What's the cheapest mini Pc that can run PureBasic programs?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

What's the cheapest mini Pc that can run PureBasic programs?

Post by Caronte3D »

I need the most affordable mini Pc (Windows).
Anybody have some links to look at?
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Re: What's the cheapest mini Pc that can run PureBasic progr

Post by mk-soft »

There are many mini-PCs from €160 to €800 or more.

It's best to take one that already has Window 10 Pro installed.
Depending on what you want to run, you can take a Celeron.
But I think it should be at least an Intel I3, where the price is already higher.

Just have a look at Amazon.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

To much expensive for my project :?
I hope some day PB will compile to ARM based miniPCs
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

I suggest searching for old laptops on eBay. Most of the time you can find very affordable laptops which have a way better performance than modern systems and that all for less money.
Sometimes it helps to replace the HDD with a SSD for a few bucks to gain a lot of speed.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Hardkernel has an Odroid sbc and pine64 has one too... products designed to be sbc's intentionally.

If you don't care about future availability you can get one of the surplus robot boards that are rebadged into Atomic Pi for about $40... it's got limitations but fits your general description.
https://ameridroid.com/collections/sing ... /atomic-pi
This kind of "surplus" is the only way to get a new board in this price range, but they have very limited availability.
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Caronte3D wrote:To much expensive for my project :?
Hi Caronte3D - I'm sorry that I cannot help directly with your question but just for interest and ideas :-

I also operate on a very tight budget but have several machines for development and other daily use. None were expensive and at the moment the main two are refurbished Lenovo M58 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor - not mini but quite small). The most recent was purchased on eBay last year for £40 (UK pounds) including delivery, pre-loaded with Windows 7 pro. As a precaution I fitted a brand new HDD. The processor is Core 2 Duo and they both have 4Gb RAM. I think this was a little cheaper than average but have seen others for around £50 to £60. The older PC is triple-booted with Win7 and two different Linux distros. PureBasic and compiled programs run perfectly - fast enough for me! I also have a couple of very old laptops that work fine as well.

There are other similar models from different manufacturers like HP and Dell. They are usually ex-office machines and variable in condition, but many are good quality for the price. I'm afraid I have no idea if this kind of thing is available in your area.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Caronte3D wrote:I need the most affordable mini Pc (Windows).
Anybody have some links to look at?
How small does it need to be?
How cheap should it be?
What should it be capable of? (cpu power, 3d capability, i/o, gpu?)

Often x86 system will be more expensive than for example a arm based sbc. As ARM devices get faster too, how adventorous are you? Would it be possible to live with a cheap ARM SBC which runs some kind of X86 emulation? Windows would probably be out of the emulation range, but a tiny linux x86 and some purebasic x86 software should work fine. Not if you want to run windows with some 3d tool on top of it.

Is something like a refurbished pentium possible? or the Beelink Z83-v

Or you wait for the ARM version of purebasic (it was mentioned some time ago as being in "early stage WIP"

Without more infos, its hard to say if intel NUC's would be an option.

Beware - the dirt cheap offers are sometimes 4gb machines and personally my experience - after the most recent win10 updates - on a 4gb machine was just horrible.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

Thanks to everybody!
I don't need to much computer power, but it must be a Windows system.
I think my best option is to find an used mini-pc with Windows, so that way I get what I need at a low price.
Jeff8888
User
User

Post by Jeff8888 »

Look for used Dell Optiplex. Make sure it is new enough to have USB 3. I3 should be fine. You can run 4 threads and its single thread time is quite fast. I have an Optiplex 7010 and the mechanical layout is excellent. In the states you can find these for close to $100.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Have you seen the Rock Pi X?

It's the same form factor as a Raspberry Pi but with an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Cherry Trail CPU.
Shardik
Addict
Addict

Post by Shardik »

Unfortunately the Rock Pi X has problems with the mounting of the cooler which is available separately. The screws and distance bolts don't fit to the cooler. And you will experience lots of difficulties with drivers for Windows 10, especially the WLAN driver. Currently you simply won't find a suitable WLAN driver. You will find one in a special Windows 10 Setup image from Radxa but it's a chinese version with chinese language and without licence.

The biggest european IT and tech magazine c't has yesterday published a test of the Rock Pi X but it's in German and you have register for a test subscription or have to be a subscriber of that magazine to read that test...
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

This reviewer didn't seem to have either problem. He did say the wifi didn't work out of the box with Ubuntu but had no problems with Win 10.

* edit *
or this one which from 09:00 minutes on is where he puts the heatsink on and describes the Win 10 install process.
dige
Addict
Addict

Post by dige »

I use an AcePC with Windows 10 as a home server.. runs quite well
"Daddy, I'll run faster, then it is not so far..."
ebs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ebs »

If 2GB RAM and 32GB "disk" are enough (Win 10 will use up much of this), here's one for $86 ($96 - $10 coupon):
https://www.amazon.com/ACEPC-T8-x5-Z835 ... B07D9YX3W6

Here's one with 4GB/64GB for a bit more ($110):
https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Quad-Cor ... B082ZZQVSY

Both come with Win 10 installed
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Or try to get a Google Chromebox and put a win10 OEM license on it? Should be a total price of roundabout 60-65 €

I just don't know if the driver support for the chromebox is good enough. Could be interesting to try, just for fun. I assume running a virtualbox with windows in it, on the chromeOS is a bit too slow ;)

Same for running a windows x86 emulation on a cheap ARM based system (microsoft actually announced that software some time ago)
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All