recover deleted pb files?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
doctorized
Addict
Addict

recover deleted pb files?

Post by doctorized »

I upgraded my pc. I decided to keep my Samsung 500GB ssd to the new computer. I copied all my files, including my pb projects, to a second hdd disk. When I tried to install win 10 on the new computer, accidently selected the second disk with the files. The partition was deleted and windows created their own ones. Windows wrote about 30GB on the disk. My files are about 300GB. So, what can I do to restore my files, at least those who can be restored? I tried Active@ File Recovery but it cannot recover pb files. What can I do to be able to restore them too? It is easy to restore documents and images but pb files?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: recover deleted pb files?

Post by BarryG »

PB files are just documents (literally text files), so it's weird that it can't recover them. Do you need to filter them specifically by extension (*.pb) to see them for selection, maybe? That's what I do with "Recuva", because that app doesn't know they're documents either.

And as you learned: when installing Windows from scratch, always physically disconnect any drives that you don't want touched! I don't trust Microsoft with my data at all - as you learned the hard way. It even pisses me off when Windows uses my external P: drive for its temp files! That drive is literally for me to store my own data manually, not for the OS to touch! But Microsoft doesn't give a damn and does what it wants.
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

I was under extreme time pressure and I was not thinking clearly. Otherwise, I would select the correct drive. Active@ File Recovery does not recover txt or cimilar files. It can recover doc, docx, etc by checking them from a list of types. It doesn't have txt or something like that. It has an option to restore all types of files but is wants up to 101 hours to complete. That's why I am asking for help. I do not wnat to let my pc run for almost 5 days in a row and knowing that pb files may not be recovered.

What exactly are you doing with Recuva?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

It likely wasn't your fault anyway; I've read horror stories about Windows deleting other drives when installing the OS from scratch. That's why I always disconnect all drives except literally the one I want for C: when installing Windows. It's just safer.

Can you run "Recuva" on the drive and then search by "*.pb" extension?
doctorized wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:33 amActive@ File Recovery does not recover txt or cimilar files
To be honest, that sounds like a really crappy and unprofessional data recovery product. Like, really crappy.
doctorized wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:33 amWhat exactly are you doing with Recuva?
Below are the Recuva settings that I use, and how I filter for PB files when the scan is done (it's showing 3 found deleted files). Not guaranteeing you'll get any usable results with Recuva, but at least it's another plan of attack before you start your 5-day wait. Another option is Easeus Data Recovery Wizard. I've had success with the trial version of that in the past (it allows 2 GB of free recovery, with payment for more). It actually found more lost files than Recuva did for me. Maybe the purchase price is preferable to a 5-day wait? Assuming the trial works to recover the first 2 GB of your PB files, that is.

Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

doctorized wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:33 am I was under extreme time pressure and I was not thinking clearly. Otherwise, I would select the correct drive. Active@ File Recovery does not recover txt or cimilar files. It can recover doc, docx, etc by checking them from a list of types.
Have a look at PhotoRec/Testdisk. You can add a list of custom types for it to search through. Just remember to tell it to restore to a disk OTHER THAN the one you are recovering from.

Very simplistic interface but it's free and works.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

FileScavenger, TestDisc and Recuva.... all these programs are good! unless the lost data is not overwritten...
Rescue the founded data on another drive !
And this will take time....
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

A bit unrelated and off topic but once upon a time, back when I still used PureBasic, during a thunderstorm I tried to save a file and as soon as I CTRL + S'd my electricity went off. When it came back on my file was full of garbage!

I was super peeved about losing what was essentially one giant 800 line source file lol

After that day I looked into version control and discovered bitbucket.com which I highly recommend, especially for windows machines because they have an excellent git client called SourceTree!
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Nituvious wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:48 pmAfter that day I looked into version control
For those who don't know: PureBasic has version control (of sorts) built-in. It's the "File -> Session History" menu item, and you'll have all your old edited codes just sitting there to be copied/pasted again. Mine is set to save all edits back to one year ago.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

This is where a WinPE would have been of great use
You can take a look, maybe before the next time, at my well know free Win10XPE project (>320000 download - 8 times on magazine cover).
I started on the subject more than 10 years ago after a disk crash.
Win10XPE will help you build a lightweight desktop Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE)
for performing tasks or troubleshooting a Windows OS while it is Offline or for installing a Windows OS.
It can be booted via USB drive, CD-ROM, or hard disk.

Uses of WinPE:

Set up your hard drive and prepare it for installing a Windows OS
Troubleshoot problems with the OS
Clone or Image a Windows system and later Restore it
Make changes to the Windows OS, when needed
Perform Recovery operations
Recover data from unbootable devices
And more…

Win10XPE is a complete project based on Windows 10 Recovery Environment with many windows features added. Based on a new Concept, its main objective is to be simple, user-friendly and to be as fast as possible. Use the many XPE plugins available to customize your build to your taste.
I don't work on it since January, my latest version is hosted on Github Win10XPE_2021-01-16 or on Win10PESE download page (my former project)
KYHI and APT38 who worked with me on the project, continues to maintain it
See Win10XPE - Build Your Own Rescue Media -> Win10XPE - Build Your Own Rescue Media [2]

In the project, there are plugins for data recovery such as
Hasleo Data Recovery
iBoysoft Data Recovery
MiniTool Power Data Recovery 9.1
Recuva
TestDisk & PhotoRec 7.2
I personally recommend Recuva, the one with which I had the best results when I had to use.
Win10XPE, a mini windows 10 OS, is loaded in Ram which allows to have good performances for this kind of operation.

Sorry for the publicity for my project, not related to PB.
But I really think it's good to have a USB stick with Win10XPE on it in its medicine box, a great help in case of need.
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

I tried Recuva and other apps but none of them managed to recover working pb files. They found some pb files that have chinese chars in them. Thank God I found an old 1 year-old copy on my laptop. I am talking about projects with more than 5,000 lines each. With covid lockdowns, I had the time to make them much better. No I have to do it again. Thank you all for your replays.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

doctorized wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:24 pmThey found some pb files that have chinese chars in them.
Sounds like the usual character encoding problem. I usually use something like HxdView or Helium to identify and solve them.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All