=QONK= 20080229

Advanced game related topics
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Re: =QONK= 20080229

Post by IceSoft »

#NULL wrote:i loved that game. is there any chance to download it again?
Please look on first entry. I refreshed the download link.
Have fun!
Maybe I will add some new features after the next PB release.
Or I rewrite it for smartphones (Cocos2D-X looks great for this).
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

Great, Thank You!
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

@NULL
Why you like this (unfinished) game?
What are you missing?
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

i remembered the game to be more challenging, but i'm still addicted. back then i probably played just more like the AI, but its much easier and you basically never loose doing the following:
- wait until player red starts conquering (and burning a lot of ships in the sun)
- conquer all red planets as soon as they are red (gray and red ships have neutralized each other at that time)
- conquer remaining gray planets, then all moons
- conquer only what you can defend, avoid recapture.
thats basically the quickest way to win, but in the very early levels you might want to conquer gray planets immediately because ships are very slow so you can use time better for ship production with more planets.

i don't know exacly what i like about it, probably the simple formula, simplicity, combination with space theme, basic production and conquer. and things can change very quickly and unexpectedly if you don't play it the safe way.

here is just a dump of other things that came to mind in case you consider working on it again (i may add that i'm using wine/linux):

- planets/moons go offscreen sometimes if they have a larger orbit
- a pause key would be nice
- the bars below the plantes are only flickering here. is this supposed to be a ship production indicator?
- AI should avoid burning ships in the sun and should favour empty planets, and favour planets over moons (maybe difficulty levels)
- scanner is always turned back on again in the next level
- ships don't move to center of planet/moon but to upper left corner of the image
- level does not reset if you have lost or canceled and start a new game
- sometimes event processing seems to be laggy. is only one event processed per frame instead of all events?
- if i alt-tab out and back in during the game then the 'win' screen will always be skipped from then on, automatically starting each next level after you win.