Windows Hardware Acceleration

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
J. Baker
Addict
Addict

Windows Hardware Acceleration

Post by J. Baker »

After working on a new app, using the CanvasGadget(), I noticed the flickering and slow refresh rate on Windows 7. Dragging images around on the canvas look bad. I haven't had this issue on Windows XP or even OS X. So I did some investigation and found that Windows 7 hardware acceleration, is a lack thereof. Something changed in the WDDM driver version after 1.0 and it is just not the same. Granted I haven't done any test in Windows 8 or 10. I don't really care for them but I did find the fix for Windows 7. I swapped out my Nvidia GT 720 for the ATI 9250 and problem solved. I have hardware acceleration again and the CanvasGadget() now works great.

The problem with that is, you can not tell your customers to go and get an older graphics card, so your apps works properly. Anyways, I will have to do some test on Windows 10 and see if there's an issue there too. Anyone else run into this issue on Windows 7, 8, or 10? Mainly graphics moving on the canvas or slow GUI refresh rates.
www.posemotion.com

PureBasic Tools for OS X: PureMonitor, plist Tool, Data Maker & App Chef

Mac: 10.13.6 / 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 / Nvidia 320M
PC: Win 7 / AMD 64 4000+ / 3GB DDR / Nvidia 720GT

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.
yoxola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Windows Hardware Acceleration

Post by yoxola »

Win 8/10 have a new video driver architecture called "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" which is a fallback for temporary video driver and performed better. And Win10 actually try to install WDDM driver when you're online.

And you can try your program on a VirtualBox to see if it works as expected.
This field was left intentionally as signature.
J. Baker
Addict
Addict

Re: Windows Hardware Acceleration

Post by J. Baker »

Thanks for the info. My kids have Windows 10 computers but I haven't got around to testing anything on it yet. Maybe later today.
www.posemotion.com

PureBasic Tools for OS X: PureMonitor, plist Tool, Data Maker & App Chef

Mac: 10.13.6 / 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 / Nvidia 320M
PC: Win 7 / AMD 64 4000+ / 3GB DDR / Nvidia 720GT

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.