It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Command line and VIM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:39 pm 
New User
New User

Hi,

I have been and on and off user of PureBasic and SpiderBasic for a while. Super tools and a great language. I have purchased both and delighted to support development in the small way I can. I am a long time forum lurker and this is my first post.

I want to make a lot more use of PB and SB. The main barrier is I am a long term VIM and command line user and find GUI based editors and workflows to be cumbersome - I hate using a mouse for navigation and code! I am happy to build up a syntax file, error parser and so on for PB but can see no easy way to use the compiler from a command line. Ideally I would like to be able to use it from a makefile or similar and integrate this into my VIM workflow.

My questions are - Is this possible? Is there a command line interface? Has anyone done anything similar I can build on?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Command line and VIM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:51 pm 
Addict
Addict

tucker wrote:
see no easy way to use the compiler from a command line

What about this:

https://www.purebasic.com/documentation/reference/cli_compiler.html

Surely that's what you're after?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:46 pm 
Addict
Addict

Yes, absolutely. I use Cygwin religiously with Bash and Make for all of my larger projects. Works a treat. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:41 pm 
New User
New User

Thanks for replies. I was not really clear what I was asking. Sorry - reading back on my own post I was not clear what I was asking! When I mentioned I had seen no easy way to use it from command line I meant a command within make that I can then parse to populate the location list in VIM. I will shut up, return to lurker mode and do a lot more reading and experimenting! I always know I work better in lurker rather than poster mode 8)

I knew of the basic command line interface. I was interested to know if the error codes/messages and reporting are documented and also if anyone has done any work on a VIM syntax file, tag building and so on? I am more used to C in VIM and use Syntastic, TagBar and the make system within VIM to parse the output of compile/make and was keen to sort something similar for VIM. A list of error codes and the error format from command line compiler is what I was keen to find. The linked OnError Library is more for runtime error handling as used with the debugger but I could not find much documentation on the command line compiler compile time errors.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 pm 
Addict
Addict

tucker wrote:
I will shut up, return to lurker mode and do a lot more reading and experimenting!

What? Nobody was suggesting that you do that. We're here to help! I didn't know if you knew of those options. Maybe someone else can assist with your specific updated questions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm 
New User
New User

I was being slightly "tongue in cheek" :wink:

I find the PB forums super helpful and some great sources of discussions. I should have taken more care to outline the question and original post in more detail.

I appreciate any help. Basically trying to get the command line compiler error messages and error format so I can compile a VIM errorformat to work with PB. Also looking to develop a syntax highlighting file and see if there is any option to get Syntastic to integrate with it. Step at a time - error messages and format first then syntax file.

I suppose I should have made this clearer. Trying to find the relevant information and also wondered if anyone else had started/finished anything similar I could use/build on/use for guidance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:20 am 
Addict
Addict

Why don't you try making it as far as you can and then provide some examples along with an updated question?