Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Linux specific forum
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Post by Fred »

Everyone will have access to it, don't worry.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Fred wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 amFuture plan (suggestion):

-Use only LTS version of Ubuntu, and build PureBasic on the 2 last LTS. It would be 18.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS. As there is no 32-bit version, we will drop it (seems lilke a global move in linux distro). If we want to have a 32-bit version, we will need to choose another distribution (debian ?). I would avoid to build for 16.04 LTS as it's too old, and doesn't have required package for QT 5.
I tried to build on a Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in vmware and could not get it to work. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS seems to work (checkinstall, compiling a simple GTK based tool), but on Ubuntu 20 checkinstall did not work.

These are the error messages i got while trying to use Ubuntu 20 LTS:
Package libgnome-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnome-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libgnome-2.0' found
libgnome devel package need to be installed to use PureBasic
root@jc-VirtualBox:/home/jc/purebasic# apt search libgnome-2.0
Sortierung... Fertig
Volltextsuche... Fertig
root@jc-VirtualBox:/home/jc/purebasic# sudo apt-get install gcc g++ libc6-dev libsdl1.2-dev libgtk-3-dev unixodbc-dev libgnome2-dev libxine2-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev libxxf86vm-dev libwebkitgtk-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
E: Paket libgnome2-dev kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Paket libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Mittels des Musters »libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev« konnte kein Paket gefunden werden.
E: Mittels regulärem Ausdruck »libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev« konnte kein Paket gefunden werden.
E: Paket libwebkitgtk-dev kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Paket libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Mittels des Musters »libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev« konnte kein Paket gefunden werden.
E: Mittels regulärem Ausdruck »libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev« konnte kein Paket gefunden werden.
Is Ubuntu linux 20 LTS officially supported? If yes - how would a working apt-get command look?

Can this be fixed by manually adding a specific old repo? I think i remember some 'fix' like that was required for Ubuntu 20 LTS?
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

The libgnome2-dev package is obsolete.

The WebGadget has not yet been converted to the new WebKit. Still waiting for update from Fred.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Fred wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 am It's only developped on Windows for now. The Alpha version will be Windows only.
It's understandable.
But I would like to have an idea of the roadmap for the development of the linux version and start preparing for the big journey now.
Including to understand what to buy from ARM single-boarders.

p.s. Let me remind you of my goal. I think it is very important to do the initial thorough testing within an ecosystem equivalent to the one you are (will be) using in development.
Dawn will come inevitably.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Once the Windows version will be stable, I expect the ARM linux version to be ready rather quickly. That said there is no ETA for now.
ogheri
New User
New User

Post by ogheri »

Hi dear all,

I ve recently bought purebasic too.

My version is therefore 5.73 LTS (I have the x86_64 version, which I use more often, but I tried also the x86 32bits version by the way)

Under Windows all is perfect.

Under Linux, I ve tried fedora 32 33 34, Cent Os 7 Ubuntu 20 but in all of them basically even after (of course!) having installed libgtk libwebgtk , lsb compatibility libraries when trying the 32bits version ....all possible things...

it doesnt really work.

In most cases, simply I get something that either doesnt show the gui of the compiler at all (in the worst case) or

it starts the gui but then refuses to create a 32bits executable when I tried the 32bits version , due to incompatible linker libraries (even if I used, in this case, the 32bits version of the compiler and installed the lsb compatibility libraries and glibc.i686 under fedora 34...) (nothing helped) or

in the best case (my purebasic 64bits version installed in 64bits mode under 64bits fedora 34) I have gui, it compiles, it creates an executable where I ve tried a simple form with a button and a File menu with a menu item but then the executable created when invoked on the command line simply returns immediately (it doesnt complain about anything but it doesnt pops up the form at all!)

(same is if i try to run it in the IDE: it compiles fine but then when trying to run it nothing shows up..)

It is not thaaat big problem for me: I am mostly playing with purebasic and anyway most of my stuff is in window, and there all is perfectly fine so ...no big issue, as said...

surely,though, would be good to have it somehow really running and tested on some "official and blessed" distros...
ogheri
New User
New User

Post by ogheri »

Hi dear all,
I have to inform you, for correctness and completeness, that finally I got it

what I did (so that is hopefully helpful for some others too)! :

I installed ubuntu 18.04...

