PureBasic Forum
http://forums.purebasic.com/english/

SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB
http://forums.purebasic.com/english/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74582
Page 2 of 5

Author:  firace [ Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A better webview control for building beautiful GUI

@All: Many thanks for your feedback!

@KCC: Yes, to clarify, this control is not intended to be used for typical web browsing. Instead, its main purpose is to enable beautiful HTML/JS based GUIs to be used in PB applications, and make communication between PB and the UI as intuitive as possible.

@srod: Yes, the current version uses the default Windows provided libraries (Trident for rendering, Chakra for JS)

Sorry, the Chromium version will also be Windows only, as I am not knowledgeable enough with the details of Mac and Unix development.

@Kiffi:
Agreed, as a modern browser, Trident is a weak option, but as a rendering engine for modern HTML/JS UIs, it seems to be capable enough for most use cases. :)
The idea will be to offer a choice between Trident and Chromium, which both have benefits and drawbacks. (Trident's main benefit for PB coders being its tiny size and memory footprint, IMHO)
By the way, I'm already familiar with RSBasic's CEF module, which is really awesome. :)

Author:  captain_skank [ Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

I'd buy it now if it was available, as it will make my programs look more modern and negates the need to have custom gadgets/grids as html handles grids really easily.

The biggest issue would be laying out new 'forms' and how much bigger programs would get ( what do we have to include with each program ? )

Author:  Tenaja [ Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

firace wrote:
I will release SWV as a very easy-to-use DLL (for a reasonable price), if enough people are interested.

I've burned by enough closed source dll's that get orphaned that even though I've been looking for something like this, I could only sponsor it if code was shared with me. Gnozal's libraries are perfect examples.

Author:  ar-s [ Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Yo.
It's an amazing good idea !
Working well on PB 5.71 x86 - W10x64

I just changed the second path line to compil it without making an exe.
Code:
main_UI_filepath$ = GetCurrentDirectory()+"gui_ex2_pure.htm" ; GetPathPart(ProgramFilename()) + "gui_ex2_pure.htm"


The PB Gui Possibilities are pretty hot to improve even with canvas (hoppefully they are here) but the possibilities of css/js as bootstrap are wonderfull.

BIG THANKS

Author:  Mijikai [ Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

firace wrote:
...but of course keep in mind that resulting applications will be much much bigger (about 100MB for a simple Hello world application, vs 100KB for the current native version).


The possibilities are great and all but the footprint is just insane.
Im to oldschool so this will never be be a option for me.

Author:  firace [ Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Mijikai wrote:
firace wrote:
...but of course keep in mind that resulting applications will be much much bigger (about 100MB for a simple Hello world application, vs 100KB for the current native version).


The possibilities are great and all but the footprint is just insane.
Im to oldschool so this will never be be a option for me.


I also prefer small non-bloated executables and low memory usage - that's why I will always keep Chromium as an option, not the default engine.

Author:  firace [ Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Demo updated:

- Fixed some bugs
- Added a sortable list example (with file system access)
- Added detection for middle and right mouse buttons.

Check line 79 for an example:

Code:
if FindString(eventdetails$, "Event type: mousedown") and FindString(eventdetails$, "Button: 3")     : beep_(2424,141) : endif  ;; Button 3 is the right mouse button

Author:  firace [ Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Tenaja wrote:
firace wrote:
I will release SWV as a very easy-to-use DLL (for a reasonable price), if enough people are interested.

I've burned by enough closed source dll's that get orphaned that even though I've been looking for something like this, I could only sponsor it if code was shared with me. Gnozal's libraries are perfect examples.


Yes, it's still too early, but when/if the time comes, I will think a little more about pricing matters. Sharing source code with sponsors and top customers could be an option.

Author:  firace [ Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Testing some new UI elements:

Image

Author:  Little John [ Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Cool. 8)

//edit:
https://www.radsix.com/files_swv/SWV_De ... ve_x86.zip
Quote:
Not found on this server

Author:  firace [ Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Little John wrote:
Cool. 8)

//edit:
https://www.radsix.com/files_swv/SWV_De ... ve_x86.zip
Quote:
Not found on this server


Hi, thanks for reporting the issue - Demo download link has been fixed. :)

Author:  Bisonte [ Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

firace wrote:
Little John wrote:
Cool. 8)

//edit:
https://www.radsix.com/files_swv/SWV_De ... ve_x86.zip
Quote:
Not found on this server


Hi, thanks for reporting the issue - Demo download link has been fixed. :)


Sorry, it's not fixed.
Quote:
Not found on this server

Author:  Little John [ Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

Bisonte wrote:
Sorry, it's not fixed.
Quote:
Not found on this server

Confirmed at 6:29 o' clock CET.
Fortunately, half an hour ago I was able to download the ZIP archive. :-)

Author:  hoerbie [ Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

If I use the link on the first post, download works.

Please recognize, that the link was changed, it is no longer ...Demo1... but ...Demo1b...

Author:  firace [ Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SWV: A simple HTML/JS desktop GUI engine for PB

hoerbie wrote:
If I use the link on the first post, download works.

Please recognize, that the link was changed, it is no longer ...Demo1... but ...Demo1b...


I just changed it back to Demo1 - hopefully this should clear up any confusion.

Page 2 of 5 All times are UTC + 1 hour
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/