[Tutorial/HowTo] Install PureBasic 4.01 on Ubuntu Linux

Linux specific forum
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Re: [Tutorial/HowTo] Install PureBasic 4.01 on Ubuntu Linux

Post by DoubleDutch »

Thanks Thomas, I will take a look. :)

Was the original pdf in English or are these it?
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

Did a quick translation using Google. I know it's not supposed to be distributed unmodified but I hope you don't mind?

http://sinistersoft.com/downloads/PureB ... inners.pdf
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Have installed Ubuntu 13.10 x64 in a dual boot config and everything is sweet. Purebasic was a breeze to install and get running. (Am amazed that my latest project ran straight out of the box... file paths aside! :) )

One thing remains... file association; .pb, .pbi, .pbp. Have added the relevant mime types into 'purebasic.xml' etc. but at this point I am stuck. The Ubuntu-tweak utility installs, but will not run on this version of Ubuntu (or so it seems!) Nothing happens when I click it in the launcher.

Anyone know how to proceed manually? I've taken a look at the mimeapps.list file, but it is empty and I do not know how to construct a valid entry for this file!

Who would have guessed this simple operation would, in fact, not be so simple! :)

Thanks.
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
ts-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by ts-soft »

Open a terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit
or

gksudo gedit
i can't test on ubuntu.
copy in:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns='http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info'>
	<mime-type type="text/purebasic">
	<comment>PureBasic source code</comment>
	<glob pattern="*.pb"/>
	<glob pattern="*.pbi"/>
	</mime-type>
</mime-info>
and save the text in: /usr/share/mime/packages as purebasic.xml

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
should do the trick. If this not work have a look on the manpage:

man update-mime-database
PureBasic 5.73 | SpiderBasic 2.30 | Windows 10 Pro (x64) | Linux Mint 20.1 (x64)
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Sorted the file associations with Ubuntu 13.10 x64.

The following link showed the way : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De ... plications
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Thanks Thomas.

I had already done that, but for the life of me I am not sure if that was enough because I cannot remember testing once Ubuntu-Tweak failed to run! Doh!

Anyhow, I added a .desktop file as instructed in the link I posted above and it all works now. As I say though, not sure if what you had outlined did the trick or this .desktop file was the final piece in the puzzle? :)

It is all working now anyhow.

I can see why people are switching to Linux as this is much nicer than I remember from my last time out with Ubuntu. Heck, my PB code even works... which wasn't the case last time. :)
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

srod wrote:I can see why people are switching to Linux as this is much nicer than I remember from my last time out with Ubuntu. Heck, my PB code even works... which wasn't the case last time. :)
Indeed.

After using UBUNTU as my main OS for three seasons now, only just this week :oops:
have I discovered the power of rolling the mouse scroll wheel while pointing at the Unity launcher icons when using multiple windows.
Mega sweet. :D
Keep it BASIC.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

...It's not all sweetness and light. I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04LTS, sharing the PC with Windows XP. Install fails at around the 80% mark without warning. Also, be warned - Ubuntu un-install/re-install can wipe your whole drive, across partitions, without any warning, thus losing anything else you might have on the drive. It is apparently a known 'critical bug' but that does not say much for the testing carried out before release.........
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Frarth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Frarth »

IdeasVacuum wrote:...It's not all sweetness and light. I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04LTS, sharing the PC with Windows XP. Install fails at around the 80% mark without warning. Also, be warned - Ubuntu un-install/re-install can wipe your whole drive, across partitions, without any warning, thus losing anything else you might have on the drive. It is apparently a known 'critical bug' but that does not say much for the testing carried out before release.........
It sounds like you're doing something wrong. I use Ubuntu since 2005 (Breezy Badger) and never encountered any problems while creating / formatting partitions. If you install Linux (any distro) next to Windows, then what exactly do you do, dual boot or VM? If VM then it may be that Windows has a lock on whatever that prevents Linux from completing installation. Dual boot should not give any problem at all unless you're out of disk space. But even then you should see a warning.

In general I advice against multiple OSs on a single computer. Sooner or later you will find trouble, no matter how sophisticated boot loaders and VMs are. Install Linux on three partitions, one for root (8+GB), one for swap (4-8GB) and one for home, using the proper mounting points.

Since Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 both have support until 2019, my choice would be Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
PureBasic 5.41 LTS | Xubuntu 16.04 (x32) | Windows 7 (x64)