[GAME] Monster Maze - Updated

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
neuronic
User
User

[GAME] Monster Maze - Updated

Post by neuronic »

Hi everyone,

I have just finished and uploaded my latest game, Monster Maze, to my website.

Making the game
I started working on the game back in November and I had a working version by mid December. I should have finished the game back in January, at least that was the plan, but it turned out that it would require more time. The main reason was the menu. It worked but it looked ugly. I tried many different versions and ideas, but I am sure I am not the only one here who cannot draw. So I came up with the idea of putting a new maze in the background and let the monsters roam around. Still not my favourite, but way better than the original.
The other problem I had was testing the levels. (There are 20 levels in the game.) Originally I wanted to have more levels and two difficulty levels as well. I wanted to have each level twice in the game but with more monsters for the second time. It turned out that the game is difficult enough as it was without the extra monsters. I needed to try some of the levels at least 30 times to be able to finish them.
I also had to do some extra work on the Game Complete text, which is similar to the Victory! and Game Over texts but it wasn’t part of the original game assets I purchased.
On more thing, the size of the game. It could easily be half the size, (about 10MB) but the Victory! the Game Over and other text effects are not real time effects, but pre-rendered animations. Each frame is saved as a separate png image, hence the bigger size.

How to install
The game is available as an install package or as a zip archive. You can find a DirectX 9 and a DirectX 11 version. If you choose to install the game using the installer, the icon/shortcut will start the DirectX 9 version. Off course this can easily be changed.

The Linux version is also available as a tar.gz package. I compiled it on Ubuntu 20.04. (I still get a warning from the debugger, but the game seems to run.)

Languages
The language files can be found in the Monster Maze.languages ZIP file.

Download
You can download it from my website (if you click on the image, it will take you to the game): http://www.nightloversgamestudio.net

Have fun with the game!

Screenshot

Update: 20.07.2021 – Monster Maze v1.0.0.3
  • Couldn’t handle the resolution properly when the DPI setting was not 100%.
  • Menu options can be selected using the RETURN / ENTER key of the numeric keyboard.
  • Updated manual.
Last edited by neuronic on Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dige
Addict
Addict

Re: [GAME] Monster Maze

Post by dige »

Well done! :D
"Daddy, I'll run faster, then it is not so far..."
KayBur
User
User

Re: [GAME] Monster Maze

Post by KayBur »

Thanks for trying this game. I used to play it, for a very long time, I even forgot what was there and how. I just remember the name. I'll try to install it on Windows 10 today.
neuronic
User
User

Re: [GAME] Monster Maze - Updated

Post by neuronic »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for checking out my game!
I have uploaded an updated version of the game as I found some problems. See the first post for details.
Unfortunately there are still some problems, and I might need your help to fix them.
  • The first problem is only visible if you have a screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3 or 5:4. Here there is a black area above and below the maze. (It is because the maze was designed for 16:9 aspect ratio.) The problem is that there is a flickering here: you can see the menu background being drawn on the screen. This is only visible if you set the screen mode to Fullscreen in the settings menu. When you press ESC, which opens the in-game menu, the flickering stops. Could you please confirm this If you have a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor?
  • The second problem is with the DPI settings. I tried to fix this with the new release, but I would appreciate if you could check the game on DPI settings other then 100%.
  • The third problem is with UHD screens / resolutions (maybe other resolutions have the same problem.) The Victory, Game Over, etc texts should appear in the middle of the screen, but when I tested it on an UHD screen, the text was not correctly displayed.
Because of the pandemic and the lockdown I didn’t have the possibility to test my game on many different machines, so I would appreciate any feedback you could give me regarding the problems I have listed above, especially confirmation that the problems really exist.

Thank you for your help in advance and have a nice summer!

Neuronic
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Koszonom szepen! (No diacritics on this keyboard). Grabbed a few of your games as I am fed up coding for now:):)
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
neuronic
User
User

Post by neuronic »

Hi Fangbeast,

Thanks for checking out my games! I hope you enjoyed playing them! More is on the way.

I think I need to recompile most of my older games because of the above mentioned DPI problem. But I have planned to do it anyway as soon as the new version of PB comes out.

Have fun!

neuronic
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

Great game... Well done!

Can't help with the problems though (16:9, DPI 100%, HD)
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Paul »

neuronic wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:17 pm I think I need to recompile most of my older games because of the above mentioned DPI problem.
Yes, you game runs fine full screen but in windowed mode there are DPI issues on 4K monitors ;(

Image Image
neuronic
User
User

Post by neuronic »

Hi!

Thanks for reporting back to me!
I will have access to UHD monitors, and more machines as we go back to work this week, so hopefully I will be able to locate the problem in the code.

Thank you again.

neuronic