SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Post by Little John »

Hi firace,

I wanted to take a closer look at SWV, and to test whether I'd be able to create the GUI of my current project with it.

I downloaded the ZIP archive about half an hour ago. When executing SWV_Demo1.exe (or SWV_Demo1.pb with PB 5.72), I get the following error message:
Note: This is a temporary demo version of the SWV library and expires after 21 days.
and then the program quits.

So it seems to be expired already. Maybe you can provide a recent version of SWV that we can use for testing?
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Little John wrote:Hi firace,

I wanted to take a closer look at SWV, and to test whether I'd be able to create the GUI of my current project with it.

I downloaded the ZIP archive about half an hour ago. When executing SWV_Demo1.exe (or SWV_Demo1.pb with PB 5.72), I get the following error message:
Note: This is a temporary demo version of the SWV library and expires after 21 days.
and then the program quits.

So it seems to be expired already. Maybe you can provide a recent version of SWV that we can use for testing?
Hi Little John,
I have just posted an updated demo. Feel free to try again, and let me know if you have any questions. :)
Josepho
User
User

Post by Josepho »

Hello, i would be interested on this, but im a mac user so i cant test it :S
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

I'm also interested but need cross platform (Win/Lin/Mac). So this does not apply, right? I do daily work on Linux (OpenSUSE). So I can't test :cry:
nicolaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by nicolaus »

Hi,

I'm not able to run the DEMO at all.
If i start the SWV_Demo1.exe, e message shows that this is a demo and will only run for the next 21 days.

If i try the code in PB, with x64 version of PB, i get a memory exception in line

Code: Select all

SWV_New (0, 0, 0, 990, 480,  main_UI_filepath$, WindowID(0

If i try it with x86 version of PV, i get a memory exception in line

Code: Select all

e = WaitWindowEvent()
So the 21 days are from the date where you created the DEMO or for the first use per user?

May be you can upload a new demo?

Thank you
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

@Nicolaus

Thank you for trying it. The demo DLL is valid for 3 weeks from its compilation date. I have just posted a new version that you can try. Note that only a 32-bit version is available right now. I can make a 64-bit version if needed. Don’t hesitate let me know if you encounter any further issues or have suggestions for new features.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

An updated screenshot of a modern window example:

Keep in mind, SWV provides the core modern window infrastructure, but does not cover the design and management of HTML UI controls.

If this scares you and you prefer to reuse your existing UI work and save yourself the time/hassle of revamping the entire interface of your programs, you can use the new hybrid mode, allowing to use classic PB gadgets in a modern window frame:

Note: SWV is based on the Trident rendering engine, which is extremely lightweight, does its job very well for most UI purposes, and is present by default on all Windows versions. But if there are enough interested users to support a Chromium-based version, I will definitely work on it!
Last edited by firace on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Kukulkan wrote:I'm also interested but need cross platform (Win/Lin/Mac). So this does not apply, right? I do daily work on Linux (OpenSUSE). So I can't test :cry:
Sorry, Windows only for now.
fluent
User
User

Post by fluent »

Played around with hybrid mode and created my first "win10-looking" PB app!
Thanks for the great library (and one-on-one support).
Very impressed by the small binary size.