Selecting Objects

Working on new editor enhancements?
AussiePup
User
User

Selecting Objects

Post by AussiePup »

I've been programming for years but am brand new to Windows programming. I have been unable to get a single object onto the text screen in the Visual Designer. I must be doing something really wrong!

When I invoke the VD, a new screen appears. Let's say I want to put an "OK" button somewhere on the screen. I have tried clicking and dragging, using the selector thing at the bottom, left-clicking, right-clicking, etc. and have not been able to get any of the objects to move to the screen. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? If someone could step me thru just putting 1 item on the screen, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Regards,

Martin
PB
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: Selecting Objects

Post by PB »

> If someone could step me thru just putting 1 item on the screen, it
> would be appreciated.

(1) Run VisualDesigner.exe.
(2) Click a gadget on the 'One' tab in the 'PureBasic Visual Designer' window.
(3) Move your mouse so it's positioned over the 'New Window (0)' window.
(4) Click and hold the left mouse button down, then drag out a square.
(5) Release the left mouse button when square is the desired size.
(6) To create another gadget, repeat steps (2)-(5).

If this doesn't work for you, then I don't know what's wrong.
AussiePup
User
User

Post by AussiePup »

Thank you so much. The way you described worked. I was unable to find anywhere in the docs to click on the text box and expand a window AFTER you click on a control. I guess they assume you are a Windows programmer and understand the methodology. I must seem like a real dummy but I assure you that I have been programming for over 20 years but in the DOS/Clipper world.

I am finally entering the Windows world, albeit kicking and screaming (heavy on the screaming). I purchased PB Friday to be able to handle long filenames in console mode for a specific purpose. It does exactly what I need. Liking it so much I thought I'd give the GUI a try. That's where I ran into trouble.

Again, thanks for clarifying this for me.
:D
Regards,

Martin
PB
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by PB »

> thanks for clarifying this for me

No problem, and welcome to the PureBasic/Windows community! :D
Karbon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Off topic

Post by Karbon »

Clipper!!

A few years back I had the pleasure of converting a clipper program into a web based app (if you can imagine..). I enjoyed the language quite a bit but had never heard anyone mention it until now!

Someone told me that a software company is still developing it -- don't remember which one though..
-Mitchell
Check out kBilling for all your billing software needs!
http://www.k-billing.com
Code Signing / Authenticode Certificates (Get rid of those Unknown Publisher warnings!)
http://codesigning.ksoftware.net
AussiePup
User
User

Clipper

Post by AussiePup »

I still make my living supporting my legacy Clipper apps! The amazing thing is that I have 3 Fortune 500 clients still using my app. I notice you're in KY. I have a lot of family in Ashland and spent a lot of time there as a kid.
Regards,

Martin
Karbon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Karbon »

No kidding? I'm sitting in Ashland right now :-)
-Mitchell
Check out kBilling for all your billing software needs!
http://www.k-billing.com
Code Signing / Authenticode Certificates (Get rid of those Unknown Publisher warnings!)
http://codesigning.ksoftware.net
AussiePup
User
User

Post by AussiePup »

Mitch,

My Grandma lived at 2416 Hilton Ave. My uncle Don owned Don's Men's Shop. My best friends were Johnny Justice and Jim Bob Underwood. Ever heard of them? Send me an email so we don't clutter up the forum msgs
Regards,

Martin
ricardo
Addict
Addict

Re: Clipper

Post by ricardo »

@AussiePup

Welcome!!

Which kind of app did you develop in Clipper?
ARGENTINA WORLD CHAMPION
AussiePup
User
User

Post by AussiePup »

Ricardo,

There are many. I have one that is used for recruiting health care professionals, another that tracks adverse drug reactions for the animal pharmeceutical industry and does the FDA reporting on Form 1932, several that are for telemarketing and a number of HR type applications. My first commercial app was for a diamond manufacturer based in Antwerp. That was in 1980 and used an Apple II with a pair of Shugart 851 8 inch floppy drives!
Regards,

Martin