Update

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Update

Post by netmaestro »

Hi folks,
Some of you may remember the summer of 2012 when my wife and I, empty-nesters, sold everything off, bought an RV and headed for the forests of British Columbia. I posted stuff related to our adventure back then in OT. Since then we have worked as Provincial Park Operators during the summer months and travelled south to warmer climates in the winter. That's all changed now as we have bought property in Fort Nelson, BC this past year and are settling down to a permanent home in the North. I remember when I was a young man my father used to tell me that my old-age pension would start one day and I wouldn't have contributed anything to it. As that date looms next year, I have been reminded of his warning and the rightness of his prediction hits all too close to home. He was right. But he was also wrong in a very important way. Most people pay a mortgage for decades and finally (if they're lucky) pay it off before old age. Many don't, I know. But we owned a fifth-wheel RV that was quite valuable as we had traded up constantly. When a listing appeared for an excellent house in Fort Nelson at a sacrificed price, the sale of our RV was enough to pay for the house outright. Fort Nelson is a town that has seen some economic downturn in the past couple of years. We jumped at the chance. And so we're townies now. No more fighting bears and drunks in the parks, we just live in town. And write a bit of code now and then. PureBasic, of course. There is nothing else.
BERESHEIT
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Re: Update

Post by IceSoft »

Good luck boy.
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

netmaestro wrote:the sale of our RV was enough to pay for the house outright
Good stuff. As a renter, I envy you. :)
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

netmaestro wrote:And write a bit of code now and then. PureBasic, of course.
Looking forward to it ;) and all the best, townies
Et cetera is my worst enemy
blueb
Addict
Addict

Post by blueb »

netmaestro wrote: ...and are settling down to a permanent home in the North.
Wow! I've spent time in Fort St John and Dawson Creek, and thought they were the 'far north'

It'll be terrific in the summers... but you might still consider warmer getaways in the winters. :mrgreen:

Have fun and let us know how you're getting on.
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 Beta 9 (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Hi Lloyd. Great to hear that you're finally able to settle down, with pension security soon to come. My nest is still not quite paid for, and it's still far from empty; more like a rent-free hotel, really. But your story has once again triggered longings for quieter days to come, hopefully with continued companionship, good health, and financial independence.

BTW, Happy 64th (just around the corner, IIRC), and good luck! :D
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

netmaestro wrote:No more fighting bears and drunks in the parks...
That's right, you can fight them in your own garden now! :)
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

try to understand your post, netmaestro. because I am not a native english speaker... one question: what does RV mean?

(doing some research...)

Ah, okay. Now I know that "RV" means motorhome. ;-)

Hello netmaestro,

I didn't follow your story in "offtopic", but I find your career very interesting. My wife and I are also in the process of changing our professional and lifestyle. We have already reduced our household and now live on 65 sqm instead of 120 sqm as we did recently.

To live completely in a motorhome is a really serious cut. I can guess what that meant for you.

Your father's advice to make financial provision for old age is certainly correct. This will also be an important issue for me, as I have recently made myself professionally independent and now I only have as much income (or rather little income) as I need. We have reduced our financial demands and exchanged them for leisure time and mental health. But this means also that I no longer pay into the state pension scheme, so I have to keep an eye on our financial resources for retirement.

I pay tribute and respect to you for your period of life in the RV and congratulate you on purchasing the new house. I think this is the right step for the old age. A paid house is worth a lot in terms of running costs (we live also in a paid house or cottage).

All the best for you.
Kurzer
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"
TassyJim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TassyJim »

Hi netmaestro,
I did something similar. We retired from the rat-race 12 years ago with me at 54 and the bride a few years younger.
We dragged an American 5th wheeler around Australia on and off for 7 years before selling it and taking a few overseas holidays with the proceeds of the sale.

The Global Financial Crisis wans't too kind to us and I have recently been given a part pension (after 5 months fight).
We live on a small 10 acre block in an old but comfortable house in the country. No bears here.

We did all the fun stuff while we had good health.

I have just been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and the tremors make typing difficult.
My coding is bad enough without that to contend with.

I can still think...
Olliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Olliv »

TassyJim wrote:I have just been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease
Hello TJ,

I do not know if there is different diseases of Parkinson, or if Parkinson is only one disease. What I could see near 20 years ago is a chirurgical op to integrate a pair of very small electrods inside the brain. This causes a permanent micro-stimulus which destroys the Parkinson effects. To integrate this system, the person is kept awaken (local anesthesic) to allow communicating and to check exactly in which region the result is the best. I hope you will find this same information and the right insurance policy.

Thank you Lloyd for your news. I hope you collected lots of photos to comment them and make a big history.
TassyJim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TassyJim »

Olliv wrote: What I could see near 20 years ago is a chirurgical op to integrate a pair of very small electrods inside the brain. This causes a permanent micro-stimulus which destroys the Parkinson effects.
Yes, Deep Brain Stimulation. It doesn't suit everyone and I am a long way off going there but is is good to know that it might be a help in the future. Early days and a lot more coding to happen first.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Welcome back in the city Netmaestro ! What you did by living in nature is a great way to spend life and build memories, hope you enjoyed it :)
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Don't get any ideas Fred! :twisted: :lol:
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

skywalk wrote:Don't get any ideas Fred! :twisted: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Or, don't do what that srod does when he gets down and dirty on the farm with idle's sheep:):)

Welcome back Lloyd.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF