DLL licensing issues 2.....

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: Any PB programmers who are EMPLOYEES?

Post by srod »

utopiomania wrote:
Any PB programmers who are EMPLOYEES?
Two or three maybe. I wondered about this myself, but what has dlls to do with this?
A comment was made to the effect that the individual concerned would use PB more in the work place were it not for the apparent restrictions on the use of DLL's etc. Innocuous enough! :)
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Rings

Re: DLL licensing issues 2.....

Post by Rings »

topic splitted
SPAMINATOR NR.1
Raybarg
User
User

Re: Any PB programmers who are EMPLOYEES?

Post by Raybarg »

Kuron wrote:Perhaps an expert could explain how to create a DLL with PB without using a single PB command/function which would by default be wrapping that command/function in the DLL (of which wrapping functions for use is the entire purpose of a DLL)? I am genuinely perplexed. :mrgreen:
You are overgeneralizing term "wrapping" and then trying to interpret this case with that.
ricardo
Addict
Addict

Post by ricardo »

There is no restriction to use PB command in dlls.

What you CANT do is just wrap the PB commands.

If you dll functiond do something else that just wrapping PB functions, its okay.
ARGENTINA WORLD CHAMPION
Distorted Pixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Distorted Pixel »

I'm interested in creating a game in AGK2 and using Pure Basic to do most, but not all the data manipulation because AGK data commands are minimal and not worth using in my opinion. If I write a program in PB to do the data manipulation for the game and put it in dll form is that considered wrapping commands?

I'm not just listing commands and creating a dll, I'm actually writing a whole data manipulation program to do the manipulation. So am I ok with doing this?
Last edited by Distorted Pixel on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be popular is way to much work. I just want to be me, myself and I. Oh no, does that mean I'm bipolar? :shock:

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

Why dont you ask the offical support outlining exactly what your plans are?
Distorted Pixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mijikai wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:49 pm Why dont you ask the offical support outlining exactly what your plans are?
Yea, you are right, I would be better off doing so, so I just got done emailing them. Thank you.
To be popular is way to much work. I just want to be me, myself and I. Oh no, does that mean I'm bipolar? :shock:

BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Distorted Pixel wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:28 pmIf I write a program in PB to do the data manipulation for the game and put it in dll form is that considered wrapping commands?
No, it's not. Wrapping has been answered here -> viewtopic.php?p=369010#p369010
Kukulkan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:18 pmYou can do a DLL that does some job but you are not allowed to do a DLL that offers functionality like myBase64Decoder(), mySHA1Fingerprint(), myCreateImage() or myResizeImage() etc.
You can if you write your own code to do it, such as your own MyResizeImage() that doesn't use ResizeImage(), or uses it PLUS some other things when resizing. For example, if your resize command does a resize but also then centers the resized image in a pre-defined box. This is then not a wrapper for the command, but a whole new custom command that doesn't exist in PureBasic.
Kuron wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:46 pmDLL creation should be removed from the product
Um, no. DLLs are needed for some types of projects, where global access to things are required that can't be done from within the exe itself. But mainly because DLLs provide a way to easily re-use custom coded procedures in your own apps, and for other people's apps.
Distorted Pixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BarryG wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:43 am
Distorted Pixel wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:28 pmIf I write a program in PB to do the data manipulation for the game and put it in dll form is that considered wrapping commands?
No, it's not. Wrapping has been answered here -> viewtopic.php?p=369010#p369010
Kukulkan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:18 pmYou can do a DLL that does some job but you are not allowed to do a DLL that offers functionality like myBase64Decoder(), mySHA1Fingerprint(), myCreateImage() or myResizeImage() etc.
You can if you write your own code to do it, such as your own MyResizeImage() that doesn't use ResizeImage(), or uses it PLUS some other things when resizing. For example, if your resize command does a resize but also then centers the resized image in a pre-defined box. This is then not a wrapper for the command, but a whole new custom command that doesn't exist in PureBasic.
Kuron wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:46 pmDLL creation should be removed from the product
Um, no. DLLs are needed for some types of projects, where global access to things are required that can't be done from within the exe itself. But mainly because DLLs provide a way to easily re-use custom coded procedures in your own apps, and for other people's apps.
So, if I understand it right, you can create a DLL that does something like manipulate data and save it to a file for a game mainly built in another language, but you can't just wrap PB commands that don't do anything to add PB commands to another language, correct?

Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

Distorted Pixel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am So, if I understand it right, you can create a DLL that does something like manipulate data and save it to a file for a game mainly built in another language, but you can't just wrap PB commands that don't do anything to add PB commands to another language, correct?
Correct !
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
Distorted Pixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bisonte wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:15 am
Correct !
Thank you, finally someone explained it in simple understandable English