68k versions can be fine since OS4 has its 68k emulator.
Does the current Amiga version of PB do everything the proper way, ie through the OS API, or do some of the command libs directly access the hardware?
I know that some people on the AmiBlitz mailing list were having problems with Blitz programs running on OS4 and Morphos cos some of the userlibs bypassed the API :evil:
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

Sprite/Screen and Sound libs use hardware
the rest are running fine (usually) under MOS

maybe a SDL port osprite/screen/sound/joystick port ...someday :?:
Christos