[Devblog] 2D Isometric MMO Game

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Env
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[Devblog] 2D Isometric MMO Game

Post by Env »

Hi all,

Thought I might share some development stuff I'm doing at the moment to pacify quiet hours in work... The goal is to make a 2D MMO isometric engine, from the server, to the client, all within PureBasic, to be as cross platform as possible (which means Windows and Linux.. possibly Mac OS in future).

Isometric games are a dime a dozen, so my aim is to make something a bit more pleasing to the eye, and have the world as interactive as possible to swing away from the very linear quest systems etc that you tend to find in a lot of home-brew titles.

Although I have a few features in development (mostly server side), here's something I can share, and that's the Dynamic Lightmapping system which features ambient daytime lighting (with a customisable gradient), and the ability to add point lights with range, intensity and colour:

View a video of it working here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfYWueHufv8

As you can probably tell, the demo isn't isometric, however, the lightmapping system is universal in the sense that you can query the light colour at any coordinate, and translate that into isometric to apply it to an isometric map
Thanks!
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

Re: [Devblog] 2D Isometric MMO Game

Post by GeoTrail »

Interesting :D
I Stepped On A Cornflake!!! Now I'm A Cereal Killer!
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

Im also curious as im working on a similar project.
I wish u the best of luck :)
Keep us updated!
Env
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Env »

Mijikai wrote:Im also curious as im working on a similar project.
I wish u the best of luck :)
Keep us updated!
Exciting stuff :) Can't wait to see how you get on!

Going to be working on tidying up the lightmapping code today as well as putting it in it's own thread so that higher resolution maps don't affect user experience, then prepare a content framework and assemble an asset system to allow for protected content as well as modding ability.. Stay tuned
Thanks!
Env
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Env »

Just a minor update on the light engine code... Gave it an entire overhaul and it now runs in it's own separate thread which means main game logic and the higher priority drawing (like the actual map, and GUI etc) wont be hindered if it lags behind by a couple of milliseconds.. Worst case with loads of lights means the light map will jitter from one state to another without the entire game lagging :)

Also improved blending

Screenshot

Oh and the density of the lightmap can be changed in realtime too without having to change any maths outside of it's scope.

Thanks!