Is this 3D with shader ?

Everything related to 3D programming
skinkairewalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this 3D with shader ?

Post by skinkairewalker »

do you think an isometric game like this one below would be 2D or 3D? (I was in doubt if the models are 2D or 3D with shaders)

is it possible to create something like this with purebasic?
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Re: Is this 3D with shader ?

Post by #NULL »

You can't tell this from an image.
It could be bare 2D without any 3D software or hardware.
It could be 2D in a 3D Engine where all the tiles are just 2D on a 3D plane parallel to the screen or camera.
It could be 2D in a 3D Engine where all the tiles are just 2D on a angled isometric 3D plane or the tiles could be billboards (tiles parallel to the screen/camera but positioned on an angled isometric plane).
It could be full 3D with all items being actual 3D objects.
It could be just an image put together in an image manipulation software, never actually 'running' anywhere (but the image software could make use of 3D hardware).

And yes, you can do this in PureBasic. 2D on/in a window/image/canvas, 2D with a screen and sprites (using 3D hardware), or with the 3D library using meshes and whatnot.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

skinkairewalker wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:14 pmis it possible to create something like this with purebasic?
Yes it is possible, but instead of asking if something is possible to do with some software, it would make more sense to ask how long it will take you to achieve a goal. I could probably do that game in excel, but it would take ages because i would have to work against the environment instead of being supported by the environment. Is the required time to finish the game important or dont you mind if it takes so long that you probably drop it anyway?

There are dedicated environments available that make such a project a lot faster to finish, but you probably would have to learn them first.

ps: just look at the enormous amount of games on steam and you know there are some environments which make developing games much faster :D
pps: you could actually check out some of these type of games on steam - isometric games and look into their install folder which dll they use. That would give you a lot of hints on what is useful for you.
ppps: too bad that overcrowd does not have a demo :P
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

Looks 2D to me.
There are way older and more complicated ISO games, this looks rather straight forward.
skinkairewalker wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:14 pm ...
is it possible to create something like this with purebasic?
Of course.