Took the plunge...

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
d3bug
New User
New User

Took the plunge...

Post by d3bug »

I finally took the plunge and purchased. I have been mulling this decision over for a very long time. Most of what kept me from doing it was the idea that I would never actually use it to code. I grew up in the 80s with a Timex/Sinclair 1000 and a Commodore 64. I learned the joy of programming on those systems. Unfortunately, later in life I made the mistake of making my career and hobby the same thing, so I kind of burned out, and lost all enjoyment in the field. So now, after my 20yr extended hiatus, I think I may be able to start to enjoy this thing again (computer) and decided to give PB a go because I have always had a special place in my heart for BASIC in it's many forms. I never bought into the hype that you cannot do serious work with it. I always found it sufficient (with a smidgen of ML for sort routines or other things that are simple but need high speed). Anyway, just thought I would introduce myself. Now I just have to come up with some idea of what to make with PB... :shock:
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Re: Took the plunge...

Post by Kuron »

Welcome to the community and congratulations on your purchase. :mrgreen:

You made a wise decision.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

You can't go wrong with purchasing PureBasic. Easy to use plus easy to mix inline assembly and a great community.
Welcome aboard
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
Saboteur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Saboteur »

Welcome from a ZX Spectrum user ;)
[:: PB Registered ::]

Win10 Intel core i5-3330 8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

d3bug wrote:...I have always had a special place in my heart for BASIC in it's many forms. I never bought into the hype that you cannot do serious work with it. I always found it sufficient (with a smidgen of ML for sort routines or other things that are simple but need high speed)...
Hi d3bug, and welcome to the wonderful world of PureBasic. Be prepared to renew your love affair with BASIC, because this one's a true temptress. It's fast, it's light, and it's tight.

PureBasic was spawned when BASIC met C, and they were both high on Assembly. It's syntax-friendly, with a fully integrated and lightweight cross-platform IDE, which compiles to super-fast, super-small, dependency-free, single-file executables. Everything we BASIC lovers ever wanted.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Welcome from ZX81 user... 8)

I also made the mistake of turning my hobby into my profession.
My main task is PLC programming and visualization. I get along with VB-Scripting and C-Scripting. Maybe VB6 for ancient projects.

Otherwise I program, if there is no software, also with PureBASIC special application programs and services.

Even if the whole programming becomes too much for me, Purebasic is still fun for me.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

TI-994A wrote:a fully integrated and lightweight cross-platform IDE
The IDE alone is worth the price of admission. :D
d3bug
New User
New User

Post by d3bug »

Thanks for the warm welcomes. This is going to be quite a learning curve for me. I have never used anything like Visual Basic/Studio, etc... nothing where you manage "Projects" with multiple sources etc... I am used to coding everything inside of 64k and usually as one single file (source)... even in ASM, same way. I just need to come up with an idea what to use it for. I'm not sure if I want to write something serious or a game...
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

d3bug wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes. This is going to be quite a learning curve for me. I have never used anything like Visual Basic/Studio, etc... nothing where you manage "Projects" with multiple sources etc...
You do not need to use multiple sources. It can still be easy to manage a single source file due to the code folding in the IDE.

There is a learning curve, there is one with any language, but the strength of PB is it provides for several different methodologies, so you can keep things as simple as you want, or as complex as you want. You do not have to use the more advanced coding methods unless you want to.

I have used PB since 2004. Unfortunately, in 2014 I suffered a TBI and due to the damage done, I have had to relearn a lot of things. Programming is one of those things I am struggling to relearn, and it is no longer easy for me to learn new things (or even relearn old things as is the case with PB). You will probably have a much easier time than I am.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

d3bug wrote:...This is going to be quite a learning curve for me. I have never used anything like Visual Basic/Studio, etc... nothing where you manage "Projects" with multiple sources etc... I am used to coding everything inside of 64k and usually as one single file (source)...
In addition to being feature-rich, PureBasic is also very dynamic and flexible. There are a number of programming paradigms that can be used, from procedural based, event-driven, and modular architecture, to non-structured sequential execution. And thanks to some experts here on the forum, even OOP could be somewhat emulated. From single code-page applications to multi-module, enterprise-level projects; just write once and deploy on all three platforms.

The best approach would be to dive right back in, and discover what works. And here's a quick guide to getting familiarised with its fundamentals. It's not an attempt at shameless promotion, but rather a compilation of answers from the gurus here. Hope it helps you too.

> The Basic Anatomy of a PureBasic Program
Last edited by TI-994A on Sat May 18, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

TI-994A wrote: And thanks to some experts here on the forum, even OOP could be somewhat simulated
And thanks to some experts here in the forum even OOP could be used in simple basic form.

If Purebasic would only simulate OOP, you would not be able to use object-oriented external functions.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

d3bug wrote:I grew up in the 80s with a Timex/Sinclair 1000 and a Commodore 64.
You're going to love PureBasic, then. It's got that C64-coding feeling in a big way.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

BarryG wrote:It's got that C64-coding feeling in a big way.
+1
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I wonder, has anyone ever done a C64 theme for the IDE? You know, C64 font and colors? I might make one.