Blog post !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Re: Blog post !

Post by skywalk »

Why does
Goto end;
End:
Appear in the syntax conversion?

How does the debugger work with the C emit option vs FASM?
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

goto end: is always generated when using ProcedureReturn, even if there is no code in between (last statement of the procedure). It is suppressed by the C optimizer, don't worry. The debugger works the same, but some functions/check are not yet supported.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

If you have a bigger project with lots of includes, is the Purebasic compiler going to crunch that into a single C code file? Or will the include structure persists? Because only that way you will have fast compiling times when you change just one file.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Yes, makes sense for the C optimizer.
I also like the C format you showed. Allman style is by far the easiest to read.

NicTheQuick - SQLite also does an amalgamated C file prior to compilation and it is indeed slow to compile.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

skywalk wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:16 pmI also like the C format you showed. Allman style is by far the easiest to read.
Nice. I didn't know about the names of these styles. I prefer K&R. It's more compact and also easy to read.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Trust me, K&R is horrible when the code gets large and inline comments and multiple developers.
Allman solves all that noise.
Kiffi
Addict
Addict

Post by Kiffi »

NicTheQuick wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:29 pmI prefer K&R. It's more compact and also easy to read.
+1

@skywalk: 2:1 :P
Hygge
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Fred's code was Allman sooooo, 2=2, tie!
But look to the polling and see Allman wins there too. :P
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

skywalk wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:38 pmFred's code was Allman sooooo, 2=2, tie!
But look to the polling and see Allman wins there too. :P
Well, maybe the poll is that weird with its 7 digit percentage numbers because he uses Allman :P
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

I didn't know these styles had names :shock: (thanks skywalk)
I also still prefer Allman to K&R although the latter is more readable when folded.
However, when I look at the examples from a distance, GNU indent style seems to be the best (PB display vertical lines, so more easy to read).

@Fred: Do you have tested with PellesC compiler (for Windows version). It's very fast but is he compatible with libs ? and is license and author agree ?

:wink:
gekkonier
User
User

Post by gekkonier »

Hi!
I've just read about the plans to implement a c backend.
I enjoy!
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

NicTheQuick wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:03 pm If you have a bigger project with lots of includes, is the Purebasic compiler going to crunch that into a single C code file? Or will the include structure persists? Because only that way you will have fast compiling times when you change just one file.
Unfortuntately, PureBasic is not built at all to generate several objs, so it is not possible.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Do you suggest we collapse our lib's to a dll or can we create static libs in the future?
gekkonier
User
User

Post by gekkonier »

Will we be able to procedurereturn structs?
In C it's possible, so that could be a thing, or?
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

skywalk wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 pmDo you suggest we collapse our lib's to a dll or can we create static libs in the future?
Static libraries can be created even now.
This is done by the tools TailBite, coffit and etc. But unfortunately they are very dependent on the PB static libraries.
Switching to C won't change anything and the dependencies will remain.