PureBasic for OS4

AmigaOS specific forum
dmoc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by dmoc »

I have an Amiga 2000 + loads of stuff including some mags that I reckon may be collectibles. Worth anything?
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dreamland Fantasy »

@dmoc

Wouldn't you be better trying somewhere like Amibench or eBay?

Kind regards,

Francis
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Fred

Hi Fred,

It must be about time for me to pester you again about an update for the Amiga version of PureBasic to get it running on OS4. OS4 native version would be nice (hint, hint! :wink:).

Seriously though, any news on an update for Amiga systems, especially since the Mac version has now been released?

Kind regards,

Francis.
Andre
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by Andre »

@Francis: you can read something about PureBasic for AmigaOS in the large interview with Fred. Take a look at www.PureArea.net :wink:
Bye,
...André
(PureBasicTeam::Docs & Support - PureArea.net | Order:: PureBasic | PureVisionXP)
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Andre

It's been a few weeks since I was last at the PureArea website. It's a good article. Thanks! :D

It's good news regarding the Amiga update now working under AmigaOS 4, although disappointing to hear that there are still no plans for an OS4 native version. :( I'm sure Fred has his reasons.

Ach well, it just means that I need to persevere with C programming for now to do anything on my AmigaOS 4 machine. :roll:

Kind regards,

Francis.
Amiga5k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Amiga5k »

I'm sure Fred would agree that if he were cloned into four people who could each devote all of their time to one platform, that there would certainly be time for them all. But he is now doing this as his sole source of income, so I'm sure we can all appreciate the fact that he must carefully choose what priorities to choose when working on updates and new versions. With the Amiga representing, I would guess, a teeny tiny segment of even the PB community we can't expect him to be able to do all of these things. Is the time required worth the payoff?

Now, if the Amiga version were released into the public domain (with restrictions), perhaps someone or a group of Amiga enthusiasts would be willing to take on the task. I wouldn't blame Fred one bit for NOT doing this, however, since a lot of time and effort has gone into his first baby. ;)

Let's see how AOS4 goes first. I check their site a few times a year, and not much seems to have happened in the way of actually releasing anything to the public - but I could be wrong! I haven't been there in probably 6 months or so. I'd like nothing more than to see a version of AmigaOS released that could run on a PC (if there is no Amiga hardware available). Until then, though, I won't be holding my breath... :(

Russell
*** Diapers and politicians need to be changed...for the same reason! ***
*** Make every vote equal: Abolish the Electoral College ***
*** www.au.org ***
BinoX
User
User

Post by BinoX »

I would still like to see PureBasic for AOS4...

Now the MacOS X port is done hopefully that'll lead to an OS4 development as they both use G3/G4 CPUs :)

So, please Fred, if you get a chance :)
Amiga5k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Amiga5k »

BinoX wrote:I would still like to see PureBasic for AOS4...

Now the MacOS X port is done hopefully that'll lead to an OS4 development as they both use G3/G4 CPUs :)

So, please Fred, if you get a chance :)
Intel is on the way for mac...but I don't see a good enough reason for Fred to spend time (and $$$) on developing for AOS, which even under the best conditions would be an extremely small number of users. If this was an open source community with "nothing to lose" then perhaps it could happen.

Hmm, that gives me an idea...Maybe Fred would consider releasing the Amiga version of PB into the public domain so development could proceed in this regard...with the understanding that no further official development would be made for it. This could allow someone (or a group of someones) to adapt PB for the PPC processor or whatever. I seem to remember that Blitz did something similar when it abandoned Amiga support: It changed its name to AmiBlitz and went into the public domain (Don't know if source code became available for it).

Russell
[EDIT] Just realized that almost everything I said here was already said in my November post... Guess my memory isn't...um....how does the saying go? Oh yeah, what it used to be :oops: [/EDIT]
*** www.au.org ***
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Amiga5K

I'm just wondering if it is a good idea for Fred to advertise for help on the Amiga forums to get a dedicated Amiga development team together for AmigaOS 3.x and 4.0 versions of PureBasic, but not necessarily make it open source.

The problem as I see it if the Amiga version of PureBasic went open source to an independent team is that it would end up becoming something completely different in the way it works from the official versions leading to numerous compatibility problems.

If money for a new AmigaOS 4 version of PureBasic is a problem, I am willing to pay £100 for it. I'm sure that there are others who would be willing to do the same.

Kind regards,

Francis
Amiga5k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Amiga5k »

Open source can have its risks, but when it is managed by a dedicated core team things can stay on track: Blender3d is a very complex program, but manages to be run quite well, Lazarus, a Delphi clone, is amazingly well supported and is very true to its mission (100% Delphi compatibility). There are many such examples in the open source community that show that as long as there is a focused mission and dedicated group of core contributors, things can stay on track.

M.A.M.E. is another excellent example of a highly organized all-volunteer programming group.

Anyway, it could be possible to remain true to PB even in an open-source environment. Of course, it is totally up to Fred as to what the future of PB-AOS is...

Russell
*** www.au.org ***
Flype
Addict
Addict

Post by Flype »

Maybe offtopic, but
you 'amiga guys' did you ever seen the software 'Feelin' which is a free and much more powerful than the very famous 'MUI' ?

I tried and it's very impressive even on amiga3.1 + winuae.

Just look this pics:

http://www.gofromiel.com/feelin/screens ... i/20060112
No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language.
There are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes. Herbert Mayer
Amiga5k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Amiga5k »

Looks very nice indeed. One thing I always liked about AmigaOS was the fact that the icons could be (almost) any size and shape, and programmers seemed to take more pride in designing cool icons for their programs. (I also liked the fact that the icon info itself told what program opened what, rather than having to fill some "registry"...)

But anyway, I wish Amiga would go ahead and release SOMETHING so the world can make up its mind...

Russell
*** www.au.org ***
Thalius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Thalius »

Ill be dev porting some of my PB Software to Amiga OS4 if there will be a Version available. =)

btw Fred.. Poke Steffen a bit =P he needs it i know he always is in Stress but still *ggg*.

*Hands Fred a Stick* =)

Thalius
"In 3D there is never enough Time to do Things right,
but there's always enough Time to make them *look* right."
"psssst! i steal signatures... don't tell anyone! ;)"
xperience2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by xperience2003 »

If money for a new AmigaOS 4 version of PureBasic is a problem, I am willing to pay £100 for it. I'm sure that there are others who would be willing to do the same.
yess...please add math-commands , decode-commands and a nice nt/st routine
and i will pay for it too
xperience2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by xperience2003 »

<off topic>
hey^^
is here an amigafreak who can help me import gl to pure-amiga???

link to ultimate fun..and we know amiga isn't dead

<on topic>

amiga rulez

greetz XP^Tristar