Show selected numbers as grouped digits

Working on new editor enhancements?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Show selected numbers as grouped digits

Post by BarryG »

You know how selecting text in the IDE shows the number of characters selected in the Status Bar of the IDE? Well, what if when the selection is numerical only, that the number is also shown with the system's thousands separator included? Like in the below mock-up. That way you can double-click any large number in your code to see it "expanded" in the Status Bar, making it easy to quickly read the number in a friendlier format without needing to count all the zeros or the thousands places. This should be an extremely trivial addition to the IDE, and I would add it myself if I could work out how to do it.

[Edit] The selected number could also be shown in both Dec or Hex values (opposite of what's selected), which would be useful.

davido
Addict
Addict

Re: Show selected numbers as grouped digits

Post by davido »

@BarryG,
I've always found it a pain to read large numbers quickly and of course accurately.
So I'm all in favour of your suggestion, after all computers are designed to make things easier.

+1
DE AA EB
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Re: Show selected numbers as grouped digits

Post by Tenaja »

+1!

This would perfectly complement (for old, existing code) the recent request to allow underscore character in numbers.
:D