Support for ARM-Linux

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Support for ARM-Linux

Post by holzhacker »

Greetings everyone,

Code: Select all

There is no good compiling languages for those system as I know (except standard C/C++), so PB might take a nice place on those mini-PC being introduced to them. Just noticed there is some interest here on forum and other programming resources, so it might be a good direction of PureBasic expansion.
I have projects using Raspberry Pi, Banana Pi, and now the Rasperry Zero (mini raspberry $ 5), in my case, the projects that my company and clients require, including Python and Lazarus, we here unfortunately prefer Lazarus. I believe that with the support of Cannonial (Ubuntu) and Microsoft (Windows 10) for the Raspberry Pi 2, a version of PB for this platform and similar (compatible) would be a great revolution for both the platform and for the PB.

I set myself the willingness to donate amounts, or acquire early way more PB license to enable it.

Fred has said he would not support another platform being, however, as we have seen and read in other posts may be that with the market movement things change and can support. For Windows10 / ARM believe it is complex and time consuming, but for Linux / ARM think it's not as traumatic as well this support.

If Fred wish or plan future support and want funds to fund I stand willingness to donate or purchase a new license.
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Karl-Uwe Frank wrote:Yes, SpiderBasic is somewhat a different way of programming JavaScript, somehow a bit like their competitor Xojo offers.
SpiderBasic is only for the client side so it's different to Xojo's web apps. Having said that Xojo's web apps send every interesting client event on a round trip to the server and back so imo it's a horrible kludge, a SpiderBasic front end with a PureBasic back end would likely be a much better option for any project.

Lunasole wrote:I meant "mini-PC trend", all those Raspberry PI and similar stuff from China allowing huge amount of experiments with custom hardware, etc. It is all desktop systems, just using ARM to be cheap & minimalistic. I would compare those mini-PC with old computers from 80x, they are much more open to experiments than classic x86 PCs. Those who talked me about ARM compiler were talking about such systems.

There is no good compiling languages for those system as I know (except standard C/C++)
How about Genie/Vala?

holzhacker wrote:If Fred wish or plan future support and want funds to fund I stand willingness to donate or purchase a new license.
I would also pay for a separate license for ARM support. I think Fantaisie are too generous with the PB license and if they're going to introduce ARM support perhaps it should be part of a PB Pro version with a licensing model more like SpiderBasic's.
captain_skank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by captain_skank »

the.weavster wrote:I would also pay for a separate license for ARM support. I think Fantaisie are too generous with the PB license and if they're going to introduce ARM support perhaps it should be part of a PB Pro version with a licensing model more like SpiderBasic's.
+1

Annual renewals for a pro version would be a good idea imho
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

There is one upcoming very interesting device for PureBasic on Win/Linux perhaps

LattePanda - A £45 Win10 Computer For Everything

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... escription

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

And surprisingly there are already some Super-Mini-PC available

with preinstalled full Windows 8.1 Bing Version
http://www.orbsmart.com/products/orbsmart-aw-02/

and as a little black box with preinstalled full Windows 8.1 (Windows 10 updateable)
http://www.orbsmart.com/products/orbsmart-aw-05/

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
macros
User
User

Post by macros »

Thank you very much for these suggestions,

although there are still big disadvantages of these boards:
Latte Panda:
- Requires to use Arduino for accessing GPIO (so again have to use something else than PB)
- No info about power consumption (I would guess, much higher than Raspberry)
I will take a look at it when it goes on regular sale

The Orbsmart devices are of no use for me:
- No GPIO Ports and general problems attaching any devices to the stick one
- No idea if its even possible to install an alternate OS
- Price equal to about 5 Raspberrys

Intels Edison also sound interesting,
but I have some doubts about it too.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... dison.html
- No easily exchangeable OS on MicroSD
- Price a bit higher than Raspberry

But yes, these products give me hope, that x68 compatible boards which can compete with the raspberry are only a few years away.
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

macros wrote:But yes, these products give me hope, that x68 compatible boards which can compete with the raspberry are only a few years away.
Depending on the kind of project to realise there is just one Compute-Stick that comes with Linux preinstalled

Intel Compute Stick STCK1A8LFCR (Linux)

And as you are located in Germany here is a link
http://www.atelco.de/Intel/230952/Intel ... 29.article

This is the potential one I might realise my prototype with.

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Karl-Uwe Frank wrote:And surprisingly there are already some Super-Mini-PC available

That looks like a rebadged MeegoPad to me.
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

the.weavster wrote:
Karl-Uwe Frank wrote:And surprisingly there are already some Super-Mini-PC available

That looks like a rebadged MeegoPad to me.
Holly cow, the Meegopad has more RAM and Audio-Out and is far cheeper Meegopad T02 Ubuntu Linux Version 2GB RAM 32GB Intel Atom Z3735F

Thanks for mentioning.

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

I'm simply amazed how many ARM/Cortex boards and solutions existing meanwhile. This is by far the smallest ready to use mini-computer I came across so far CuBox-i

And they offer a bunch of Linux distros ready to install Ignition Installer

I suppose PureBasic for ARM/Cortex would offer a great potential for develpers in this exploding market.

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by holzhacker »

Dear, just to report my experience with exagear,

I'm testing here exagear to run my apps made in PureBasic (Linux 32) in the Raspberry Pi 2 so far this satisfactory, but ...

1) Really exagear is much faster than the qemu in raspberry.

2) And yes ... applications compiled in Lazarus (blargghhh) performs better than the applications made in PureBasic that are running through exagear.

3) If the PB compiled natively for ARM / Linux I believe would improve even more ...
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

Just of note, is there any chance we might get an ARM cross-compiler so that we don't need to push code to a build server for this?
langinagel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by langinagel »

Maybe let's detail a bit this request:

What we (those who were in this thread in favour for the request) require at first hand:
FASMARM support with the following libraries (taken from the list in help) on arm-linux, console-based pbcompiler:
-Console
-File
-Filesystem
-Array
-List
-Math
-MAP
-date
-Memory
-process
-system
-library
-debugger

...and also desireable (maybe later):
-cipher
-packer
-database
-serialport
-network
-HTTP
-FTP
-Mail
-thread
-xml

In this way we would be able to set up a few console-based programs and maybe reach some GUI-libraries as well.
Should be enough for the first shot(no GFU[at first], definitively neither Sprite nor 3D).

Could we (see above) agree that we would be content to get such an environment for about 100€?

Agreements, disagreements, change requests, comments - all welcome.

Greetings
LN
https://www.doerpsoft.org

Boost. Work. Efficiency.
Golfy
User
User

Post by Golfy »

I've more and more requests from customers on my home automation program done with Purebasic : ARM compatibility
http://golfy.olympe.in/Teo-Tea/

I've to find a way to use Purebasic with third party or to leave Purebasic (going to FreePascal ? :cry: )
Fred... please give us a chance to test an ARM compiler :wink:
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

This is what Fred had to say: Interview 2015
See Question 51
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.