Linux Systems Management Interface - Contributions?

Linux specific forum
naw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux Systems Management Interface - Contributions?

Post by naw »

Hi,

I've worked in Unix Sys Admin & Services for about 12 years - mostly AIX, but also Sun, HP & SCO. Just started playing with Linux and am astonished that there is (apparently) no good *all-encompassing* Sys Mgt tools.
There's lots of things that do a small subset of tasks with very attractive GUIs, but there's no general-purpose workhorse tool.

So, I've started work on an AIX style 'smit' like tool, basically it consists of:

* a menuing system - with fastpaths navigation & history

* a *dialog* system - that asks for input and offers option ranges taken, takes input from external commands etc.

* there is also context sensitive help, a *show-command* facility,

* there will be session command logging/history for script generation &
auditing and a simple allow/deny scheme to hide options from the menus

- the menus and *dialogs* are driven from external config files, so the whole thing is very extendible.

So once the basic tool (the interface) is completed, I'm wondering if anyone would like to contribute towards the building of the Menus, the Dialogs and the many and various scripts that will be required to provide input and perform the actual Admin actions?

Thanks - NAW
Ta - N
pbdep
User
User

Re: Linux Systems Management Interface - Contributions?

Post by pbdep »

Hello Naw,

good idea, indeed linux is not so fancy, but there are a lot of tools for
maintenace around...from webbased upto gtk and tk based...
try http://www.freshmeat.net to start with...

anyway..For myself im more a shelll based administrator even on the
tru64, hp and sun machines ;-)

i hope you get some backup ;-)..

If you want a gui under PB then a link towards the gtk 2.0 libs is
a nice start...with ncurses it also possible... but i think that lib programming from within PB is like riding a car with square wheels, better
is to devolop a new lib under PB and compile it for PB to use it...

regards,
Norman.

naw wrote:Hi,

I've worked in Unix Sys Admin & Services for about 12 years - mostly AIX, but also Sun, HP & SCO. Just started playing with Linux and am astonished that there is (apparently) no good *all-encompassing* Sys Mgt tools.
There's lots of things that do a small subset of tasks with very attractive GUIs, but there's no general-purpose workhorse tool.

Thanks - NAW
naw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by naw »

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the reply - I took a (quick) look a FreshMeat, all the tools there look to be for specific functions, I don't know about the WWW tools, though.

My problem with Web based tools are that they are so slow and require a lot of unnecessary code to be installed ie: a WWW Server & a Browser....

Anyway, work is progressing well - have completed a Proof Of Concept (under Windows) just waiting for Fred to send me the *Ancient* PB for Linux - just hope it compiles without too many mods...

Ta - Nigel
Ta - N