Just an appeal for help

Linux specific forum
collectordave
Addict
Addict

Just an appeal for help

Post by collectordave »

Hi

I am newish to PureBasic (August 2015) and even newer to the MAC (Last week).

I am programming some little procedures and applications in PB and would like them to be open source and cross platform.

As an example I am now programming a data report creator and data report printer which is now working on windows and MAC. I have found some cross platform problems, and some solutions, now incorporated into the programme. I do not own a Linux machine and have no knowledge of Linux. So if anyone would like to help in producing these applications etc on Linux even if just to test then please drop me a PM.

Regards

CD
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Re: Just an appeal for help

Post by Keya »

collectordave wrote:I do not own a Linux machine and have no knowledge of Linux.
hello collectordave, your PC is a Linux machine :D i would recommend download VirtualBox (free) and installing Linux Mint (an Ubuntu/Debian-based distribution) in it as a VM in your Windows.

I find Purebasic installs and runs happily with Mint, and Mint is really user friendly which is good if youre a linux newbie like me (if i can run PB on Linux anyone can) :) and then, just as you empowered yourself with OSX last week, you'll be up and running on all 3 of the worlds primary desktop OS, and with a single development solution for them all :) :) Then the world's our oyster (and i don't even know what that means lol). Dont be intimidated by Linux, take the plunge like you did with OSX! you'll be thanking yourself in a matter of no time but wishing you'd done it sooner :)
I dont know much about the different versions but the Cinnamon one is probably the one us PB'ers want - i dont know if the KDE version is suitable for PB use, but Cinnamon which uses GNOME interface certainly is, as all PB Linux GUI is GTK (i figured out how to make a Hello World using raw GTK API - but we dont need to do this because PB does it all for us!)

Alternatively if you want to run a VM on your new Mac i think you can use Parallels instead of Virtualbox/VMWare on your Windows machine, but i have no experience with Parallels, and Virtualbox also supports OSX anyway, and my reading suggests VMs get better performance out of Windows hosts, especially in the case of VMWare with all its patents but that isnt free

Also you can simply download VM images with Linux Mint pre-installed:
http://virtualboximages.com/VirtualBox.Linux.Mint.vids
http://www.osboxes.org/linux-mint/
its really easy to install though so i prefer to do it myself

btw I cant really give you any tips about Linux because like i said im a newb myself, but one important one that sticks to mind is sometimes you need to install something with Admin privileges ... to do that you simply type "sudo " before the rest of the commandline, and itll prompt you for superuser password and then proceed as normal. Required when doing some things like installing certain packages with apt-get. Hopefully ive just saved you at least 5 mins!
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

Recently the Linux Mint servers have been hacked and the ISOs had been compromised.
So if you download Linux Mint make sure the ISO you downloaded is the official one.
Don't know if they provide MD5 or SHA checksums...

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
collectordave
Addict
Addict

Post by collectordave »

Thanks for the detailed reply Keya and the warning fsw. 8)

Retirement is certainly not what I expected. Having moved to Portugal and finding I have German neighbours I am learning Portuguese and a smattering of German also started programming again so learning PureBasic with my Windows machine and now on the MAC. So I may have to give Linux a miss for a short while, may be a good thing, could buy a new machine and install Linux as main operating system after getting the report creator up and running on Windows and MAC. :)

Regards

CD
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.