Hello. New user/learner with a question

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Wolfsong
New User
New User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by Wolfsong »

Hello everyone,

I'm checking out PureBasic and have been looking around for a good, comprehensive beginner's tutorial, video series, book, etc. I came across a book called "purebasic-a-beginners-guide-to-computer-programming". It's in PDF form, and was available free.

I notice it's written for version 4, and PB is now up to version 5.

So, my question is if that book is still relevant/useful to learning PB, despite the version differences?

Thanks!
User avatar
blueb
Addict
Addict
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:15 pm
Location: Cuernavaca, Mexico

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by blueb »

Thanks for joining the forum. You'll find everyone here very willing to help beginners.

The book is an excellent start and will give you a good foundation.

When trying the examples and something doesn't work, simply look into PureBasic's help file in the 'History Section' and look for changes that affect the command you are trying to use.

If you're still stuck.. simply ask!
- It was too lonely at the top.

Current Machine: Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Dual Xeon E5-2670, 64 gigs ram, Geforce GTX 1660 Ti w/6 gigs ram
User avatar
leonhardt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by leonhardt »

I think the official doc(chm) is good enough for beginners to start with. :D
poor English...

PureBasic & Delphi & VBA
User avatar
TI-994A
Addict
Addict
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by TI-994A »

Wolfsong wrote:...my question is if that book is still relevant/useful to learning PB, despite the version differences?
Firstly, welcome to PureBasic. :D

And secondly, the answer to your question is, yes.

The core command syntax and programming structure of the language remains mostly unchanged. The book will serve as a good starting point to get a feel and understanding of PureBasic.

Beyond that, the manual is quite comprehensive, and this forum is quite responsive.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!
User avatar
Demivec
Addict
Addict
Posts: 3840
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Utah, USA

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by Demivec »

Wolfsong wrote:Hello everyone
Welcome.
Wolfsong wrote:I notice it's written for version 4, and PB is now up to version 5.

So, my question is if that book is still relevant/useful to learning PB, despite the version differences?
Here is another book that was written for version 5. There still have been things added and even changed in PureBasic since then but it will get you a little closer to the current version. This second book covers creating a 2D side scrolling game in PureBasic. It introduces the fundamentals of PureBasic also though maybe at a slightly higher level than the book you mentioned. You can find it here.

@Edut: Corrected description of the link to a more advanced book. Thanks BarryG.
Last edited by Demivec on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
BarryG
Addict
Addict
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by BarryG »

Demivec wrote:The author updated it to version 5 a few years ago in 2014. You can find that version here.
The link you gave is for "Programming 2D Scrolling Games", but the OP is asking about "Purebasic: A Beginners Guide to Computer Programming" (Kale's book).
User avatar
chi
Addict
Addict
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 5:31 pm
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by chi »

Check out Guillaume's Beginner Tutorials on YouTube!
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Wolfsong
New User
New User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by Wolfsong »

chi wrote:Check out Guillaume's Beginner Tutorials on YouTube!
I've checked out some of his videos and found they aren't truly beginner-focused. At minimum, he seems to assume programming/syntax knowledge of the viewer.

In watching other of the supposed "beginner" videos, I find that, like many others "teaching" programming, he seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a beginner, and jumps straight into concepts that are beyond beginner level. His intro videos are more just front-loading a bunch of info, with no examples or projects to apply that knowledge to. As I said... seems a lot of people creating "beginner content" make that same mistake. They forget that things which are easy and obvious to them aren't to someone who's brand-new. Too often it seems like they just want to show off how good they are, more than actually teaching anything.

I had the same experience with that book I asked about earlier. It's a lot of front-loading information, with very little application so I can see how/when/why to use it, etc.

Ironically, despite being a 'BASIC' language, I'm finding it hard to find good beginner content for it. Moreso than I have for any other one I've looked into. In fact, I haven't found anything that I could follow and feel like I'm learning and absorbing how to do anything with it.

This is the only language I can't find a "hello world" tutorial for. And that's pretty much a universal, step 1, "go-to" beginner's thing.

So, I don't know. I feel like this language is intended for people who already know how to program. Not so much for someone you'd expect to be looking for a BASIC language to begin with. Or at least I've yet to find anything to make me think otherwise.
User avatar
Saki
Addict
Addict
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 am
Location: Pandora

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by Saki »

地球上の平和
User avatar
TI-994A
Addict
Addict
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by TI-994A »

Wolfsong wrote:...I haven't found anything that I could follow and feel like I'm learning and absorbing how to do anything with it...
This short tutorial attempts to address the fundamentals of PureBasic:

> The Basic Anatomy of a PureBasic Program

It's truly a simple and powerful programming language. Hope it helps in some way.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!
Fred
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 14379
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 4:39 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by Fred »

Wolfsong wrote:
chi wrote:Check out Guillaume's Beginner Tutorials on YouTube!
I've checked out some of his videos and found they aren't truly beginner-focused. At minimum, he seems to assume programming/syntax knowledge of the viewer.

In watching other of the supposed "beginner" videos, I find that, like many others "teaching" programming, he seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a beginner, and jumps straight into concepts that are beyond beginner level. His intro videos are more just front-loading a bunch of info, with no examples or projects to apply that knowledge to. As I said... seems a lot of people creating "beginner content" make that same mistake. They forget that things which are easy and obvious to them aren't to someone who's brand-new. Too often it seems like they just want to show off how good they are, more than actually teaching anything.

I had the same experience with that book I asked about earlier. It's a lot of front-loading information, with very little application so I can see how/when/why to use it, etc.

Ironically, despite being a 'BASIC' language, I'm finding it hard to find good beginner content for it. Moreso than I have for any other one I've looked into. In fact, I haven't found anything that I could follow and feel like I'm learning and absorbing how to do anything with it.

This is the only language I can't find a "hello world" tutorial for. And that's pretty much a universal, step 1, "go-to" beginner's thing.

So, I don't know. I feel like this language is intended for people who already know how to program. Not so much for someone you'd expect to be looking for a BASIC language to begin with. Or at least I've yet to find anything to make me think otherwise.
Did you check the userguid part of the doc ? It starts with very simple concept, step by step

https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... rview.html
User avatar
chi
Addict
Addict
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 5:31 pm
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question

Post by chi »

Another good source learning PB: blueznl's PureBasic Survival Guide
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Post Reply