SpiderForms: A visual Form Designer for Spider\Pure Basic

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Sharbaf
New User
New User

SpiderForms: A visual Form Designer for Spider\Pure Basic

Post by Sharbaf »

Hello All,
First, pardon me for posting something that is not related directly to Pure Basic, but I'll talk about the reasons in following lines.

Here's "Spider Forms" , a visual form editor for Spider Basic which you might be familiar with. It allows the user to design the form, drop the gadgets around and adjust their properties. Then it generates SB code which you may run and test immediately or save to disk.

http://www.shahramsharbaf.ir/sf/

Please note that this beta version is in early stages of development. The reason I'm sharing it with you is to check If it really could be useful at all, so then I may put more time and energy behind it. Currently it supports 10 Gadgets [mostly GUI related ones] and plans are to add multi form support [which in fact is already implemented but still too buggy ,so disabled] , An action creator to generate events code, custom Gadgets and more.

The reasons I'm posting something about spider basic here in pure basic forums are:
1) for some unknown reason i can't register in their forum and activation emails don't arrive. I had no other place to find potential users to try Spider Forms.

2) I read that Spider Basic and Pure Basic syntax and language formats are so similar and the same code can be used between them. So i thought you guys might be interested to try my effort. I want Spider Forms to support Pure Basic too. It's already planned.

Sorry for long rant. There's a discussion board in link above. I would like to hear your feedback and suggestion over there, in order to keep the privacy of pure basic forums. Mercy!

Regards,
Shahram
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: SpiderForms: A visual Form Designer for Spider\Pure Basi

Post by Paul »

Can a Moderator please move this to either "Announcements" or "Applications - Feedback and Discussion"
Image Image
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

One topic is enough. People will seee it. I use “active topics” listing all the time.

Nice project. See PB support is planned too. Would do that simultaneously because its hard to retrofit things and target audience is larger. That said, hard to get seen and get momentum. Need polish and some luck for that. What programming language did you use?
Sharbaf
New User
New User

Post by Sharbaf »

Thank you Rinzwind for your comments. Sorry for duplicated posts. My mistake!

My main focus at the moment is on Spider Basic support and then Pure Basic, cause as far as i know SB does not have any visual editor right now. I also see web applications as the future of programming so I feel it worth investing on that. Applications for web browsers bypass many hard and complicated issues like Device hardware & OS types. One code for All.

I also see pure basic as a large community and market for such tool. but as you said, harder to be seen and kick off. But due to syntax and format similarities between two, I'm gonna include code export support for PB anyway. The hard part was coding designer's interface and functionality. Once it's done, it can export to any format and language you want.

I'm developing it on VB6. [yeah, old school :) ]
VB6_to_PBx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by VB6_to_PBx »

very nice Spider Basic Form Designer so far !

PureBasic .... making tiny electrons do what you want !

"With every mistake we must surely be learning" - George Harrison
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Paul »

Sharbaf wrote:Thank you Rinzwind for your comments. Sorry for duplicated posts. My mistake!
The request was made to move this to the appropriate forum section because this section is specifically for "The PureBasic Form Designer", not 3rd party apps.

Sharbaf wrote:My main focus at the moment is on Spider Basic support and then Pure Basic, cause as far as i know SB does not have any visual editor right now.

PureVision supports both PureBasic and SpiderBasic so "yes" there is a visual editor available. Others have also managed to make use of the built in editor if you looks for hints on the SpiderBasic forum.
Image Image
Sharbaf
New User
New User

Post by Sharbaf »

@VB6_to_PBx Thank you for trying it! Please note that this is a very early beta version and may have bugs. It's just a proof of concept.

@Paul Thanx for comments. a) Plz feel free to move this post anywhere or even remove it if needed. doesn't hurt anyone. b) Benz & BMW made (and still make) some of the best cars ever, but it didn't stop others to create their own cars. People choose to use which one.
Saki
Addict
Addict

Re: SpiderForms: A visual Form Designer for Spider\Pure Basic

Post by Saki »

You have to buy the PB FormDesigner.
A lot of work goes into it.

Posting your software here was really only the third or fourth best idea imaginable.
You just don't do that.
地球上の平和
Sharbaf
New User
New User

Post by Sharbaf »

@Saki Thanx for your comment. Yes, it wasn't the best choice ever but If you read my original post, you get why I did that. And my software won't be free too when it's done and released. It's a complete different product than PB Form designer which i respect both it and its developers.

I think I better find a way to sign up in spider basic forum and leave this forum in respect of its privacy. Sorry guys for any inconvenience.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Keep us updated. Im for one wanting a better form designer/integration. The buildin one is basic at best and misses uhm basic things ;) Then again, quite a few of these kind of projects passed by silently without a final complete and stable release. Its harder than it seems.
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

There is a saying that goes : "You can do everything better".

But then you have to do it and finish the job.

Many people have tried their hand at form designer.
Primarily it does not seem to be very difficult.

However, the amount of work is enormous and it quickly arises the question whether it is worthwhile to work constantly on it.

At some point it begins to annoy, because the interest is manageable and if you want to sell it is mostly almost nothing to earn with it.

The problem is to finish the work and to create something that is better than the existing one.
Then it must also be something that everyone wants, whether free or for paid.
地球上の平和
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Saki wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 am There is a saying that goes : "You can do everything better".

But then you have to do it and finish the job.

Many people have tried their hand at form designer.
I think you are right; there is a new form designer announced here every few months. If only 10 percent of those people would have contributed to an older one with shared code, we probably would have a choice of many good ones by now.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

I fully agree with your comments and I think as you wrote Saki
However, I'm coming (I'm trying), guys, with some things that I hope will be nice enough
I still have a few things to do but I'm on my way to finish...
Sharbaf
New User
New User

Post by Sharbaf »

Nice discussion and useful hints. mercy everyone. Evolution doesn't stop and we all always look for better.

I repeat that my main concern is Spider Basic and I do not want to walk in PB form designer's shoes.

And yeah, it has to be done properly and finished so it could be called a real product. I began this as a simple editor tool for my own projects, and knowing how hard and Time\Energy taking the development is, i needed to get some feedback to make final decision. Now I know my path. :)

By the way i finally managed to sign up at SB forums and i'll update over there. my id is Pbyte.

Cheers.
Shahram