Google Translate Service

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Google Translate Service

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi All,

Over the past three weeks I have written a text translation tool, leveraging off code I wrote in answer to this post.

Because my website is in a bit of a transition, I've decided to give a brief description of Google Translate Service in the Off Topic forum.

Using the PureBasic WebGadget and the technology behind Google Translate, combined with some inventive programming, I was able to produce what I hope is a fairly stable tool.

My original intent was to create a Windows Service that ran in the background, to simplify translating forum messages, documents, etc. to and from any language.
As I continued programming it became obvious that it was better as a tool then a service, but I liked the name so I kept it.

The Google Translate "Service" can run window-less, without any indication that it's active, utilizing Ctrl keys to perform various actions.
Ctrl + F4 ★ Copy Translation
Ctrl + F5 ★ Copy • Paste Translation
Ctrl + F6 ★ Listen • Stop Selection
Ctrl + F7 ★ Listen • Stop Translation
Ctrl + Esc ★ Terminate Translate Service

Other options are to work from the window interface or a combination of the two; from simple translation to more advanced text replacement.
Clipboard Viewer with Context Menu and Options Panel

The first three Ctrl "buttons" at the bottom of the Clipboard Viewer are clickable and the next four are draggable, simulating the above mentioned Ctrl key actions.
From Clipboard Viewer's context menu, under Advanced Options is a simple yet powerful feature that utilizes Regular Expressions for text replacement.

Image Image Image
Last edited by JHPJHP on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joris
Addict
Addict

Re: Google Translate Service

Post by Joris »

I thought that the Google Translate function soon would only work if you were logged into Google?
Will that not be the case too in your Google Translate Service ?
Yeah I know, but keep in mind ... Leonardo da Vinci was also an autodidact.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi Joris,
Joris wrote:I thought that the Google Translate function soon would only work if you were logged into Google?
According to Google, that only applies to the translation history.
Google wrote:Upcoming changes to history
Translation history will soon only be available when you are signed in and will be centrally managed within My Activity. Past history will be cleared during this upgrade, so make sure to save translations you want to remember for ease of access later.
The tool I wrote already incorporates an SQLite database for various operational tasks, it would be fairly easy to include translation history.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi All,

The Google Translate Service tool has been completed (pending any reported problems), and has been added to the downloads available from My PureBasic Stuff.

See this post for more information about the tool.

In addition, various download packages have also been updated with numerous improvements and bug fixes.

NB*: Downloads now require an access key; more information can be found visiting the website and reading the welcome message.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi All,

Here is a short animation demonstrating one of the Google Translate Service features; animation created using the Video Snipping Tool.
- copied a selection of code to the clipboard
- used an existing Regular Expression to filter the list
- removed parts of the list not wanting translated
- translated the remaining list
- applied the translated filter

idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

As JHPJHP is currently unavailable, topic is locked as per his request.