Anti-Virus Annoyance

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
J. Baker
Addict
Addict

Anti-Virus Annoyance

Post by J. Baker »

My recent screen saver project has been getting rejected by Anti-Virus software. Avast and Windows Defender or whatever it is called. Avast continued to keep blocking the app even after it was white listed by Avast. It did run fine after being white listed for a few days. They are looking into it and trying to figure out why. Microsoft's Defender just straight up blocked it and never allowed it to run. The installer I made for the screen saver has no issues and it is writing to a directory.

Crazy thing is, the screen saver doesn't write to any directories, nor the registry, and does not call on any other program to run. These Anti-Virus programs these days are just winging it anymore when it comes to virus detection. If I told a client/user of one of my apps that it had a 50/50 chance of working properly, no one would be using it. How and why we rely on these Anti-Virus programs is beyond me. It's become a guessing game with them.

Even if you sign your app, there's no guarantee that it will not still get flagged. Even worse. If you sign your app and get one false detection, all of your apps signed by the same signature could get flagged in the future. And you pay big bucks per year for this signed certificate. This is crazy if you ask me.

I know this is not PureBasic's fault nor my own but something needs to be done by these Anti-Virus developers. I don't even think I will renew my license for Avast unless they really try and solve this.
www.posemotion.com

PureBasic Tools for OS X: PureMonitor, plist Tool, Data Maker & App Chef

Mac: 10.13.6 / 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 / Nvidia 320M
PC: Win 7 / AMD 64 4000+ / 3GB DDR / Nvidia 720GT

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: Anti-Virus Annoyance

Post by BarryG »

J. Baker wrote:If you sign your app and get one false detection, all of your apps signed by the same signature could get flagged in the future.
An excellent (and shocking!) point to consider. I never thought of that.

See also -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74182
J. Baker
Addict
Addict

Re: Anti-Virus Annoyance

Post by J. Baker »

That's interesting but also not surprising. Hmm...
www.posemotion.com

PureBasic Tools for OS X: PureMonitor, plist Tool, Data Maker & App Chef

Mac: 10.13.6 / 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 / Nvidia 320M
PC: Win 7 / AMD 64 4000+ / 3GB DDR / Nvidia 720GT

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.