The importance of Purebasic ( and languages like it )

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
GedB
Addict
Addict

The importance of Purebasic ( and languages like it )

Post by GedB »

Here’s a recent video of a talk by games developer Jonathan Blow: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-SOdj4Kkk

He talks about how science and craft go into decline. He shows how this happened in the past, and how it is happening to software right now.

I’ve witnessed this happening over my two decades in the industry. Huge teams with sophisticated tools failing to deliver what small teams could do before with little support.

Sure, what they are creating will have all kinds of flashy nonsense that doesn’t really matter, but the users are still doing basically the same thing. The software just gets in the way more now. It’s also less resilient and less reliable.

The Purebasic team are keeping that light alive. At the 24 minute mark Blow shows Visual Studio failing at the simplest task.

Think about the huge team at Microsoft that work on VS. Now look at the tiny team working on PB. Yet, somehow, I find myself more productive working in PB than I do in VS.

There is a much better way to create software, but it is becoming a lost art. Purebasic and the community around it are keeping that art alive.

Keep up the good work. Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by GedB on Sat May 18, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: The importance of Purebasic ( and languages like it )

Post by BarryG »

GedB wrote:The Purebasic team are keeping that light alive.
Amen!
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Haha, I was just watching that video and totally agree with its premise.
Just look at MS Office today! shudders...the amount and scope of gui real estate is disgusting and insulting and stealing both machine and human clock cycles. Experienced users spend an hour to customize the spam and new users even more to wade through it.
I am waiting/watching for jai and zig for an improved C/C++ experience.
Both adopt a KISS approach in their design. Do not attempt to solve all problems in convoluted abstractions. Just crank out the 90% in a direct straightforward manner. I especially like the goal of compiler functions in the language. Meaning, no make files. And using LLVM, your code compiles to all possible targets.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
box_80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by box_80 »

I agree with the video. Can only see things getting worst.
Olliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Olliv »

I do not understand the movie exactly.
Olliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Olliv »

Who will win? Big businessmen or clever children ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=daA4nif_kd0

This subject is a good choice to recall the qualities of Purebasic. But the video, I am less sure.
box_80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by box_80 »

I agree with the video from the part I didn't skip. He talk about many subjects. What I take from the video is the mainstream tech companies priority to software. Some examples would be stuff is becoming more complex when it don't have to be and will holding back productivity over the long run. . New programmers learning only the high level programming languages and don't know much how the hardware works. Many old good programming principles are disappearing.
Olli
Addict
Addict

Post by Olli »

I do not see however any good global changes for real... I apologize to be so blind...