[GAME] Sweet Tiles

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
neuronic
User
User

[GAME] Sweet Tiles

Post by neuronic »

Hi everyone!

I have just uploaded my latest creation to my website: Sweet Tiles. A simple match three puzzle game with a twist.

The original plan was to finish it before Christmas but I just didn’t have the time to work on it. Anyway I hope you will enjoy this little Christmas gift.

Making the game
I use an external font in the game therefore I was unable to use the vector drawing library as it cannot use registered fonts. So I use the DrawText() command. The text may not look as perfect as the text drawn with the vector drawing library but it is still good.
Also in this game I do not create the menu backgrounds on the fly, but I load some very big sprites. I draw the text onto these sprites and then resize them based on the current resolution of the game. I think this can be the reason why drawing the menu can actually be slow especially if you run the game in Fullscreen mode.

The game does have some problems. I will try to fix them, but I need more time so I would appreciate any feedback about how it runs or any problems you may encounter.

I still couldn’t find a perfect solution for the DPI settings problem.

How to install
The game is available as an install package or as a zip archive. You can find a DirectX 9 and a DirectX 11 version. If you choose to install the game using the installer, the icon/shortcut will start the DirectX 9 version. Of course this can easily be changed.

The Linux version is also available as a tar.gz package. I compiled it on Ubuntu 20.04.

I will try to compile the game on my Raspberry Pi 4 later.

Languages
The language files can be found in the Sweet Tiles.languages ZIP file.

Download
You can download it from my website (if you click on the image, it will take you to the game): http://www.nightloversgamestudio.net

Have fun with the game!

Merry Christmas!

Screenshot

Update 1.0.1.0 - 16.07.2022
  • It was not possible to complete level Insane in Quick Game because of a bug.
  • The drawing of the menu has been improved.
  • Loading of the assets is now more secure.
You can download the new version from my website.

neuronic
Last edited by neuronic on Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: [GAME] Sweet Tiles

Post by BarryG »

Okay, I wasn't going to try this (I don't game much) but I'm glad I did! This is a nice alternative to Tetris and the whole product, including the PDF manual, is extremely professional and polished! Well done! A perfect example of how good PureBasic is. It's saved in my portable games folder for when I need a quick casual game.
Otrebor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Otrebor »

Very well done!
STARGÅTE
Addict
Addict

Post by STARGÅTE »

Very nice game.
neuronic wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:22 pmSo I use the DrawText() command.
Why not using one of the sprite-based font includes, like this: Typeface - Sprite-based font include/module
PB 6.01 ― Win 10, 21H2 ― Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB ― NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ― Vivaldi 6.0 ― www.unionbytes.de
Lizard - Script language for symbolic calculations and moreTypeface - Sprite-based font include/module
neuronic
User
User

Post by neuronic »

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for checking out my game! I am glad you liked it!

@STARGATE
I have taken a quick look at your Typeface module and I like it! I coded and used a similar one back in 2006 with a little editor but I decided to stop using and further developing it because I wanted to have multi language support in my games and my version just made it more complicated. However, your Typeface module is way more advanced and more sophisticated than mine ever was! So I will definitely have a closer look, and I am sure I will find a way to use it. So thanks for it.
neuronic
User
User

Post by neuronic »

Hi everyone!

Some info about the Raspberry Pi version:
I have managed to run the game on my Raspberry Pi 4! I have had to make some changes to the original code but it runs.
I started experimenting with PB v6.00 Beta 1 right after Fred had released it. I tried to run some of my older games, but I got the “debugged executable quit unexpectedly” message. I started to investigate my code and I figured out that the game stops while it is trying to load the assets from the compressed data file. I rewrote the code and now the game loads all the assets from a data folder instead of using the data file and as a result it runs. It is far from perfect as the windowed and borderless modes do not work. Only the fullscreen mode works and actually that is a bit slow. I mean the game is just too easy, but at least it works!

neuronic
neuronic
User
User

Post by neuronic »

Hi Everyone!

I have updated the game to version 1.0.1.0. Check the first post for more details.

neuronic