When to free the memory, or another things?

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Re: When to free the memory, or another things?

Post by Caronte3D »

Thank you all for your answers, I will investigate a little more to see if I find a valid solution
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Both.

It has nothing to do with calling conventions, but it's clearly a bug in the threadsave library.
Nothing clear about it I'm afraid since Caronte3D has not indicated whether the dll has been compiled with the threadsafe switch and so this may not even be an issue. I'm not saying that there isn't a bug in the threadsafe lib, but not clear in this case whether this could be the root cause. Over to Caronte3D! :)
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
sq4
User
User

Post by sq4 »

srod wrote:
Both.

It has nothing to do with calling conventions, but it's clearly a bug in the threadsave library.
Nothing clear about it I'm afraid since Caronte3D has not indicated whether the dll has been compiled with the threadsafe switch and so this may not even be an issue. I'm not saying that there isn't a bug in the threadsafe lib, but not clear in this case whether this could be the root cause. Over to Caronte3D! :)
Indeed, I was only referring to my experiences.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

I experienced an x86 stdcall dll crash on calls to closelibrary() in detach().
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
sq4
User
User

Post by sq4 »

skywalk wrote:I experienced an x86 stdcall dll crash on calls to closelibrary() in detach().
If you mean that you call closelibrary in detach_process, then that's a no go.
See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... t-function
The entry-point function should perform only simple initialization tasks. It must not call the LoadLibrary or LoadLibraryEx function (or a function that calls these functions), because this may create dependency loops in the DLL load order. This can result in a DLL being used before the system has executed its initialization code. Similarly, the entry-point function must not call the FreeLibrary function (or a function that calls FreeLibrary) during process termination, because this can result in a DLL being used after the system has executed its termination code.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

srod wrote:Nothing clear about it I'm afraid since Caronte3D has not indicated whether the dll has been compiled with the threadsafe switch and so this may not even be an issue.
Yes, the dll has been compiled with the threadsafe switch because I create several threads from the dll.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

sq4 wrote:
skywalk wrote:I experienced an x86 stdcall dll crash on calls to closelibrary() in detach().
If you mean that you call closelibrary in detach_process, then that's a no go.
See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... t-function
Thanks, I learned that the hard way. Dropped the closelibrary() calls and all good.
The entry-point function should perform only simple initialization tasks. It must not call the LoadLibrary or LoadLibraryEx function...
But, the dll had to call load library :!: Not sure what they mean by that.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

@skywalk

I think what MS are saying is that the DLL should not be loaded during the time the Program is started. It can be loaded later, on demand. Likewise, the DLL should not be closed or freed at the same time as the Program - so when the Program is closed, that needs careful management, it can't just be exited when WaitWindowEvent() = #PB_Event_CloseWindow for example. The snag is, most times you will only want to close the lib when the User wants to close the Program, so the Program needs to know if and when the DLL is fully released before closing itself.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Caronte3D wrote:
srod wrote:Nothing clear about it I'm afraid since Caronte3D has not indicated whether the dll has been compiled with the threadsafe switch and so this may not even be an issue.
Yes, the dll has been compiled with the threadsafe switch because I create several threads from the dll.
In which case it looks like you have probably run up against the same bug/issue that sq4 has mentioned. You might want to try and remove the threadsafe option and employ your own thread protection mechanisms (mutex, semaphore etc.) The biggest problem might be avoiding the use of PB's string library as this is not threadsafe without the threadsafe compiler switch. Try and avoid using strings in the dll threads (main dll process is fine) - perhaps use memory buffers/pointers instead. I'm sure sq4 can advise given his experience with this issue.
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

I use too much strings at the moment and I'm in a hurry to finish :? I will take a look again when finish this project.
Thanks!