UseJPEGImageDecoder + LoadImage = false virus alerts

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
PB Fanatic
User
User

UseJPEGImageDecoder + LoadImage = false virus alerts

Post by PB Fanatic »

Got a problem... when I have UseJPEGImageDecoder and LoadImage TOGETHER in my app, Avast throws out a false positive virus alert, and if I submit my exe to VirusTotal, it shows 9 false positives from various virus scanners, too.

However, if I remove UseJPEGImageDecoder, the false alert goes away, and Avast and VirusTotal are happy.
But if I keep UseJPEGImageDecoder and remove LoadImage instead, then Avast and VirusTotal are also happy.

So I need to either remove UseJPEGImageDecoder or LoadImage. :( Therefore, is there a way I can call LoadImage via API instead, in the hopes that the false positives go away? Or is there a FAST method of loading JPEG images with LoadImage that doesn't require UseJPEGImageDecoder? Maybe using the FreeImage.dll? I don't know how to do that, so if maybe someone can give me an example of loading/saving JPEGs with FreeImage? :)

And no, I'm not going to submit my exe to 9 different scanners as a false positive, because that's too much hassle and time for them to update, and end users might not update their scanners anyway, so they'll still see the alerts.
c4s
Addict
Addict

Re: UseJPEGImageDecoder + LoadImage = false virus alerts

Post by c4s »

PB Fanatic wrote:[...] So I need to either remove UseJPEGImageDecoder or LoadImage. :(
No, don't do that because it's certainly not an error on your (or PureBasic's) side.
PB Fanatic wrote:And no, I'm not going to submit my exe to 9 different scanners as a false positive, because that's too much hassle and time for them to update, and end users might not update their scanners anyway, so they'll still see the alerts.
Usually the detection definitions are updated automatically. If you like it or not that's probably the best way to go. By the way: I too have an application that uses UseJPEGImageDecoder and LoadImage -- no false-positive detections though (at least for now).

Generally more information on this:
If any of you native English speakers have any suggestions for the above text, please let me know (via PM). Thanks!
PB Fanatic
User
User

Post by PB Fanatic »

c4s wrote:Usually the detection definitions are updated automatically
I just re-uploaded my exe to VirusTotal again, with UseJPEGImageDecoder + LoadImage inside, and this time it only reports 2 false positives instead of 9! :shock: WTF? I think what you said above is right.

But Avast still complains about a virus. :( I can't have my users seeing this.

jpd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jpd »

PB 5.10 Windows 7 x64 SP1
juror
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by juror »

Good info here.
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 7&p=448128

See last post for an "expert" answer ;)
PB Fanatic
User
User

Post by PB Fanatic »

The last post there is for using an API call to trick the AV software, which is what I asked for in the first post of this thread, ie. how to call LoadImage as API instead of the regular command. I don't know how to do it, as I'm not an expert, despite what people may think.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »