Support for ARM-Linux

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Re: Support for ARM-Linux

Post by heartbone »

fsw wrote:
heartbone wrote: Assuming that Google really is not the real life Skynet, (something that I am not yet ready to do),

Cannot say for sure. (at this point in time)

However, we humans are really good at transforming something good into something bad.
Therefore the real question should not be IF, but WHEN will they become Skynet. :mrgreen:
heartbone wrote: would these pexes be able to process the PB networking commands?
Generally speaking, yes.
However, it would also depend on Spiderbasic's implementation. :shock:
Thank you.
Keep it BASIC.
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by holzhacker »

Just to reheat the hell!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... ef=popular

Another "SUPER" mini computer running ARM Linux.
Meet the CHIP, the $ 9 computer.
#PERFECT For many services and products that my company produces, only lacked the PureBasic it. ; (

Navigating the Kickstarter you find other MINI initiatives computers including multiple sensors.

PB + ARM = My dream!

Posted on: http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... =3&t=61574
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
Tuireann
User
User

Post by Tuireann »

If you really had your heart set on using PB on a RasPi or anything ARM and Linux you could always check out my little open source project http://www.epicbasic.org/. I have been working on it for several months but it's still pretty simple and the documentation is sparse at best. It takes and converts a PB-like BASIC into standard C++11 and links and compiles your program. So far it has 12 libraries including Console, File, FileSystem, Network, Regular Expression, and Threading as well as an embeddable debugger. However it does not do any GUI yet and is probably only suitable for simple projects at this time and currently only supports Linux/OSX/BSD on X86/X86_64/Arm6/Arm7/Sparc(at least as far as being able to test goes). I test every version on the RasPi 2 and Beaglebone so I know they both work perfectly.

Hello World:
http://epicbasic.org/gitweb/?p=Examples ... ml;hb=HEAD

Share-HTTPD2 (Multi-threaded web server):
http://epicbasic.org/gitweb/?p=Examples ... ml;hb=HEAD
langinagel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by langinagel »

Well done Tulreann,

thank you for the link to EPICbasic and your work there, it may help for first programs.

Nevertheless I am more darting to the features of Purebasic offers for applications.
Maybe time will tell who will be faster:
Fred acknowledging the request for ARM-support and redirecting PBC output to FASMARM...

or

Tulreann with support of more and more libraries.

We'll see.
https://www.doerpsoft.org

Boost. Work. Efficiency.
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

Any news so far when/if PureBasic might be available for ARM?

Would be nice to have one programming language for building software for the "Internet of Things" on ARM CPUs and connect them with an App on a Windows/Linux/Mac OS X Desktop/Notebook/Server and perhaps to a SmartPhone/Tablet.

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
langinagel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by langinagel »

No news so far.
It seems that the team is busy enough to maintain Purebasic and Spiderbasic for the 3 Intel-Platforms.

I didn't manage meanwhile to check EPicBasic for feasibility on ARM.

Nevertheless thanks for maintaining interest in this topic.
I am sure a FASMARM-port of PB on Linux would boost the interest for Purebasic.

Greetings
LN
https://www.doerpsoft.org

Boost. Work. Efficiency.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Yea, ARM seems to be perspective platform, many of those whom I told about PureBasic won't use it and were crying about ARM compiler is missing.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

PureBasic is a classic Desktop programming system (no mobiles and tablets),
and ARM processors are used more for mobiles and IOT.
Windows and MacOSX Desktop/Workstations both use Intel-compatible x64 processors -
most of the time. x86-only processors are not produced for Desktops anymore, as far as I know.
PB covers 99% of Desktop computers with this strategy, and additionally the 1% of x86/x64 Linux Desktops.

Fair enough, isn't it?
macros
User
User

Post by macros »

I would still love to see PureBasic on ARM,
especially ARM v7 (Raspberry Pi 2, N900 and many more)

Therefore I hereby pledge to spend 150€ to the Purebasic Team for ARM v7 Linux support.

40€ if basic libraries run, including networking and serialport
30€ for a working IDE
30€ for working Threads, Cipher
another 50€ If I get the impression,most things work (which may be the case after point two and three, no need for 3D on ARM from my side)

This bounty is targeted at PureBasic itself. While I appreciate efforts like EPiCBasic, I want to have the support natively inside PB.

You are free to PM me if there are developments. I only visit the forum occasionally.

