Create your own icons for toolbars etc. with PureBasic

Share your advanced PureBasic knowledge/code with the community.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Re: Create your own icons for toolbars etc. with PureBasic

Post by TI-994A »

davido wrote:Anything we post on this site is available to both honourable and dishonourable users...
True. Nevertheless, learning from openly available sources, and consequently applying and implementing that knowledge in our own works, does not infringe any legal or ethical licensing models.

IMHO. :lol:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
collectordave
Addict
Addict

Post by collectordave »

Think I have found a way round any problems explained a little on this thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72417 to save cluttering this topic.

Redrawn a lot of icons to fit.

Regards

CD
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

Regarding the licensing issue:

Many people agree that the code they have posted here in the forum can be used freely by anyone in any way (including commercial). Other people who posted code here, and I asked them for a license for their unlicensed code, suddenly mentioned that their code could be used freely, but not commercially. Again other people, demanding to be mentioned as the author or co-author of their code in republications of the code.
So there are different opinions of the authors and co-authors of the codes published here in the forums. An open source license provides clarity on how code can be reused, without bothering code authors with usage questions, because usage rights are unclear.

I think, it would be the best now to select a license and then ask all authors, whether they agree with licensing to this license or not. The codes whose authors don't agree with the chosen license could be rewritten with a different programming style and then placed under the chosen license, because the re-writer himself is then the author of the code. As others have mentioned, ideas you can get from other codes are not copyrighted. The ideas are protected by patents and, I think, almost nobody here will have a patent on their idea.

If someone wants to give up all rights and doesn't want to be mentioned as an author, I suggest the The Unlicense, otherwise the MIT License.
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
collectordave
Addict
Addict

Post by collectordave »

Correct me if i am wrong but I thought that publishing code on a public forum with no explicit licensing requirements placed that code firmly in the public domain after which it cannot be copyrighted.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

@Sicro:
I agree with you.
Unfortunately, I can't reach Oma right now.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

collectordave wrote:Correct me if i am wrong but I thought that publishing code on a public forum with no explicit licensing requirements placed that code firmly in the public domain after which it cannot be copyrighted.
It's the other way around.

No license: No one may use the code in products that are later republished. It makes no difference whether the end product is source code again or binary (EXE, DLL).

With Open Source License: Anyone can use the code without asking the code authors. The license conditions must of course be respected.

Further information:
https://choosealicense.com/no-permission/
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... on-a-forum
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
jack
Addict
Addict

Post by jack »

in the early PC days, Public Domain meant just that, but now most people demand a license :(
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

I just uploaded a new version.
Barely three years have passed, and the project already has a written license! :D

Current changes (2019-04-10)
Changed
  • I've added an optional parameter to davido's nice Filter() procedure, which allows to draw only the outline of the filter.
  • minor cosmetic changes
New
  • written license
  • small program "newicon.pb", that could/should help creating your own vector icons
PeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PeDe »

I would like to thank you for this good idea with the Vector-Icons.
Since I want to use my own icons or graphics, I have written a conversion tool for CorelDraw 12 in VBA.

Here the link to the CorelDraw 12 file with the VBA macro:
[Link removed]

And here is a screenshot of CorelDraw and the result:
[Link removed]

And there is also a demo code in the German forum:
https://www.purebasic.fr/german/viewtop ... 00#p356300

Even though CorelDraw 12 is ancient, I like to use it.

Edit:
There are now also linear and circular colour gradients.
[Link removed]

Edit 2:
If you use the Marko or VBA module as a GMS file, CorelDraw will also work with more than 2 GB RAM. Otherwise I cannot load the document with macro, there is always an error message at 50%.
As GMS file everything works and you can also drag the macro into the toolbar and assign a keyboard shortcut.

Here the link to the GMS file and two template files:
[Link removed]

The file should be copied to the directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel Graphics 12\Draw\GMS\'. The VBA help describes what a GMS file is.

Peter
Last edited by PeDe on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kwai chang caine
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Kwai chang caine »

Thanks at you two for sharing codes 8)
And obviously thanks to Little John for his nice shared tool 8)
ImageThe happiness is a road...
Not a destination