Presenting Brewer's Aid

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
tikidays
User
User

Presenting Brewer's Aid

Post by tikidays »

Kia Ora!

Wanted to share my very first application after discovering Purebasic back in November last year. Very much enjoying Purebasic and it gave me my programming bug back. :D

The app is called Brewer's Aid. I am still testing it and ironing out some bugs, it looks pretty in MacOS, and once released I will work on the Windows version, this will need a little work to tidy up the GUI where MacOS uses transparency natively, it appears windows doesn't.

A new simple tool for the beginner or intermediate all grain home brewer. Brewer's Aid will allow you to create your brew recipe in a easy chronological order of tasks. You can set alarms at each step and when you start the brew, Brewer's Aid will count down and alert you to the next task in your All Grain or Extract brewing process. A Pale Ale All Grain example recipe is included. You can also select to use Imperial or Metric units of measure. Enjoy brewing with the peace of mind you haven't missed a step.

You can view screenshots and details here. https://www.tikidays.co.nz/home/brewer-s-aid
Last edited by tikidays on Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mindphazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Brewer's Aid

Post by Mindphazer »

Hi,
your app looks nice !

Just remove the final point in the URL you gave, or it will lead to a 404 error :mrgreen:
MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro - 16 Gb - MacOS 14 - Iphone 15 Pro Max - iPad at home
...and unfortunately... Windows at work...
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Brewer's Aid

Post by idle »

cheers
tikidays
User
User

Re: Presenting Brewer's Aid

Post by tikidays »

So many things are broken compiling for Windows it's a bit overwhelming, for some reason PANELGADGET isnt working the same, no GADGETS added to them shows, all the transparency in images are replaced with black, TEXTGADGETS dont support transparency nor do IMAGEGADGETS. This will take weeks to sort out. :shock:
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

Be aware that at least your TextGadget and ImageGadget are caused by Windows itself. TextGadgets generally don't support transparency without subckassing and ownerdrawing. Look at ChrisR's ObjectColor module for a fabulous solution.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
tikidays
User
User

Post by tikidays »

jacdelad wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:31 am Be aware that at least your TextGadget and ImageGadget are caused by Windows itself.
I do understand that, it just means I have to put additional effort it to get it on par with the MacOS build, thanks for the tip with ChrisR's ObjectColor module I will check it out and see if I can rescue the situation.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

We didn't want restrict built in transparency on macOS, but yes usually Windows app doesn't have this, so the easiest is probaly to disable for Windows apps. Having pixel perfect apps accross OS is hard to achieve unless you use an OS independent UI renderer like WebViewGadget().
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

jacdelad wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:31 am Be aware that at least your TextGadget and ImageGadget are caused by Windows itself. TextGadgets generally don't support transparency without subckassing and ownerdrawing. Look at ChrisR's ObjectColor module for a fabulous solution.
Thanks a lot jacdelad to show it :)
But if you don't mind, it's probably better to use the last one ObjectTheme, rather than ObjectColor, ObjectTheme is more accomplished, customizable and it performs better.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Fred wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:10 am We didn't want restrict built in transparency on macOS, but yes usually Windows app doesn't have this, so the easiest is probaly to disable for Windows apps. Having pixel perfect apps accross OS is hard to achieve unless you use an OS independent UI renderer like WebViewGadget().
I haven't had a chance to play with WebViewGadget() yet.
Does anyone have a little more complete example than the one shared for 6.10 beta1 (string, radio, checkbox..), such as a Bootstrap example, with html, css and JavaScript? To give us a good starting point.
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

ChrisR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 pm Thanks a lot jacdelad to show it :)
But if you don't mind, it's probably better to use the last one ObjectTheme, rather than ObjectColor, ObjectTheme is more accomplished, customizable and it performs better.
Yes, yes, of course I meant ObjectTheme. It's great, but unfortunately limited to windows, which is not ChrisR's fault.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Cheers :) and by the way Brewer'aid looks great, I hope you'll be able to port it to Windows.