SciTE editing color syntax

Linux specific forum
The_Pharao
User
User

Post by The_Pharao »

well, i just recognized i had an purebasic extension for KWrite installed. 8O syntax highlightning, folding/unfolding, all working fine. you can even have auto completion if you tweak the options of kwrite (though, only keywords that are already in the code, but better than nothing).

first i thought i got it from the file from this thread and forgot about it
viewtopic.php?t=8216&highlight=kwrite

BUT
it seems to be part of KWrite 4.3 (KDE 3.3.0) - i have this purebasix.xml file nowhere on my system (except pb install folder) . You can check your isntalled highlightnings with (i assume for the english version) "options" -> "highlightning" -> "download new" if necessary. (the option for the german version of kwrite is: "Einstellungen" -> "Editor einrichten..." -> "Hervorhebungen" -> "Download")

hope that helps
Beach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Beach »

Did you compile KDE 3.3 or are you using a distro? I downloaded Yoper which uses KDE 3.3 but it dies on the PC I use for Linux.
The_Pharao
User
User

Post by The_Pharao »

i compiled it myself (gentoo)
Inner
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Inner »

Lexer written see annoucements for picture of Cute ;), lexer currently being debugged and fine tuned, please insert (x) amount of time for me to finsh it properly.
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Post by dracflamloc »

What happened to the properties files?
BasicGuy
User
User

Post by BasicGuy »

Breezing through this thread, I just had to make this suggestion:

For fewer headaches and more productivity check out nEdit at:

http://www.nedit.org/

'Nuff said. 8)
Beach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Beach »

Nedit is good but Scite based editors do a better job (at least on Windows) with things like code folding, syntax highlighting, code completion, etc...

I have not played around with nedit in years though, I wonder how hard it would be to create a syntax highlighting setup for it?

It might be worth looking into since I have had no luck trying to make Scite functional for PB on Linux and the authors do not return emails. At the moment, I use the Windows based PB Scite Editor on Linux with Wine - which works but the fonts are funky.
-Beach
BasicGuy
User
User

Post by BasicGuy »

"I have not played around with nedit in years though, I wonder how hard it would be to create a syntax highlighting setup for it?"

Actually, it's a piece of cake. There are quite a few .pat (pattern) files available to modify or learn from. *MUCH* easier, IMO, than getting SciTe to do what you want. At one time I had made up a .pat for the POVray Scene Description Language, covering almost all of the syntax highlighting. It worked great, took little time to create and was easy to modify.

The newer versions of nEdit are available for both M$ and Linux. I use it on both without any problems and really enjoy not having to learn multiple editing techniques. The downside to the M$ version is that it needs a Cygwin installation http://www.cygwin.com but it's a snap to install over the Internet and gives you quite a few *NIX commands in M$ as well! 8)

Another very good, full featured editor, if you're into Java, is jEdit. http://www.jedit.org/ tho' I haven't looked at what it takes to create syntax highlighting files yet. :roll:
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

Post by GeoTrail »

Does anyone know if the Scite syntax file works for Scite 1.62 for Windows?
I Stepped On A Cornflake!!! Now I'm A Cereal Killer!