Landlubber (Mini-Roguelike)

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
diceman
User
User

Landlubber (Mini-Roguelike)

Post by diceman »

Ahoy brave Buccaneers! :-)
Roughly 2 weeks ago I attended a local GameJam, where in the course of 10 hours I've managed to program a very basic Roguelike in PureBasic. In the days to follow I've further tweaked my game, added features, striving to make it a more complete experience, that's actually fun to play. Even if it's pretty random and not very deep, it's still my very 1st released Roguelike and I'm pretty damn proud I made it that far. It has a certain arcade-y feel to it, not to be taken too seriously. And I'm no big artist, so please don't ask me for better graphics, because I can't provide you with that, sorry.
All Audio has been downloaded from freeSound.org.
But I'd be very happy if you try it out and give me feedback, so I can improve on the concept, and make my next game even better.

--> check below for most recent Download Link!

Story:
You're a mighty Pirate on "Treasure Cove Island", who's out on an adventure to find as much Booty as you can carry. There's Monsters all around, you have to mind starvation, and at the end of the day, if you didn't manage to find more than half of all Doubloons lying around on each map, your ungrateful crew will make you dance the Hempen Jig.
Maps are created randomly, and will get bigger and bigger and harder and harder to navigate.

Gameplay:
Have and eye out on your Stamina (the orange bar in the bottom right corner), once it's depleted, you'll die of starvation. You'll lose Stamina by walking around, by unsuccessfully attacking, and Monsters in the vicinity will also cause you to lose Stamina faster. On some Tilesets, for example the Dungeon, you'll lose Stamina faster than on other Tilesets.
You also die when you lose your last Skull.
When you choose to enter the Exit Tile on each map, be sure that you've collected more than half of all Doubloons. The amount of Doubloons is random, mostly it's a lot, but it can also be just a few.
Try to get to the Exit while wearing a Cutlass, that Awesome Pirate Wear and a Torch, to gain a hefty "Swashbuckler-Bonus". :-)

How to Play:
- After starting the game, you have to enter a worthy Pirate Name
- You only need the ARROW-Keys to navigate
- To pick up Items, to fight, and to interact with the world, just move on the respective tile
- Press RETURN-Key to validate Message Boxes
- Holding the SPACE-Key displays a Highscore-List
- ESC closes the game and auto-creates a SaveGame-File
- When you restart the game, and there's an existing SaveGame-File, the game will continue
- When you die, your name will be added to the Highscore-List, and your SaveGame-File deleted (that's Roguelife ...)

Items:
- Doubloon: You need to collect more than half of all Doubloons on each map, or your crew will mutiny.
- Skull: Gain an extra Life (Maximum of 7). Skulls can also be dropped by defeated Monsters. There's a tiny chance to also regenerate a large amount of Stamina, when picking it up. When you have already 7 Skulls, you'll gain a portion of Stamina instead.
- Cutlass: As long as you're holding a weapon, you'll win every fight. Without a weapon, you only have a Chance to win. Can break in combat.
- Awesome Pirate Wear: As long as you're wearing your Awesome Pirate Wear, you'll resist damage in fights. Otherwise you only have a Chance to resist damage. Can be destroyed in combat.
- Bottle 'o Rum: Regenerate a portion of Stamina
- Raw Meat: Regenerate a larger portion of Stamina (can only be dropped by Monsters)
- Torch: Greatly increases your view range (it can't burn out, but can be destroyed in combat)
- Shovel/Key: You need these items to open the Exit Tile
- Treasure Pile: Pick it up for a large amount of Points
Last edited by diceman on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Now these points of data make a beautiful line,
And we're out of Beta, we're releasing on time.
RSBasic

Re: Landlubbers (Mini-Roguelike)

Post by RSBasic »

Nice game Image
diceman
User
User

Post by diceman »

