It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Displayed ASCII table
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm 
Addict
Addict

I would suggest that the table could be kept as it is but with additional notes for the characters in the range 128 - 256 designating them as extended ASCII characters and that the characters shown in that range can and do vary between particular definitions.

Something like:

Code:
Character codes in the range 128 to 256 are more properly known as extended ASCII characters and can vary between different character encodings, code pages or definitions.  The printable characters shown in the table above (or below) is according to Windows-1252 (CP-1252) which is a superset of ISO 8859-1, also called ISO Latin-1, in terms of printable characters, but differs from the IANA's ISO-8859-1 by using displayable characters rather than control characters in the 128 to 159 range.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 pm 
Addict
Addict

It's a bot, Demivec. First post, no introduction, strange user name, and "in the ASCII table that is invoked in various places in the help file" is simply not true - there's only one single ASCII table in the help. Happy to be proven wrong by the OP. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:36 pm 
Addict
Addict

Dude, the posting honestly didn't raise any bot suspicions until you mentioned it. :shock: After review of the message's reference to multiple tables I think it is a reasonable error; I also only know of one table. The posting was made 37 minutes after the poster joined which is a bit long for a bot to post a prepared or scripted message but within reason for someone to compose the message above after joining.

My vote is that it is a nonbot (human). I'll forego my welcomes till owen posts again. Notwithstanding the bot/ nonbot/ hobbit :) question I posted what I thought was a worthwhile update to the help file and one I thought about from time to time as I've referenced the ASCII table.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 am 
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Dude wrote:
It's a bot, Demivec. First post, no introduction, strange user name, and "in the ASCII table that is invoked in various places in the help file" is simply not true - there's only one single ASCII table in the help. Happy to be proven wrong by the OP. :)

I don't think it's a bot.
Not everyone introduces himself first, the user name is very normal and the statement "in the ASCII table that is invoked in various places in the help file" is true.
Take for example a look at the help for the Inkey and RawKey commands, both have a link to the ASCII table so it is invoked in various places in the help file.

Especially codes 128-159 are a problem. Strings internally are always unicode and the codes 128-159 don't match the unicode specification.
It might be more useful to have a unicode table instead, even if it would only be for the range 0-591 which covers latin characters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:58 am 
Addict
Addict

wilbert wrote:
I don't think it's a bot.
Not everyone introduces himself first, the user name is very normal and the statement "in the ASCII table that is invoked in various places in the help file" is true.
Take for example a look at the help for the Inkey and RawKey commands, both have a link to the ASCII table so it is invoked in various places in the help file.
+1

wilbert wrote:
It might be more useful to have a unicode table instead, even if it would only be for the range 0-591 which covers all latin characters.
... especially for PB versions newer than 5.46, which don't have an ASCII compilation mode anymore. :-)
Good idea!