Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Linux specific forum
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Re: Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Post by NicTheQuick »

There is a How To about creating your own deb packages: https://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian
But I do not know how the licencing procedure of Purebasic works exactly or if every user retrieves exactly the same zip file in his/her user account. Also you may do not want to install purebasic over an existing installation and also not as root. In this case a deb package is not practicable. Many users prefer installing multiple versions of Purebasic at the same time, so one can switch between different compiler versions easily.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

With a bit effort Fred could set up an apt repo with authentification:

https://manpages.debian.org/testing/apt ... .5.en.html
bye,
Daniel
Shardik
Addict
Addict

Post by Shardik »

Fred wrote:Thank you all for your feedback. I think we will procede as following:

- Build PB Linux x64 on 2 lastest Ubuntu LTS release. This will become the official supported OS for x64 PB.
- Build PB Linux x86 on lastest debian 32-bit (if it works).
That's a very good idea. Two LTS releases of one of the most popular and easy to install 64-bit distributions with good community support forums for the standard user and a current 32-bit Debian distribution which doesn't require much knowledge to install instead of the much more knowledge requiring Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 32-bit using NetBoot.

A further alternative for a fully supported 32-bit distribution would be Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia (Download) which is a LTS version (Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce) with 32-bit and 64-bit supported until April 2023. And it would be ideal also for beginners (like Ubuntu). To support only a single distribution, Linux Mint would be ideal because it offers the 32-bit LTS version 19 and 64-bit LTS versions 19 and 20. You only would have to decide on a desktop environment (Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce). Or you could go for the Debian version of Linux Mint...
Fred wrote:I'm sensible to the fact than old computers could get a new life using a modern linux system like debian and if PB could run on it it would be cool.
Just my thoughts!
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

With me, Mate was always more flawless than Cinnamon.
Maybe that has changed in the meantime.
That is why I have long since decided to go with Mint.
地球上の平和
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Joubarbe wrote:x64 for latest Ubuntu.
x64 for latest Debian.
Period. This is 2020. If you need an old version of PB, then use an old version of PB. Or refactor.

What’s the point of having LTS versions if the latest version are not even up to latest standards? If you want support for older technologies, stay with the versions that were made in the time when support of these technologies were provided.
Using old versions is great. As long as you don't run into a bug. And there is no way out of this situation. There is no return mechanism to fix the bug.
So this topic is not about old and new versions, but about compromise. It is about the fact that there will be officially marked those versions of distributions for which there is hope to fix the bug.
Dawn will come inevitably.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Fred wrote:...
Future plan (suggestion):

-Use only LTS version of Ubuntu, and build PureBasic on the 2 last LTS. It would be 18.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS. As there is no 32-bit version, we will drop it (seems lilke a global move in linux distro). If we want to have a 32-bit version, we will need to choose another distribution (debian ?). I would avoid to build for 16.04 LTS as it's too old, and doesn't have required package for QT 5.
Please specify what the future is about.
5.73 is this the future?
Or is it about 6.0?

Edit: 2020.11.24
And so, version 5.73 is released as well as the previous ones without mentioning in readme, install, checkinstall subsystems qt and updates to the latest Linux distributions.
Hence the question, the future mentioned in this forum branch, when can it come?
Last edited by useful on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
hadisch
New User
New User

Post by hadisch »

With a focus on Ubuntu you certainly wouldn't go wrong. Ubuntu and its derivatives should cover the largest area of Linux users. The ultimate solution, however, would be to distribute Purebasic as an AppImage, which would eliminate the problems on almost all distributions.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

Denis wrote:C'est beaucoup de travail pour des machines obsolètes.
I agree. Better wasting your time on a quality 64
juror
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by juror »

Somewhat off-topic. Has anyone installed PB on the Linux distribution running under Windows 10?
(Tried a search but couldn't find a discussion).

cheers
greyhoundcode
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by greyhoundcode »

Use only LTS version of Ubuntu, and build PureBasic on the 2 last LTS. It would be 18.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS.
Sounds good to me.

Note: I tend to use Ubuntu derivatives and, for my own purposes, I have no problem with 32bit being dropped.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

https://twisteros.com/ Based on Box86
Our ability to break into the world of ARM and because of wine there is a 32-bit base. Do not take away purebasic x86.
Last edited by useful on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

What distribution is used to debug the linux version of the new backend?
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It's only developped on Windows for now. The Alpha version will be Windows only.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Fred wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 am It's only developped on Windows for now. The Alpha version will be Windows only.
:cry:
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Fred wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 am It's only developped on Windows for now. The Alpha version will be Windows only.
Where/how can we apply to become alpha testers? I would like to start with the QT3 port interface asap and i already have experience with the gcc/gpp toolchain and other compilers.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All