This page isn’t working right now

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

So, to my suprise MS have released Edge (Google Chrome version) on Windows 7. So I installed, rebooted, opened:

microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com can't currently handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

:mrgreen:

It actually is working fine. Perhaps the API Web Gadget will get updated too?
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: This page isn’t working right now

Post by C87 »

Microsoft.....doncha ya just love 'em?
They've just updated me to Win10Pro build 18363.900 which took hours.
They also helpfully changed my default browser to Edge, plus they added a Desktop shortcut to it for me.
After reversing those, now I've got to trawl though all the security stuff. Basically to see what
other settings they have decided to alter on my computer. All for their benefit not mine. :x

(later I noticed that the default program for a PDF file had changed from Adobe to Edge! Presumably if it is opened in the Edge browser,
then MS have access via specific code for PDFs in Edge. There is a reason for everything. )
Last edited by C87 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

This OS isn't working right now! would perhaps be a more accurate message. :lol:
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

:mrgreen:

Microsoft says removing Windows apps is a copyright violation!

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-files ... injutsu-os

... if that includes the new Edge, they are really taking the water spout, given that it's a modified Google Chrome.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

IdeasVacuum wrote:Microsoft says removing Windows apps is a copyright violation!
I looked it up, and it was because the creator of Ninjutsu OS was distributing an actual modified Windows 10 ISO image with the tweak tools embedded. He should've just made the tweak tools available separately as a standalone product. So yeah, Microsoft is right and justified in this particular case. The Ninjutsu OS creator mistakenly assumed he'd be okay legally because you could only use the modified ISO if you already owned a valid license key for Windows 10. He failed to realise that doesn't protect him. As an analogy, it'd be like me changing some of PureBasic's settings, and then making the whole PureBasic package with those new settings available on my website for download. Fred wouldn't be happy, either!
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

Nope, you cannot remove Edge, it is a built-in application.
Cortana the friendly software that transmits everything you do on your computer back to Microsoft, is very difficult to remove.
Cortana is also impossible to fully Suspend it in Control Panel, neither can you use End Task on it in Control Panel.
Google's CAPTCHA is similar to Cortana, as it also wants to know what you are up to. Nothing to do with the rubbish about robots.
CAPTCHA will often pop up when you go online and order something. Sometimes when entering card details. Why would a robot do that?
It is all about Google wanting to know what you are doing, buying and for how much. CAPTCHA is another spy on your actions. If I
open a site that requires CAPTCHA to continue, I always close it down.

It's all good fun!
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!