(Idea) Modern old home computer system with PureBasic

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
OgreVorbis
User
User

(Idea) Modern old home computer system with PureBasic

Post by OgreVorbis »

I've wanted something like this for a long time, but it would be a very large undertaking. I am posting this here because I would love it if PureBasic could somehow be integrated.

So the idea is to make a modern version of a "home computer" or console. There are remakes of these things out there, but that's not what I'm talking about. It would have modern hardware, HD graphics, etc. but the interface would be like an old computer. You turn it on and get basic immediately. It would have four modes switchable by function keys. Command line mode. PureBasic mode. Sprite editor mode and tracker mode (for audio). It would be a single tasking operating system, but with task switching. Maybe it could even be in a ROM. Actually, yes, the whole system is in a ROM, but the user prefs get stored on SD card. The idea is that PB is running right on the bare metal. It compiles directly into the assembly language for the machine. The user programs and data would be stored on SD card. It would have a VGA or HDMI port, PS/2 mouse, serial and it would be built into the keyboard like an old system.

There is something very special about programming a console vs a modern PC. There's no bloat. It's like the construct in the matrix. You have nothing until you write the code. It would run super efficiently and would give the nostalgic feel of an old system, but be upgraded to look modern. I am blown away that no one has made something like this yet. I looked for a long time and couldn't find anything except clones of old systems - which is somewhat pointless in my mind.

Seeing as it would use very little resources (it would not be running a Linux distro or something, but its own very simple OS), I don't think the hardware requirements would be too stringent. Like PC133 RAM and and ARM or even a new 32-bit Z80. Maybe there is a new version of the CPU for Amiga, so it would be easier to port.

What do you think? It's more of a dream than anything cause I think Fred would have to cooperate in order to make this work. In addition, most of the libraries would probably be very hard to port, but it would be cool if just the core of PB was running and then the rest could be added later. The libraries may have to be very different anyway, so it may have to be taken from the ground up.
My blog/software site: http://dosaidsoft.com/
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: (Idea) Modern old home computer system with PureBasic

Post by wilbert »

I think it would be very hard to use PureBasic for this.

The closest thing I can think of what you want is something like the MSXVR project
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKKX6roL3Nk

It's custom hardware build around a Raspberry Pi 3B+.
It can run MSX games but also has its own VR-Script language.
Its service manual can be found on GitHub
https://github.com/msxvr/documentation
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
captain_skank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by captain_skank »

Get a ZX Spectrum Next - ( if you can find one ). :)
J. Baker
Addict
Addict

Post by J. Baker »

Creating a boot loader is simple but it would need to execute an executable that doesn't rely on an OS. Your idea sounds nice and is why I enjoy my Tandy 1000 HX but is not going to happen. Well, I can not speak for Fred but I'm 99.9% sure this is not his current interest.

Next best option is to run DOS on your computer and find a DOS based programming language you like. I prefer PowerBasic but some still use QuickBasic/Qbasic and there's a lot of source code out there to pick up on.
www.posemotion.com

PureBasic Tools for OS X: PureMonitor, plist Tool, Data Maker & App Chef

Mac: 10.13.6 / 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 / Nvidia 320M
PC: Win 7 / AMD 64 4000+ / 3GB DDR / Nvidia 720GT

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Take an old OS (WinNT/XP) and an old Purebasic version. You can change the Explorer via the registry and start your own user interface.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
J. Baker
Addict
Addict

Post by J. Baker »

mk-soft wrote:Take an old OS (WinNT/XP) and an old Purebasic version. You can change the Explorer via the registry and start your own user interface.
LOL! I was just coming here to say the same thing. Write your own interface that uses PureBasic's commandline and kill explorer. You now have Hijack OS. :lol:

Or better yet. Just create a fullscreen interace for PureBasic commandline and have it run at startup. That's the safest method. ;)
www.posemotion.com

PureBasic Tools for OS X: PureMonitor, plist Tool, Data Maker & App Chef

Mac: 10.13.6 / 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 / Nvidia 320M
PC: Win 7 / AMD 64 4000+ / 3GB DDR / Nvidia 720GT

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

Et cetera is my worst enemy
jamirokwai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamirokwai »

Nice idea!

A few years ago, I was checking the Linux-version of PureBasic. For this, I tried Damn Small Linux, about 40 mb? - the latest version dates from around 2014 (https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distr ... =damnsmall). AFAIK, I was able to play an .ogg-file and have some things displayed in full screen. You could try https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mll, which is about 10 mb.

Don't know about the dependencies on Linux today, but IF PB doesn't require a full stack window manager, that may be the way to go.

I would write a simple UI in PB to run the whole system as you described it. PB has all the commands needed for a gaming machine, I'd say. Of course, that would be a lot of work :-)
Regards,
JamiroKwai