Change Log (v.1.98)
- Nerfed the chance for Monsters dropping (and initially spawned) Skulls
- Made Stamina more of an issue (Stamina-Decay is no longer dependent on Monsters in the vicinity, but how many are left on the whole map. If you kill enough, Stamina-Decay will go down (most of the time it's still a better tactic, though, to get to the exit as fast as possible, as unsuccessfully attacking and walking around will still deplete your Stamina)
- Starting the game will prompt you with two Game-Modes to choose from
- Added a Survival-Mode ("Dance the Hempen Jig"). You'll start with only 1 life, your Chances in Combat are a bit better, but in general everything is harder; don't play this if you don't like getting get screwed by RNG! Both Game-Modes have their seperate Score-List, and also seperate Save-Files!
- After Game Over, or exiting the game via ESC-Button, you'll find yourself back in the Game-Mode Menu
- Added a sad Music Loop for Game-Over
- The Score-List is alled "Jacob's Ladder", and the current Highscore displayed is named "Crows Nest"
- When you die, you will get an "Game Over"-Bonus, based on a percentage how many Coins and Treasures you've found on the current Map, and how many Monsters you've killed
- Combat is now more fun, thanks to Screen Shake, a Splat Effects, and a scary Bite-Sound for Monsters.
- The "damage effect" (everything turns red) when you're getting hit, remains a bit longer, so it's more noticable that you've received damage.
- When you die, the Game Over-Text will tell you how you've died (either from Exhaustion or in Combat).
- A fourth Tileset, the "Crypt", has been added. The Crypt is like a 2nd floor to the dungeon, and there's a chance, when exiting the dungeon, that you're entering a Crypt instead. Crypts are more frequent in Survival-Mode.
Last edited by diceman on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi diceman,

Landlubbers was fun to play; you definitely have a talent for story telling.

Cheers :!:
diceman
User
User

Post by diceman »

Lol, I imagined all kinds of stuff being said about "Landlubbers", an achievment in Story Telling wasn't one of them. :D
But thank you, good sir, for downloading and playing my humble little random game, and I'm rather excited that you liked it.
I will continuously strive to improve on the experience!

• Added a "How to Play"-Textfile to the main folder.
• Game is compiled in 32-Bit-Mode, so it'll run on decade old potatoes as well.
• Size of the Map is determined by set amount of cells; previously this number has been continuously increased (somewhat randomly seeded) with each Level - since latest Update, however, every Tileset has their own set of cells, whose number will only be increased when the respective Tileset is being called into action.
• "Close Window"-Button will work consistently: it will always force a shutdown of the program, no SaveGame-File will be created! It is therefore advisable to quit the current session via ESCAPE-Key before closing the game. Pressing ESCAPE in the Main Menu will also shutdown the program (no worries, your game has already been saved).
• An FYI-Message has been added to the start of the program, advising you to always leave the current game via ESCAPE-Key, before closing the program.
• Fixed some rather serious bugs with Scores not being saved properly and all kinds of data being overwritten; this behavior was introduced when I gave the ability to continue playing after Game-Over.
• Added Lifetime-Achievements to the Game: the game will now track the total amount of Coins and Treasure collected, how many Monsters you've killed, and how often you've died.
• Added some Sounds
• Tweaked the amount of points being given by various events in the Game; the main idea was, to not make the score rise as inflationary. Well, it still sort of does, but not as strong as before.
• Made "Dance the Hempen Jig"-Mode about 5% harder. :-)
• Two new "rare" Items (you won't see them often):
• The "Full Equip"-Item will equip you with both the Cutlass and the Awesome Pirate Wear, respectively with the piece you're missing.
• The "Barrel 'o Rum" let's you drink 3 whole gulps of Rum
• Occasionally, digging for treasure can now result in not finding anything; you might get lucky, though, and dig up one of them new rare Items.
Last edited by diceman on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
diceman
User
User

Re: Landlubber (Mini-Roguelike)

Post by diceman »

