Raspberry Pi 4

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Raspberry Pi 4

Post by the.weavster »

Raspberry Pi 4 is now available with a faster processor and up to 4GB of RAM: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... odel-b-4gb
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by tj1010 »

I've had a Banana Pie M3 for years that has a 8-core A7 and PowerVR that I'm pretty sure scales better. I paid like $50.00; they are 68.00 on AliExpress now.

If I need a complex host that runs a OS I just use that and Gentoo, or I go for low-energy M3 or M4 real-time based stuff.. I'd like to see octa-core with a higher clock on the fast-four and 4-8 GB of LDDR4 on a <$70.00 board.. These things are great for running stealth servers off of..
The truth hurts.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Banana Pi and Orange Pi do offer some decent specs for the money but I'd still rather have a Raspberry Pi because of the support / community.
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

What about AtomicPI? It can run PB apps I think :)

https://dlidirect.com/products/atomic-p ... 7783004265
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

vwidmer wrote:What about AtomicPI? It can run PB apps I think :)
No, it cannot do that.
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

Little John wrote:
vwidmer wrote:What about AtomicPI? It can run PB apps I think :)
No, it cannot do that.
Hum are you sure.. It is x86 right.
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Ooops, looks like I got something mixed up. Sorry.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Intel Edison had the cleanest form and best QA, but Intel is discontinuing all three of it's SBC platforms.. I ran PB on one of those dirt-cheap VIA ITX boards a long time ago under Debian and XP SP3(retail and embedded), so there should be no problem. They are all ELF and PE binaries it's the subsystems that will break PB if anything; I never had an issue with GTK&Debian or NT stuff though and it's all more stable now.

I've fantasized about Raid 6 and reverse proxy on UPS fail-over infrastructure using these low powered SBC for a long time but always was short on money or short on time to actually build images and set it up. I have a game server in PB that uses a golang http interface that I'd like to put on it along with some http CMS stuff..

4+ GB LDDR4 and octa-core under $80.00 I think is something that could happen at any time though.. I seem to remember an octa core Pentium too with POP RAM but forget the micro-arch and model; they were going in to hybrid tablets I believe..
The truth hurts.
crgimenes
New User
New User

Post by crgimenes »

tj1010 wrote:Intel Edison had the cleanest form and best QA, but Intel is discontinuing all three of it's SBC platforms
it's a shame Intel has discontinued the Intel Edison board. I had some here from when I had a hackerspace.
Without a doubt, it was the best card to run a small golang server. The best part is that it was an 80x86 which made deployable deployments ridiculously simple.

Now I'm also looking for a good replacement for Edison.