Purebasic on Udemy.com

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Purebasic on Udemy.com

Post by Zebuddi123 »

malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore
RSBasic

Re: Purebasic on Udemy.com

Post by RSBasic »

It's interesting.
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Purebasic on Udemy.com

Post by Zebuddi123 »

Hi RSBasic.

It would be! as a typical brit I only understand and speak one language mines a wired dialect of English Like "watsupmiduck" "watshontelli" "mekussacuppamihowedcoker" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's On Things to Do Ideas & Inspiration Explore Stay Food & Drink News, Offers & Prizes Plan A Visit Blog

You are here > Blog > Speak In Nottingham To Me - A Beginner's Guide To Nottingham's Dialect
Jul 19 2017
Speak In Nottingham To Me - A Beginner's Guide To Nottingham's Dialect
In have-a-go, love-local, featured

Language is certainly one of our best creations. Without it, it would be difficult for us to coexist, establish communities and share feelings. Language makes it all easier and helps us work together and understand one another. Throughout history people always felt the need to find one universal language for all. Several attempts were made to popularise different languages and make them used globally, with Latin being one of the first languages widely-spread across Europe. Back then Latin was a language of science, literature, law, and administration. It was also used in churches, and most books were written in Latin as well. Then there was the time of French and Spanish, during the colonisation period. French then took over and it became the official language of diplomacy until World War II, when English replaced it as the lingua franca ever since.

Een though in the 21st century English is the dominant language, its local dialects never cease to surprise, fascinate and challenge not only the speakers of English as a second language but also natives who at times also struggle to understand the local talk. As a linguist I'm always on a quest to help people communicate better, and learn more about languages and local dialects. And in an attempt to do just that I've put together a list of words and phrases for all of you out there who would like to know more about 'Nottinghamese'.

small robin hood nottingham

Small talk words & phrases: We all need these, they are a perfect way to start a conversation, help break the silence and allow us to avoid topics that we're not very keen on.

Ay up miduck! - Hello friend! (The most popular Nottingham greeting)
Allreet - Are you OK
That’s animal - It's good
That’s sick - It's good
Tarrah thenn - Goodbye
Ay-up yooth (to a man) or Ay-up midduk (to a lady or small child) - Good Morning/afternoon/ evening
Intitt koad? - Don't you think it's chilly today?
Wottjowont? - Do you require something?
Owzyorr kidd? - Is your brother/sister in good health?
Am orryte - I am quite well
Wairja wokk? - What is your occupation?

robin hood and lady marian

Top survival words & phrases: If on a one fine day you find yourself in a shady or uncomfortable situation, and you're not sure what to say you should always have this short guide on hand. *Terms & Conditions Apply: we are not responsible for the reaction of the local folk after hearing some of those phrases.

Famished - Very hungry
Clammed - Hungry
Nesh - Cold / I feel the cold
Middlin - Fairly well
Jiggy change - Small change given to bus driver
Wairza booza? - Could you direct me to the local hostelry?
Goowonn gerroff - Please go away
Am tellin yammam - I shall report this incident to your mother
Yo shitt! - I do not wish to converse any longer
Yo dutti sodd! - I am disgusted by your language/behaviour! Yo mukki bogga!
Shuttya gobb! - Please bring this conversation to a speedy conclusion
Am nakkud - I am very tired
Aya seena bogg? - Is there a toilet nearby?
Mee dogzizz barkin - My feet hurt
Gerra moovonn - Please hurry

Zebuddi.
malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore