Is there a way to find the variable?

Working on new editor enhancements?
tseyfarth
User
User

Is there a way to find the variable?

Post by tseyfarth »

Hello all,

I am still very very green in the world of PB. My app uses lots of files, many of which are database files that hold their structures. Within these are Global Dim vars. Is there a way, like VB6 where you can put your cursor on top of a var, and then get taken to that var?

Thank you
Tim
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Re: Is there a way to find the variable?

Post by skywalk »

Yeah, I miss that feature from Visual Studio.
While we wait for more Tool automation dll goodies, have a look at the [Find in files...] menu pick. Assign it to a shortcut and limit the search pattern according to your preferences and it will fill a results list that contains all references to your search word/phrase. Then you can DblClk the result line and it will jump the IDE to that location or open the file if required. Kinda a lot to do, but it works. :wink:
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Post by Demivec »

tseyfarth wrote:I am still very very green in the world of PB. My app uses lots of files, many of which are database files that hold their structures. Within these are Global Dim vars. Is there a way, like VB6 where you can put your cursor on top of a var, and then get taken to that var?
PB's IDE doesn't support that yet.

jaPBe supports something similar:
  • - you highlight the variable
    - press F1
    - a list is displayed with two columns. One column contains the variable along with text that would be part of its declaration and the other contains the line it appears in. Examples in the list include: {'mx.s', 20}; {'Protected mx.l', 450}; {'Define mx', 570}
    - lines in the list can be selected or rotated through and the code window scrolls to show the corresponding line
I wish the PB IDE had this feature as well.
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

That is EXACTLY what I wrote CodeCaddy for :-)
( PB6.00 LTS Win11 x64 Asrock AB350 Pro4 Ryzen 5 3600 32GB GTX1060 6GB)
( The path to enlightenment and the PureBasic Survival Guide right here... )