OT question for Linuxers

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: OT question for Linuxers

Post by Bitblazer »

Tenaja wrote:...Can you explain to me why there are so many distros?
"3 linux developers meet to discuss the creation of a common linux version. At the end of the meeting, 5 new linux versions are released."
Marc56us wrote:This is also why it is not possible to standardize the installations.
I disagree and have already a working version, my main problem isnt the distribution differences (thats solved with the textmode component). The only problem with finishing and releasing it is the fact that i can't get the personalised licensed version of a user to download and install it. I would need to access their personal account and i really don't want to get into spending a lot of work just to have the same "omg this must be malware, its asking about my login info" panic again. I experienced that with another community and prefer to just work on other projects ;)

Other companies do have an installer for linux, but they just cover a handfull of distributions or even just one. For Purebasic my tools can currently cover 98% of the linux distributions.
For a GUI based linux application you need a concept like this probably. Ironically in linux this actually worked on all distributions i tried, on windows most AV/Security suites would intercept that and warn about a trojan.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Tenaja wrote:...Can you explain to me why there are so many distros?
"3 linux developers meet to discuss the creation of a common linux version. At the end of the meeting, 5 new linux versions are released."
Tenaja wrote:How do I tell if there are any technical differences? Something other than the gui and included software
What kind of techical info are you looking for? You can freely use the textmode component of the linux systeminfo. It's only covered by a CC license so you can freely use the tool as you like.
Marc56us wrote:This is also why it is not possible to standardize the installations.
I disagree and have already a working version, my main problem isnt the distribution differences (thats solved with the textmode component). The only problem with finishing and releasing it is the fact that i can't get the personalised licensed version of a user to download and install it. I would need to access their personal account and i really don't want to get into spending a lot of work just to have the same "omg this must be malware, its asking about my login info" panic again. I experienced that with another community and prefer to just work on other projects ;)

Other companies do have an installer for linux, but they just cover a handfull of distributions or even just one. For Purebasic my tools can currently cover 98% of the linux distributions.
For a GUI based linux application you need a concept like this probably. Ironically in linux this actually worked on all distributions i tried, on windows most AV/Security suites would intercept that and warn about a trojan.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

@Bitblazer: Something went wrong with your quoting. :?:
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.