Please change sender address of board mails

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Please change sender address of board mails

Post by NicTheQuick »

Hi Fred,

many users complain about not receiving mails from the german forum. This is because the sender address of the mails is still your gmail-Account. And because of the Sender Policy Framework many mail providers will not accept mails from servers which were not mentioned in the sender domains SPF record. Me and other users told you about this issue many times before. So please change that behavior and use a sender address like board@purebasic.fr or similar or make sure the sender domains SPF records mentions the server the board runs on. Or configure all your gmail credentials in the mail settings of the board so it can use the real gmail servers as proxy.

With this little change you can help me and the other admins and mods to get less trouble with users who can not reset their password or even activate their account.

Thank you.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
RSBasic

Re: Please change sender address of board mails

Post by RSBasic »

+1 :!: :!: :!:
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

Confirmed.
Only by changing the email provider, the guys managed to make my account available for me again.

Whereby I award a medal to the boys for their patience and persistence.
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

I just changed it to board@purebasic.fr for this forum, could you give it a try ?
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

If I e.g. send a PN to me in the German forum, the sender is still: alphasnd[at]gmail.com
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

I only changed it for the english forum yet
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Just changed my own mail address which triggers a new activation mail. Looks good so far. The sender mail address is now board@purebasic.fr and the maill servers name is sd-122841.dedibox.fr which has the same IP address as purebasic.fr which should be fine for most mail providers.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

NicTheQuick sent me a PM and the PM is not classified as spam. Works.
Can you also set the sender email address in the German forum? Thank you
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It's done for all the forums, thanks for noticing it !
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

Thank you :)
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

Thanks!
Et cetera is my worst enemy
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Very cool! Thank you.
hoerbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hoerbie »

Hi,

I would like to add another tip for a misconfiguration. I don't if this now is still the same, but I had this problem around 20 March 2019 when I registered for the SpiderBasic forum.

I waited and waited for the confirmation mail, but it couldn't reach me, because our mail servers are really strict configured to stop a lot of spam. Because this are our own servers I could disable the strict mode for a short time, send the confirmation mail again, so I can use the forum now.

But for example no notifications of threads or private messages can reach me.

The configuration error is, that a lot of mail servers (not only ours) are only accepting mail, if the hostname - the mail server uses/tells to our server in delivering mail - solves to an ip and the reverse lookup of this ip solves to the same hostname, I think this is defined somewhere in RFCs.

But at this server we have:
Received: from 163-172-93-88.rev.poneytelecom.eu (HELO sd-122841.dedibox.fr) (163.172.93.88)
->the mail server is internally configured with the name sd-122841.dedibox.fr
->the mail server runs on the ip 163.172.93.88
->but the inverse lookup for the hostname of the ip is 163-172-93-88.rev.poneytelecom.eu and not sd-122841.dedibox.fr

To solve this you can rename the mailserver to 163-172-93-88.rev.poneytelecom.eu or you can configure the inverse lookup for the ip to sd-122841.dedibox.fr, or your server provider should know about and change this.

Greets, Hoerbie
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

And in addition to that it would be a good idea to add a new TXT entry to the domain purebasic.fr with the following content

Code: Select all

v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:163.172.93.88/32 -all
In pricinple the following should be enough but in the case the purebasic.fr website will move to another server than the board you should also add the IP address of the server who is allowed to send mails in the name of purebasic.fr

Code: Select all

v=spf1 a mx -all
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

I saw several people mentioning notification email problems lately:

http://forums.purebasic.com/german/view ... 56#p352356
Ich erhalte keine EMails. vor einiger Zeit keine um das Paßwort zurück zu setzen, und jetzt die ganze Zeit nicht eine EInzige Benachrichtigungsemail.
Obwohl es eingestellt ist, daß ich sofort per Email benachrichtigt werden.
viewtopic.php?p=536169#p536169
(Hmmm... Why don't I get an email on replies anymore? On a quick look into my forum settings I can't find the reason... Guess I have to take a deeper look in the near future... (Damn, I'm getting lazy :wink:)