Language on the forums

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Tipperton
Addict
Addict

Language on the forums

Post by Tipperton »

I'm continuing this here to keep the PureBasic 4.10 beta 1 (Windows) released! thread from going off topic.
Brice Manuel wrote:
On my forum I have a bad word filter to prevent such language which keeps a log of hits by users. Users that constantly hit it eventually get banned.
You are nice, on my forums its always an immediate and permanent ban.
I use Invision Power Board which has member warning system. Each hit on the bad word list automatically bumps their warning level up a notch which sends them a message via a private message. When their warning count gets to five, they are automatically banned.

I believe everyone should be given a chance to "straighten up" and if they don't, it's their problem.
Brice Manuel wrote:
Nope. It's their parents problem for raising them with some sense of decency
Its a shame raising your kids with decency doesn't seem to happen in some countries. Also sad that the PB community allows this vulgar and obscene behavior.
Yeah... :(

When I was growing up, parents didn't think twice about spanking you if you needed it. Now-a-days, they worry that they'll get accused of child abuse so they don't discipline their kids when needed so today's kids are pretty much "out of control and running wild".
Barney
User
User

Re: Language on the forums

Post by Barney »

Tipperton wrote:As I said it doesn't bother me personally, I just don't see any reason to use words that might offend others when there are plenty of alternatives you can use to get your meaning across that won't offend anybody.
(The quote is from another thread but pertinent here)

If you are not bothered why are you continuing a basically useless discussion here? Just curious...

Barney
maw

Re: Language on the forums

Post by maw »

Tipperton wrote:When I was growing up, parents didn't think twice about spanking you if you needed it. Now-a-days, they worry that they'll get accused of child abuse so they don't discipline their kids when needed so today's kids are pretty much "out of control and running wild".
Yeah, physical violence sure is the right answer :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well, then tell me this: You hit someone in the street for not behaving like you want. You get arrested and for sure get a fine and perhaps even jail. This isn't ok with you then I assume? If it is, then how come hitting a little defenceless child is ok in your book?

Some people really makes me lose faith in the entire human race...
Tranquil
Addict
Addict

Post by Tranquil »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rXEQ4twCo

also found here at the forums. :)

Not realy a serious discussion I think. I'm an ex-scener, maybe thats the reason. :-/ It seems that the scene totaly *MEEPP* me in something like *MEEP* *MEEP* *MEEP* maybe more then *MEEEP*.

Just my two cents from an nearby 30 Years old man and still at work in saturday night. :-(

EDIT: Uhhh also sorry for my ordinary signature. :D
Tranquil
michaeled314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by michaeled314 »

When do you get fucked by your OS?
Could you please remove that annoying signature from your posts?
Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel »

I use Invision Power Board which has member warning system. Each hit on the bad word list automatically bumps their warning level up a notch which sends them a message via a private message. When their warning count gets to five, they are automatically banned.

I believe everyone should be given a chance to "straighten up" and if they don't, it's their problem.
I don't have that option with the freebie forum service I use. But I do post all the rules which are available for "guests" to read. Since it is a family-friendly forum there are certain rules that specify if violated are an immediate ban. Otherwise, I do a "three strikes".
When I was growing up, parents didn't think twice about spanking you if you needed it.
My Great-Grandmother would use an old hairbrush to swat me, my Grandfather would use an old wooden paddle or a belt with big rhinestones on it. Throw in being puncked or kicked or even having hammers or other tools thrown at me.

Used to get spanked in school, some teachers or principals used a wooden paddle, one principal used a yard-stick which he kept breaking on me.

I have never spanked any of my kids and never would.
Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel »

michaeled314 wrote:
I agree with my fellow Marylander.
michaeled314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by michaeled314 »

I totally agree w/language on the forums. Pretty much every conversation has cursing and swear language in it.
maw

Post by maw »

Hahaha, that's exactly how I feel sometimes :lol:
Tranquil wrote:Not realy a serious discussion I think. I'm an ex-scener, maybe thats the reason. :-/ It seems that the scene totaly *MEEPP* me in something like *MEEP* *MEEP* *MEEP* maybe more then *MEEEP*.
The Amiga scene? Perhaps not, not really old enough for that, right?
Tranquil wrote:Just my two cents from an nearby 30 Years old man and still at work in saturday night. :-(
Ohh, poor devil.. I had a job like that before, really didn't like it.. You have my sympaties, and I sure hope you earn enough to compensate for the hours!!!
Tranquil wrote:EDIT: Uhhh also sorry for my ordinary signature. :D
You should be!! Using the word HACKED is soooo offensive!!! :lol:
Tranquil
Addict
Addict

Post by Tranquil »

Brice Manuel wrote:
michaeled314 wrote:
I agree with my fellow Marylander.
Done.
Tranquil
Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel »

Tranquil wrote:Done.
Thank you :wink:
michaeled314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by michaeled314 »

You should be!! Using the word HACKED is soooo offensive!!! Laughing
I dispize your sarcasm
Tranquil
Addict
Addict

Post by Tranquil »

he Amiga scene? Perhaps not, not really old enough for that, right?
??? Started with C64, Basic and then ASM coding (in the age of 13 years!) using a final cardridge internal ASM Monitor.

After then bourght an Amiga 500 (14 Years) including a 512kb card. (Which was very expensive) Started coding again in Basic, AMOS, Blitz II and first steps in the VERY VERY early stage of PureBasic on Amiga out of the Blitz Mailing list. Upgraded to 1200 with Blizzard 060 CPU Card and 16 MB Fast (WOW!)

You may seek for releases on Mekka/Symposion arround 199X where we made the first place on 32k Game Compo, Music Compo and so on...

So I'm even quite old enough to know amiga times. :-)
Tranquil
maw

Post by maw »

michaeled314 wrote:I dispize your sarcasm
Good for you!
thefool
Always Here
Always Here

Post by thefool »

michaeled314 wrote:
You should be!! Using the word HACKED is soooo offensive!!! Laughing
I dispize your sarcasm
He did not see the previous signature, and he can only see the current one which is "I hacked 127.0.0.1", which is not offensive. Please think twice before posting.. I know I don't allways do that myself, however its a good thing before actually insulting someone.

And Brice Manuel, you haven't allways been such an "angel" yourself. Happy you don't beat your kids though :)
so they don't discipline their kids when needed so today's kids are pretty much "out of control and running wild"
I can only disagree with that. Maw is completely right on this one. Of course i'm just a spoiled young man who has never faced the problems of real life.
Last edited by thefool on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.