Support of ARM CPU

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: Support of ARM CPU

Post by BarryG »

Thanks, Kuron and Bitblazer. Your responses have made me understand, and what I have to do for my future.
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

Now ARM processors are used in tablets and laptops with Windows. If PB does not support ARM, you will not be able to develop applications using it. ARM support is very important as in more and more devices with ARM processors. Android is based on Linux, which means that theoretically it will be possible to develop applications on PB.
purenet
User
User

Post by purenet »

Bitblazer wrote:
BarryG wrote:So, I see no reason to get excited by ARM support when it comes to Windows programming? How will PureBasic supporting ARM make a difference to my Windows apps that I'm currently coding?
Desktop use declines - mobile use increases. If the language you use for your desktop app, dies out due to funding problems in the future, you will know what it means to you.
Desktop usage is not going anywhere. There is over 2 billion desktop/laptop computer on the planet. Yes mobile increasing, but not many of new users are realistically able to purchase any app,
also mobile app prices are generally much lower than desktop apps. We have already SpiderBasic for mobile apps.

purenet
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

purenet wrote:We have already SpiderBasic for mobile apps.
On Raspberry PI will it work without a browser?
Will SpiderBasic provide access to GPIO, COM and USB ports?
purenet
User
User

Post by purenet »

User_Russian wrote:Now ARM processors are used in tablets and laptops with Windows. If PB does not support ARM, you will not be able to develop applications using it. ARM support is very important as in more and more devices with ARM processors. Android is based on Linux, which means that theoretically it will be possible to develop applications on PB.
My opinion is that there is very few people who want to buy Windows ARM based computer. Who need a Windows computer which can't run Windows apps (Win32 based 32 and 64 bit)?
Why to invest to that if can buy a real Windows laptop about the same money?
Ok there is some kind of software x86 emulation but this kind of things draining battery and not good in long run. Apple did similar emulation named Rosetta in PowerPC to Intel transition and the performance was usable but slow.
Windows RT (ARM) failed already few years ago and not many developer want to create newer UWP apps (Microsoft Store) which forced Microsoft to focus again on Win32.
I really don't know what will happen, but I have seen more and more news about how UWP is dead and Microsoft store is dead, this means no good for Windows for ARM.
Also no update since 2018 for Windows 10 IoT core (ARM), seems that Microsoft gave up with this too, Linux is too powerful in IoT field.

I agree about importance of ARM support, I only have a big doubt that Microsoft is not a big player in this game. Another OS's on ARM are already strong (Android, iOS, iPadOS, Linux).
Because we have SpiderBasic already for mobile development, then I see PB's ARM support most useful in Linux. Imagine Raspberry, Odroid or any similar computer running
software at native speed (compiled app). Python app is 60-300 times slower than PB app and uses 2-3 times more memory (of course depend on app and programmer skills, but generally the difference is huge).
Also your code is protected with PB if you do business with your app, disassembling compiled app is too much time consuming for most people and need very high skills. Python code is readable as is for anyone.
Speed is also strongly connected to energy consumption. PB is a green solution and helps to save the planet. 8)

I would like to see apps created with PB for ARM running on this kind of devices (NanoPi): :D
https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=282

purenet
purenet
User
User

Post by purenet »

User_Russian wrote:
purenet wrote:We have already SpiderBasic for mobile apps.
On Raspberry PI will it work without a browser?
Will SpiderBasic provide access to GPIO, COM and USB ports?
No and no, but Raspberry PI is not for mobile, I can put it in my pocket but not run in same time. :D
Have to wait for PB for ARM.

purenet
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

purenet wrote:No and no, but Raspberry PI is not for mobile, I can put it in my pocket but not run in same time.
Raspberry PI Zero with a connected powerbank fits in pocket.
purenet
User
User

Post by purenet »

User_Russian wrote:
purenet wrote:No and no, but Raspberry PI is not for mobile, I can put it in my pocket but not run in same time.
Raspberry PI Zero with a connected powerbank fits in pocket.
You are right, I didn't imagine that. :D
langinagel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by langinagel »

My opinion is that there is very few people who want to buy Windows ARM based computer. Who need a Windows computer which can't run Windows apps (Win32 based 32 and 64 bit)?
Who needs a desktop with Word/Excel on ARM when you do have the WHOLE market of ARM driven LINUX embedded systems ???

+1

Purebasic could be going to support embedded systems...and with its easy rapid development features and low footprint it can make a professional difference - given that the low footprint is kept (fingers crossed).
https://www.doerpsoft.org

Boost. Work. Efficiency.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

It is simple.
ARM support expands the market for your PureBasic app.
And this is a HUGE market.
ARM based computers are 1/3rd the cost of Intel/AMD based computers.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
oreopa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by oreopa »

langinagel wrote:Purebasic could be going to support embedded systems...
I'd personally be very very happy with programming RPi in PB, even if that's as far as it goes. That's really cool itself. I just hope that inline assembly would be possible too!
Proud supporter of PB! * Musician * C64/6502 Freak
Joris
Addict
Addict

Post by Joris »

PB on RPi, just great !
Yeah I know, but keep in mind ... Leonardo da Vinci was also an autodidact.
derschutzhund
New User
New User

Post by derschutzhund »

Joris wrote:PB on RPi, just great !
That would be absolutely brilliant!
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

purenet wrote:Python app is 60-300 times slower than PB app and uses 2-3 times more memory
Could you provide some examples demonstrating that?
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

I looked at the potential new targets if we could compile to ARM based machines soon:Surface pro X, Apple MAC's and a lot SBC's like raspberry PI, odroid and others. Obviously we would also need the target OS API support and a compatible execution format. Personally i want to program my next smartwatch with purebasic ;)
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All