ReactOS

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Nik
Addict
Addict

Post by Nik »

Linux is absolutely usabe by anyone however computer illeterate he is, maybe he needs help to setup some things but that's a one time thing and thanks to the open construction of Ubuntu it wouldn't be a problam for a company to set up one mashine so that everything needed works and than "copy" the setup to the other mashines especially since most companys use 1 and the same computer model in large numbers. Another thing helping here is that Linux brings remote oprability built into the system in a much nicer way than Windows does.
See also
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156175

for some reports
Polo
Addict
Addict

Post by Polo »

Polo wrote:
Shannara wrote:.. Also, Polo, i didnt know you are one of the developers for ReactOS ( http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/index.html ).
Well, I am not :shock:
Where did you see I was :shock:
But I'm following that project very much :)
Oops, I realize it's maybe cause i said "we", I meant we as the users ;)
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

DarkDragon wrote:Zeta? No real MS rival. MacOS maybe.
Why not?
Shannara
Addict
Addict

Post by Shannara »

Oh! My apologies. But still ... ;) I've been following it for awhile, even after the tainted code fiasco :) Still, it looks hopeful.
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

Nik wrote:Linux is absolutely usabe by anyone however computer illeterate he is, maybe he needs help to setup some things but that's a one time thing and thanks to the open construction of Ubuntu it wouldn't be a problam for a company to set up one mashine so that everything needed works and than "copy" the setup to the other mashines especially since most companys use 1 and the same computer model in large numbers. Another thing helping here is that Linux brings remote oprability built into the system in a much nicer way than Windows does.
See also
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156175

for some reports
For another report look read further.

Screenshot from Ubuntu Dapper Drake's "Start and install" option:

And in "safe graphics mode":

Please don't tell me the cd is not burned correctly. The cd checked itself and no checksums failed. Also it works on another computer. (Did I say "works"? It uses literally most of the time for making funny noises with the empty floppy drive.)

What's even "worse" is that Ubuntu Breezy Badger installed and booted on the same computer.
Shannara wrote:Oh! My apologies. But still ... ;) I've been following it for awhile, even after the tainted code fiasco :) Still, it looks hopeful.
Fiasco? What is that, I haven't heard anything about it.
Shannara
Addict
Addict

Post by Shannara »

Ref: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13467 All over OSNews :) do a search there under ReactOS, and you can find lots of goodies and tidbits concerning it :)

Nice screenies :)

I installed RedHat back in 1999 or tried to. It wouldnt even install, just kept getting some weird error. That turned me off of linux until Beach released his distro (which is nice btw).

But if Linux isnt a simple install for a simple joe blow user, then why would anybody develop games for it? :)
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Trond wrote:
DarkDragon wrote:Zeta? No real MS rival. MacOS maybe.
Why not?
Zeta once was in RTL Shop, none here in Germany thinks those TV shops are good. And none watches them at 6:00 am. And it allows you less than Microsoft's Windows atm.
bye,
Daniel
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

Shannara wrote:Ref: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13467 All over OSNews :) do a search there under ReactOS, and you can find lots of goodies and tidbits concerning it :)
Oh, I thought you were talking about Zeta.
Jan Vooijs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Jan Vooijs »

New version of Reactos 0.30 rc1 is out so anybody intrested goto: www.reactos.com

Have fun

Jan V.
Life goes to Fast, Enjoy!!

PB 4 is to good to be true, wake up man it is NOT a dream THIS is a reality!!!

AMD Athlon on 1.75G, 1Gb ram, 160Gb HD, NVidia FX5200, NEC ND-3500AG DVD+RW and CD+RW, in a Qbic EO3702A and Win XP Pro SP2 (registered)
thefool
Always Here
Always Here

Post by thefool »

Jan Vooijs wrote:New version of Reactos 0.30 rc1 is out so anybody intrested goto: www.reactos.com

Have fun

Jan V.
Thanks for telling! Just downloaded the one preloaded with q-emu and it boots up perfectly :)
bembulak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bembulak »

Hello,

anyone heard about that:
http://www.syllable.org/

Seems like its for BeOS/Zeta/Amiga, what ReactOS is for Windows.
A stable running version would be cool....
cheers,

bembulak
Jan Vooijs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Jan Vooijs »

The goal of Reactos is to be the Linux variant of Unix in the Windows world.

So Reactos can run windows application like windows can but totally free of legacy code and free of charge.

Reactos has had a code hickup but that is almost corrected, the code is almost clean now (some 10 or 12% to check .

Soon (within a month of 2 maybe 3) version 0.3 (stable) comes out. Now we have the RC1 which has a few quirks at the moment but hey this one is better than 0.29 (it least it boots on my hardware [an EPIA board]).

And do not compare Reactos to Linux although Wine is ported to Reactos. Linux is 15 years old, look at very 'old' versions of Linux it could do MUCH less than Reactos in its current 0.3 phase (at least WE have a GUI) Linux before i think 0.4 only had the 'dos box' style inteface.

= Beos who is using that? Zeta nobody uses it (to expensive to be a vialble option).
=SkyOs is it a windows clone (NO) something 'in between' according to Roger (the developer of SkyOs)
=Syllable again NO windows, so what is the use of it?

=Reactos this is a real Windows "clone". So al my (current) investments in software will be still valid in a few years (PureBasic any one?).

Besides Windows has dug its own grave in MY opinion. Now with the WGA debacle! (WGA crashes my computers and YES it is legit all 5 licencies on 5 computers). And in my opinion WGA is spyware! It calls home every day (twice in fact). Microsoft does NOT trust its LEGAL customers!! No more win xp for me hello Reactos (in a few years)...

Jan V.

AMD Athlon on 1.75G, 1Gb ram, 160Gb HD, NVidia FX5200, NEC ND-3500AG DVD+RW and CD+RW, in a Qbic EO3702A and Win XP Pro SP2 (registered)
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

= Beos who is using that? Zeta nobody uses it (to expensive to be a vialble option).
That's funny when it's cheaper than Windows.
=SkyOs is it a windows clone (NO) something 'in between' according to Roger (the developer of SkyOs)
In between a windows clone and what? (And his name is Robert.)
=Syllable again NO windows, so what is the use of it?
What do you mean by no windows? If you mean no windows on the screen, then you're wrong. In fact, you can't use it without the GUI.
Jan Vooijs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Jan Vooijs »

Trond,

What I all meant is that Linux is Linux (being very good at it). All other options are fine in there perspective (Zeta or Beos, SkyOs, Vysopsys or any other one).

But we do NOT have a windows clone (yes I know Linux and Wine or Cedega, but it is NOT windows!). Now with Reactos we will have a (free) Windows. Yes it is in its infant stages but going faster (in time than Linux did).

Jan V.

langinagel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: ReactOS

Post by langinagel »

Hi,

I came across ReactOS at the same time with the same opinion.

Now many years later I could install ReactOS on a very old PC. It runs, I could install Purebasic 5.71...but compilation freezes the OS.
I am also looking for drivers for Ethernet and other hardware. A pity I don't have a clou anymore what old hardware is inside (Linux never asks for drivers, it has usually most inside).

Still anyone else outside running ReactOS? Also successfull?

Greetings
LN
https://www.doerpsoft.org

Boost. Work. Efficiency.