Windows 11 Compatibility Issues

Windows specific forum
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 11 Compatibility Issues

Post by C87 »

Windows 11 is due out soon, so I thought I'd check out if my PC and laptop can run it. Apparently not it seems. I would never consider updating Win10 to 11, but would want a new install of WinPro-11 or whatever they will call it. From experience updating any operating system from Microsoft always has the effect of removing the will to live from anyone who attempts it!

So I ran the TPM test :arrow:* and both machines failed. The PC is around 4 years old and the laptop a little younger. On the PC I can retain the processor and replace the motherboard etc and add more memory, but the laptop is not so easy. The PC has an Intel Core i5 3.2GHz x64 with 16GB of Ram, a huge drive and Win10Pro. The laptop, is a slower AMD x64, 16GB Ram but with the somewhat less private and secure Windows10 Home. Windows10 is supported until 2025 and should be OK for a few years beyond that, so no Windows 11 for me it does appear.

The story around the campfire is that Windows will switch to a monthly subscription in the near future. Maybe not with Win11 but it is on the agenda as the preferred method of maintaining growth in OS sales.

Personally I have no intention of becoming a subscriber to Microsoft. So now I have decided that I have little choice but to make the switch to Linux sooner, rather than later.

( :arrow: " for Trusted Platform Module: in the Run box type TPM.msc and run and check. There is also WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi from Microsoft you can install and run )
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Windows 11 Compatibility Issues

Post by Bitblazer »

You can (most likely) disable the TPM 2.0 check - google knows. The process might have to be adapted for the final version. We will see in 2 days.

Anyway - Win10 EoL is 2025. Linux will be lot better by then and the purebasic version 7 or 8 will probably be out by 2025 ;)
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

If you want to look at Windows 11, you can download Windows 11 IoT x64 free. It isn't the full version but it has no need for TPM.
But for a look and a browse, to look at Windows 11 before you buy, more than adequate. I downloaded the Pro version mainly
because it gives more options to switch "features" off than Home does.

I copied a PureBasic program of mine that uses an SQLite backend database. It worked very well as expected. I then installed
PureBasic v5.71 x64 and it went through without raising an error. However, it didn't appear to install all of the examples and
could have missed other stuff. From Examples I compiled and ran OpenGL, FontRegister and DrawingAlpha. They all compiled
and ran just fine. Character and CarPhysic both fell over. Mind you the install routine wasn't designed to work on Win11, so quite
understandable.

Have to say at first sight not impressed with Win11. This was mainly because I do not like the general way that Windows 11
works. (who likes change?) Odd things are annoying. File Explorer for instance, needs a second click to to choose Copy or Paste.
The RightClick dropdown menu from a filename, has an option to open the second, more familiar menu. But maybe that can be
changed?

Also, it does appear that Win11 will require to know more about you. The usual Cortana, Inking etc are there spying away, plus
no doubt a few more that need will need attention once we know about them. But suspect it will be impossible to prevent the
intrusions totally.
What if you want Control Panel? Well you'll need to run a Search to locate it. Or use Run. Or locate it in All Apps. Certainly not
obviously and easily available. I understand that there are planned changes to amend or remove it. Advertising is now a major
part of Windows. Wherever it can MS will place adverts and encouragement to use or look at 365 products. The MS Store is much
more prominent. I wonder if in time more will be hidden from the general user only to "improve our experience" of course.

As we all know, MS is only interested in helping us all..........in its very own altruistic ways of course.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

I'm on the latest developer release and you don't need two clicks to access copy and paste, rename and delete. They aren't menu options but they have their own little icons at the top (sometimes bottom) of the context menu. Once I found those and got used to them they're great. If you click copy, for example, move to another folder and right-click, the only icon you get at the top is paste. So it's intuitive. I like it, and once you get used to it I bet you will too. But yeah, until that turned up (or until I found it!) I was suitably pissed off as well.
BERESHEIT
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Post by infratec »

I think the biggest problem of win11 is ... that it is not running on the most PCs of companies.
And they don't have the money to throw all 'old' PCs in a trashcan.

Maybe this will end in Linux on government/city PCs, bcause they have even less money to replace all PCs.
So I think MS will loose a lot of money in the next years cause of decreasing license fees.

But maybe I'm wrong ...

All the PCs in my home will also not run win11 and I'm also not willing to replace good working equipment.
ar-s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ar-s »

netmaestro wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 pm I'm on the latest developer release and you don't need two clicks to access copy and paste, rename and delete. They aren't menu options but they have their own little icons at the top (sometimes bottom) of the context menu.
I prefer the old system. Same for the taskbar. I hate grouped icon and there is no more the option to ungroup them.
Hopefully, for both, there is some registry hack :

~Ar-S~
My Image Hoster for PB users
My webSite (french) with PB apps : LDVMULTIMEDIA
PB - 3.x / 5.7x / 6 - W11 x64 - Ryzen 7 3700x / #Rpi4

Code: Select all

r3p347 : 7ry : un71l d0n3 = 1