Huge update is up for testing ... :)
Unfortunately there's no Change-Log, since so much has changed since last Version, I found it rather impossible to reasonably document everything.
A "How to Play"-Textfile is included, containing everything you need to know in order to survive.
Don't feel intimidated by the term "Roguelike", this one's not very complex and can be played casually.
You only need the ARROW-Keys and the SPACEBAR; the latter has 2 functions: just tipping it will equip the next best Weapon, and holding it will drop a currently equipped Protective Item (Pirate Gear & Hook).
The current version is only playable on 64-Bit systems, but I can make a 32-Bit version available; no problem. :)

Features:
- Fast and intuitive Gameplay
- Procedurally generated Maps
- Tilebased Retro-Graphics (16 Colors)
- Sounds & Music
- Highscore-List
- 4 Tilesets
- 8 Items (4 of these may be equipped)
- 5 Monsters
- Main Menu
- 4 Slots for automatically generated Savegames

DOWNLOAD v2.95 (Uploadfiles.io)

diceman
User
User

Post by diceman »

Making progress with my game, never would've dreamed that from a pathetic Mini-GameJam-Project something playable would emerge, lol. :)
Hugely motivated right now, and I've decided that I'm gonna work on that Progression-System after all!
The barebones for a Level-Up-System are in place and up for testing, but mind that there's no consequences for gaining a Level yet, because there's no Skill- Stats-System, duh.
In future times, there still won't be a complex Progression-System for Monsters, I'm deliberately keeping Stats simple and baseline; only the player will be able to improve!
Next in Line will be a Ranged Weapon, the Blunderbuss, whose inclusion will open up tactical options considerably!

Change-Log v2.99
- Fixed Bug in processActorTimer() (> changed to >=) resulting in Monsters standing idle for too long
- Monster in Flee-Mode move every turn
- Slightly buffed the chance for Monsters to lose "Guard"-mode
- More open and diverse Design in Map-Creation (less restrictive navigation for the player; some Tilesets, e.g. the Underground Passage, will keep their claustrophobic design)
- Architecture will now feature loops!
- Upon spawning, Monsters will keep an initial safety distance (no more DoA-Attacks)
- Removed display of Attack/Defense-Stats (less "busy" design); and with such a simple Combat-System it's just not necessary
- Collected Weapons will be displayed in a row
- Removed the Tots 'o Rum-Counter, since with upcoming fundamental Gameplay changes, it's not needed anymore
- It's no longer necessary to collect a minimum amount of Tots 'o Rum on each Map!
- Adjusted narrative bits to reflect current Gameplay changes
- New Level-Up-Mechanic (without consequence, though): collecting Tots 'o Rum will grant XP, so does defeating Monsters in Combat (more dangerous Monsters will give more XP)
- Instead of the Stage-Index a thematic Location-Name will be displayed
- The Stage-Index continues to exist internally, and is still relevant for static Point-Calculation.
- Current Player-Level is displayed in top right corner
- From now on, the current version number will be saved within the Highscore-File; thus it's possible for me, should I change something within the Score-File-System, to include an Auto-Patch-function to keep things up to date. With future updates, Highscore-Achievements will remain valid!
- Edited the "How to Play"-Textfile to reflect recent Gameplay changes

Download v2.99 (Uploadfiles.io)

diceman
User
User

Post by diceman »

Now the Island-Tileset actually looks like an Island ... :)

Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

diceman wrote:Now the Island-Tileset actually looks like an Island ... :)

Looks good, i especially like the flag (but it cuts one pixel to much) :D
diceman
User
User

Post by diceman »

Congratulations, you've earned yourself a dedicated Thank You in the next Patch-Notes. :lol: 8)
Wait, don't tell me yet, let's see if I notice which Pixel is off ...

And I was like: "16x16 Tiles, oh that's easy."
Well, it's certainly easier than creating a good-looking full-sized Sprite, but on the contrary you start to notice every little Pixel that's off ...