3.50 Log / Another user reports

Linux specific forum
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Max..

Like dmoc, I'd like to give you an excerptional overview of my first experiences with PB/Linux.

After receiving the download link from Fred last weekend, I finally found time to test it. Instead of installing on an existing instal- lation, I decided to go for a fresh Debian installation in a virtual machine, using VMWare.

Beside being careful about messing with production systems (even the test environments end up productive too soon, lol - lazy me) I also wanted to get a bit more experience in the Debian distribution.

So as first step I downloaded a minimal boot image from http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/,
using Eduard Bloch's netinst image, burnt it on a CDR and booted.

The Debian setup is very logical and usually I chose the setup defaults. I only had to pick the NIC kernel module by hand, but then, using DHCP, I already was connected to the internet, being able to continue the setup (IMO better than downloading the full set of 7 ISO images) and to install just what I needed.

Debian also allows the usage of predefined packages, containing apps according to categories. I didn't choose too much, as I wanted the system to stay as clean as possible, but the "C/C++ programmers" and "Linux servers" packages seemed to be a good choice.

The stuff was downloaded automatically and very quickly I had Debian finally (but not bloated) installed.

Now for the interesting part: installing PureBasic

Untaring it created a new directory, with sub-directories and the most important files: INSTALL & README.

The steps provided by Fred in the INSTALL were easy to follow (was just copying a few files into some directories) and running pbcompiler showed the same result as mentioned in the INSTALL. Promising.

...looking at the README:
Ok, I need GCC. No problem, as it was installed with the C/C++ package.
Next was SDL. I had SDL download as rpm and tried to install it. But that was a stupid idea. Debian prefers another pack manager and getting alone RPM to work is much more work than simply using Debian's favored apt-get.

apt-get is really great. It connects to a Debian distribution server, retrieves the packages available, checks for dependencies, downloads required packages, installs and as final step - if necessary - allows to configure the apps easily.

So a simple

Code: Select all

apt-get install SDL1.2-dev
and after a minute, it was fine.

Now I changed to the PB examples directory, trying pbcompiler menu.pb

Well, I admit, I forgot GTK1.2. But the tons of GTK related error messages were as hint obvious enough, hehe.

So another

apt-get GTK1.2-dev
and soon after the next try.

Looked better now. It compiled without error but at the end it complained about not being able to connect to the XServer.

No wonder, not installed yet.

apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xserver-common xfonts-base gnome-core gnome-panel gnome-control-center sawfish-gnome gnome-session gnome-terminal
and

apt-get install kde
which took together 15 minutes downloading and installing, and I was able to run KDE.

Now I was really curious, opened a console, typed pbcompiler menu.pb AND THERE IT WAS...

The first PB program I have seen running on a Linux box!

Like dmoc, I tested all examples. Results were good and I just mention where something looks "strange"...

CDAudio.pb ... GtK Warnings in the console after closing it. It ran fine though.
Image.pb ... GdK-Error "BadValue", but you shortly saw the window flashing. BTW, I did not misspell GtK... that's what it was on the screen.
Linux_API.pb ... gcc error: Purebasic.o missing.
Module.pb ... Line 11: InitModule() is not a function. Ok, Midas, I assume.
Requester.pb ... works, except the PathRequester (is in the TODO as I saw)
Sound.pb ... "DirectX7 missing or no Soundcard available" - is the soundcard in this case, but, hey, who on a Linux box wants to see a MS related error??

So, as you see, it looks promising. The whole procedure of completely installing a distribution not too familiar to me and then applying PureBasic and what it needs took less than 2 hours.

The examples except the mentioned Image.pb and Linux_API.pb ran smoothly, just a few warning here and there, but nothing that countered the functionality.

As soon as I got time, I want to take some snippets from the forums and try them out. Then I'll provide you with another report unless you slay me for it. :wink:

Max.
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Franco.
Originally posted by Max.

After receiving the download link from Fred last weekend, I finally found time to test it.
Lucky you, I'm still waiting... :cry:
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by fred.

Damn, I tough I'd replied everyone !

Fred - AlphaSND
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by fred.

Thanks Max for this extensive report and I'm glad to see than all seems to run as expected on Linux. The errors you mentionned are 'normal' as it does the same on my linux :). I will correct them for the next release. Feel free to dig further in this way and to report all bugs/missing fetuares which aren't in the TODO file.

Fred - AlphaSND