I did the following sudo... commands.. basically:

ogheri@ogheri-VirtualBox:~$ history|grep sudo
3 sudo passwd root
4 sudo apt-get install gcc g++ libc6-dev libsdl1.2-dev libgtk-3-dev unixodbc-dev libgnome2-dev libxine2-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev libxxf86vm-dev libwebkitgtk-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev
25 sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module
29 sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0
30 sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-3.0
48 history|grep sudo
ogheri@ogheri-VirtualBox:~$

where you see the relevant libraries to add

and for the gui not showing up anything...
ok my mistake

stupid me I did not coded also a main.pb such as for example (in my case!) :

ogheri@ogheri-VirtualBox:~$ cat MainProj.pb
XIncludeFile "MainForm.pbf"
Procedure OnFileQuit(Event)
PostEvent(#PB_Event_CloseWindow)
EndProcedure

Procedure OnButtonQuit(EventType)
PostEvent(#PB_Event_CloseWindow)
EndProcedure

OpenWindow_0()

Repeat
Event = WaitWindowEvent()

Select EventWindow()
Case Window_0
Window_0_Events(Event) ; This procedure name is always window name followed by '_Events'

EndSelect

Until Event = #PB_Event_CloseWindow ; Quit on any window close
; IDE Options = PureBasic 5.73 LTS (Linux - x64)
; CursorPosition = 16
; Folding = -
; EnableXPogheri@ogheri-VirtualBox:~$

now that there is a main !!! it also really pops up a form with a button and a menu and I can continue from there...
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

You might want to install QT compatibility additionally.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Link: Simple install of Purebasic (Ubuntu/Mint)

Use only Purebasic X64 on Linux X64 and Purebasic X86 on Linux X86
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

I would like to be more specific about the choice of distribution. Need to prepare for PB 6.0 Linux testing.
To the variety of distributions is added the variety of implementations of ARM - motherboards. If the first stage is not focused on something specific, the situation, in my opinion, is hopeless.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

"– PureBasic for Linux x64 will be available on the 2 last Ubuntu LTS versions (at the time of writing, it means Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)
– PureBasic for Linux x86 will be available on the latest Debian (at the time of writing, Debian 10). As it is a lot of work, we only support one Debian at once because x86 is loosing traction on Linux distro side (for example, Ubuntu x86 is no more)." (с)

I've been waiting for this for so long!!!

And for publishing to other distributions, you need to look in the direction of https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

useful wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:04 pm And for publishing to other distributions, you need to look in the direction of https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak
I prefer AppImage, because unlike Flatpak and Snap, they are immediately runnable on current Linux distributions without having to install anything first.

But in the case of PureBasic Flatpak, Snap and AppImage is not a solution, I think, because then also the programs programmed with PureBasic are linked with outdated libraries by the PB compiler, which leads to the fact that also the programs depend on the old libraries and would have to be shipped in Flatpak, Snap and AppImage packages as well. When it comes to security, it would be very bad considering how rarely the libraries in PureBasic have been updated in the past.

It would be good if the Linux version of PureBasic would be updated more often to adapt PureBasic faster when libraries become obsolete.
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

Wishing for an appimage version of PB if possible.
My current problem is considering updating to Linux Mint 21 which has Ubuntu 22.04 package base. While it has been stated that the last two LTS versions of Ubuntu will be supported by PB, it is currently not.
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

That is not right,

For me, PB v6.00 also runs under Ubuntu 22.04 and should therefore also run Mint 21.

Required developer libraries see 'Install' or Simple Install Of Purebasic
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

mk-soft wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:45 pm That is not right,

For me, PB v6.00 also runs under Ubuntu 22.04 and should therefore also run Mint 21.

Required developer libraries see 'Install' or Simple Install Of Purebasic
The download links of PB only show Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04, but it's comforting to hear that it will also work in 22.04. Then I can safely upgrade.
Thank you :)
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super