Reasoning, why I want PB on ARM:
I would be able to create Software running on my Linux Phones.
I would be able to program Raspberrys for all kind of things.
I could create tinier things for the company.
It would be great!
I can do all these these today, but I miss PureBasic every minute I have to deal with Pythons lack of speed and Threads, Cs cryptic error messages, JAVAs memory consumption and similar things.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

Money doesn't seem to help here. Money can't influence the direction of PureBasic,
otherwise we would have collected for more Object-Oriented Programming support.
macros
User
User

Post by macros »

Well if the money has no effect its ok with me.
If they implement it anyway, I spend 150€ for developing the programming language I love.
if they don't implement it, I have lost nothing.

Regarding OOP: I do not remember an fundraiser for it, although I may have missed it.
Also its not that important for me. The only thing I really miss regarding OOP in PureBasic is returning structured variables from Procedures.
But there are workarounds and therefore I can live with it.
The workaround for PB on ARM (Qemu) is not usable. You need a huge 32 Bit environment and its still painfully slow.
I even considered buying Exagear for more performance, but as it does not solve the space problem and also because of its ugly licensing I prefer to give my money directly to PB.
Karl-Uwe Frank
User
User

Post by Karl-Uwe Frank »

langinagel wrote:No news so far.
It seems that the team is busy enough to maintain Purebasic and Spiderbasic for the 3 Intel-Platforms.
Yes, SpiderBasic is somewhat a different way of programming JavaScript, somehow a bit like their competitor Xojo offers. It needs to be run in a browser, and perhaps you need a web server. But when it comes to encryption JavaScript is useless.
langinagel wrote:I didn't manage meanwhile to check EPicBasic for feasibility on ARM.
Just took a quick look, but it's to "fresh" and a lot of functionality is missing currently to use it for real projects from my point if view.
langinagel wrote:Nevertheless thanks for maintaining interest in this topic.
I am sure a FASMARM-port of PB on Linux would boost the interest for Purebasic.
As I mentioned Xojo before, they have just released a version for ARMv7 or the Cortex A series. Also IOS is supported. But I didn't try it yet. Over years I have used RealBasic for several projects because until shortly PureBasic was missing some web support I needed. With the new version 5.40 everything is available now. That's one reason why I considered PureBasic as a possible programming language for upcoming projects. My experience with RealBasic/RealStudio in the past was that the generated executable is bloated, huge and and especially for my current encryption software project terribly slow. And if I say terribly slow I mean in comparison regarding a quick test shot it takes about 75 seconds to encrypt a 256MB file (nearly as slow as Java - 113 sec.), while PureBasic only need 30 seconds for the same task (non-optimised ANSI-C 9 sec). On a 100MB file PureBasic is as fast as ANSI-C.

My new project, currently in definition phase, need to connect Desktop/Server machines with mobile devices based on ARM/Cortex. Well, what I need to figure out now is, if its worth waiting for PureBasic to become available for the ARM/Cortex or selecting a different programming language.

Cheers,
Karl-Uwe
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

Some time ago Fred mentioned he was experimenting with LLVM .
If that would be continued, it might be a way to support ARM .
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Danilo wrote:PureBasic is a classic Desktop programming system (no mobiles and tablets),
and ARM processors are used more for mobiles and IOT.
Windows and MacOSX Desktop/Workstations both use Intel-compatible x64 processors -
most of the time. x86-only processors are not produced for Desktops anymore, as far as I know.
PB covers 99% of Desktop computers with this strategy, and additionally the 1% of x86/x64 Linux Desktops.

Fair enough, isn't it?
I meant "mini-PC trend", all those Raspberry PI and similar stuff from China allowing huge amount of experiments with custom hardware, etc. It is all desktop systems, just using ARM to be cheap & minimalistic. I would compare those mini-PC with old computers from 80x, they are much more open to experiments than classic x86 PCs. Those who talked me about ARM compiler were talking about such systems.

There is no good compiling languages for those system as I know (except standard C/C++), so PB might take a nice place on those mini-PC being introduced to them. Just noticed there is some interest here on forum and other programming resources, so it might be a good direction of PureBasic expansion.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Kwai chang caine
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Kwai chang caine »

wilbert wrote:Some time ago Fred mentioned he was experimenting with LLVM .
If that would be continued, it might be a way to support ARM .
That the gods hear you :wink: or just one :lol: :mrgreen:
I have read, but obvioulsy, not understand, how that works :oops: , but apparently it's really amazing :shock:
Perhaps a way for quit JAVA :?
ImageThe happiness is a road...
Not a destination